Home » Decade » 1950 » Living With The Renovation Mess In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

January 26, 2012

Living With The Renovation Mess In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara In AZ

I have to warn y’all……………the following pictures are not pretty! Rather, they show the complete disaster that we had the condo in during the renovation. I think there were times Mom was really worried we would not be able to put it all back together again and she’d have to live on concrete floors, or not have a working shower, or just have to live in a disaster. Renovation really is a lengthy process, that involves many steps. That is why it is really important for me to show y’all everything that we went through – not just the before pictures one week and the all the after pictures the next week.

All of these pictures were taken right after we had just finished painting.

And we’re off!

Here is one of the bedrooms.We had concrete floors for what seemed like forever after we pulled the old flooring, no vent covers, no doors, and paint supplies strewn all over the place – along with the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling!

100_1658

Mom also had those lovely window coverings made out of paper and blue tape for months and months!

100_1664

Here is the Living Room area looking towards the kitchen. The folding chairs were our only furniture for months! And there are all of the closet doors and interior doors stacked up and waiting patiently to be dealt with. ugh.

100_1669

Here is the Living Room looking towards the Bedrooms and Bathroom. You know, it was a big day for me when I was able to put the outlet covers and switch plate covers back on!

100_1672

And now we are looking towards the Kitchen. The Kitchen was really the epicenter of our paint supplies. We had a bunch of trays, rollers, paint, paper towels, sponge brushes…..etc…etc… you name it, we had it!

100_1674

And here is Mom’s kitchen. I know, it looks pretty horrible doesn’t it. help.

100_1676

There are all those doors again…………..just waiting for me.  I think they are almost taunting me!

100_1677

Ok! Whew! We made it through. I promise it will only get better from here!

Come back next Thursday when we  do some plumbing and clean up the kitchen cabinets!

12 Responses to Living With The Renovation Mess In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

1. Betty Crafter Reply

January 26, 2012 at 10:45 am

Ugh. Renovations are the pits! When we were doing our house the mister was on tour for 2 months and I had to deal with it all myself – unpacking, handling renovations, taking care of the little one. It was miserable. Your mom is lucky to have your help! Looks like it’s going to be stunning in the end…

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 26, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I feel for you Betty, I really do. I cannot imagine doing all of this by myself and then have to worry about caring for my child too. You surely must be some kind of Wonder Woman!

January 26, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Nothing makes a mess more than renovations, that`s for sure! And it`s impossible to keep the mess contained, it seems.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 26, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Yes Andrea, the renovation mess sure does seem to spread like wildfire doesn’t it!

January 26, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I can still see how pretty it’s going to be! Whee! Hey, did that used to be a pass-thru where the refrigerator is now? Did the refrigerator used to be near the door or something?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

You know what Eartha, there is something funny about that area where the fridge goes. I don’t think it was ever a pass through because there is electric running behind there. Buuuuuuut, I can tell that area was once configured differently as there are hinge marks on the edges of the wood and it looks like there were possibly shelves in there at one time too. I just don’t get it though, were they just trying to conceal the appliances with cabinet doors??? Was it just a pantry??? Why is there electric then??? It looks like the stove area was different at one time too (you can’t see it in the above pic – to the right of the sink)but it looks like there could have been something built into the counter at one time, as the laminate had raw edges on the sides where the stove pushes in(like you could tell they had to probably cut out a piece of laminate a while back). I would LOVE to know what the configuration was originally. All the other units, that I have seen, have everything set up the same way though so they must have changed them all, in the same way, a long time ago.

4. Jeanne Reply

January 26, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh Thursdays how I love thee. 🙂 Your mom is lucky to have a “crew” helping! And she’s lucky to be able to do it all before moving in. It looks REALLY nice and the whole place is going to flow nicely by doing it all at once. I can’t wait!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 26, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Oh Jeanne, you are very kind to say that and I really appreciate it! I have to say, my husband and I make up quite the “crew” don’t we! 😉 We just knew we had better get everything ripped apart before Mom HAD to move in – otherwise, one drop of paint on the furniture and there would be hell to pay! 🙂

5. Onyx Reply

January 28, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Oh joy, this is what I get to look forward to once I start the real work. I wish I could just check into a hotel hahaha.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm

It is kind of dreadful, isn’t it Onyx. There were some days I felt kinda down – like this will NEVER end. But trust me, it will get better you just have to stick with it day after day after day………..

6. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

January 28, 2012 at 7:44 pm

The Mister’s father spent 30 or so years renovating their Civil War era farmhouse. And he still gets a twitch in his eye every once in a while thinking about a wall that could be knocked down or something like that. I must say that I can’t imagine living with all of that constant renovation/construction chaos but my MIL just took it all in stride.

The advantage of having a husband who grew up in a house that was constantly covered with dust and in a state of chaos is that it doesn’t take much for him to think that I’m the best housekeeper in the whole wide world (I wish!).

Even with all of the chaos, I can see that it is coming together beautifully.

You did say it only took you a couple of days to do all of this, right?

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 28, 2012 at 11:38 pm

There is no way I could ever live in constant renovation mode, it would totally drive me insane. Your MIL sounds like a saint!

It is definitely coming together, it just take SOOOOO much time! Thanks though, for the compliment.

HA! Yes, only a few short days of reno and we had it all wrapped up! 🙂