Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Kitchens from the 1930s and 1940s

January 13, 2012

Kitchens from the 1930s and 1940s

By Sablemable aka Jan

I know this is a short departure from MCM, but, on Wednesday, Pam Kueber of Retro Renovation (www.retrorenovation.com) ran a post on timeless (and horrid and unfashionable) kitchens and bathrooms.   I was particularly drawn to a reply from RR reader, Chris H who has a 1917 home and wants to redo the kitchen in the style of the Thirties and Forties.  So I wanted to do a post on said kitchens.   Chris H!  Hope you’re looking!

Images are courtesy of The General Electric Kitchen Institute cookbook dated 1935 (my booklet) and from Mid Century Home Style (www.midcenturyhomestyle.com).

I am plumb craaaaaazy over that floor!

I do believe a few, if not all, of these kitchen styles/arrangements could work in an early MCM home.

What do you think, readers?

Hope this has helped anyone looking for kitchen ideas.

20 Responses to Kitchens from the 1930s and 1940s

1. Glenn Soucy Reply

January 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

This is great!! I love the caption in the ” Before and After ” picture

If you don’t get a new GE kitchen, you’ll become old, ugly and sick!!

Wonder how many times that argument was used to GET RID OF that same GE kitchen in 1960????

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 2:35 pm

LOL, Glenn!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 13, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Love them. I wish that we easily had these creative and awesome flooring options today. Floors used to get equal attention and get to be stars of the kitchen show. Now? Meh.

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Earthaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Those floors are awesome and yeah, I’m so sick of these plain floors with no character.

3. Toni Reply

January 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for those. I like the mid century atomic look, but my true love is the 1930’s and 40’s.

4. Toni Reply

January 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Wait. How is the before and after different as it relates to moving in the workspace? The layout is the same.

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Toni, it may be from lack of cabinets to store all your stuff. I think a lot of cookware was stored in a pantry.

5. Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

All those kitchens are just gorgeous Sable! And yes, Eartha is right — whatever happened to the cool floors of yesteryear??? Now they are all SO blah…………….. 🙁

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think we were all born in the wrong era. We all should have been housewives during those times (MCM included), cooking our families’ dinners in these wonderful kitchens.

6. Annie B. Reply

January 13, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Oh, my. Look at that red Eames chair in the kitchen/desk area. Wow.
    Really cool for the 40’s.

Is that a monogrammed trash can beside that desk?

Thanks for a great post, Sable.

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Dead-Eye Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!! You’re correct; it IS monogrammed!

January 13, 2012 at 5:51 pm

OMG, LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE these kitchens, Saaaaaable! We’re debating moving, and the front runner house at the moment was built in 1925 – that top kitchen would look awesome! Those stacking stools in the first 1940s one are too cool.

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Oooh, Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! If you move into the ’25er, you are required by MCM Law to send photos, LOL!

8. Nancy Reply

January 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I am with reader Toni. My heart belongs in the 30’s and 40’s. Loved the 30’d kitchens. I want one!!!

• sablemable Reply

January 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I could hang out in one of these kitchens easily, Nancy!

9. Laura Reply

January 13, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I notice the kitchen stools in all of the photos are surprisingly modern, both in design and color. Wow! I would never have dated them to the 40s!

• sablemable Reply

January 15, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Hi, Laura! Those modern touches look good in any era!

10. Vickie Reply

January 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

Aren’t these kitchens simply stunning compared to what is offered now. The floors, except the one’s with carpeting – not nice to have carpeting in kit’s & baths – are absolutely gorgeous. I got quite a chuckle out of the “Before & After” one with the dire prediction of losing your youth, beauty & health! Hell, ANY kitchen can do that to you! Haha! But really, notice the “after” isn’t really all that different except for a few more cupboards. Quite a cute ad really & if one really believed it would preserve her youth & beauty then what the heck! It’s a state of mind :- ) Fun & interesting post!

• sablemable Reply

January 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Hi, Vickie! LOL, you’re as hilarious as Glenn and Annie B!!!

Glad you enjoyed the post!