Home » Decade » 1960 » Mid-Century Modern Ways To Hide A Home Entertainment System, From Fisher’s 1964 Handbook

January 9, 2012

By RetroRuth

I don’t know about you guys, but I am always slightly puzzled about where to put modern electronics when I am trying to figure out the layout in our rooms. I love electronics (which is kind of odd, considering my love of vintage things) and Tom and I are always trying to subtlety work them into our rooms.

But no worries. Fischer is here to help us out, in 1964-style.

The New Fischer Handbook001

I know, I know, this is a guide for stereo equipment and you want to find a place to slot in a huge TV.  I know this. However, I thought the ideas in here would be good for people who need to plan a place for modern electronics in a retro room as well as  those who’ve scored a sweet vintage stereo.

If nothing else, you could enjoy the pictures!

The New Fischer Handbook002

I mean, come on. Look at these built-ins. Aren’t they gorgeous??? And I could totally see them cleverly hiding a mountain of cords and boxes and still being able to showcase a TV in the center.

The New Fischer Handbook003

There is a lot to like in this picture. Once again, a great set of built-ins that could work just as well for modern equipment as it does for that awesome stereo. Also, the carpet is sweet.

The New Fischer Handbook004

How about this coolness?  There are doors hidden in the paneled wall that pop open and contain all your records/CDs/hard-drives.

The New Fischer Handbook005

Another set of awesome built-ins, another great storage idea.

The New Fischer Handbook006

LOVE this set up! I’ll even take that light, please.

The New Fischer Handbook007

Finally, probably the most feasible (and cheapest) way to store everything; hide it all in a closet that closes.

What did I tell you?? Pure. Genius.

15 Responses to Mid-Century Modern Ways To Hide A Home Entertainment System, From Fisher’s 1964 Handbook

1. Glenn Soucy Reply

January 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

EXACTLY what I’m dealing with right now. I want to keep my hi-fi ( yeas, old vintage stuff, back when they actually cared about making a quality product)in the living room, but only have a 37″ wide area where it’ll be out of the way. Love some of the ideas in here. Back to the sketch pad!!!!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 9, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Glad I could help, Glenn! And I am jealous of your hi-fi!

January 9, 2012 at 12:08 pm

LOL, we do love our built-ins, eh Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth!

But even these designs, with cabinet doors attached in the open spaces, can hide the tv and such. Just wish I was talented enough to build one of these babies.like the 2nd picture.

January 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Oooh, these definitely have some good ideas, Ruth! I am another one who struggles with where to hide my massive amounts of technology that I so love, LOL!

4. veg-o-matic Reply

January 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

That first pictures reminds me a little bit of a much more elegant version of the Ikea ANGA system we have in our den. It hides our DVD/Cable stuff, in addition to showing off my awesome vintage toy collection.
    ‘Tis a pity that Ikea discontinued the product.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Awesome vintage toy collection? What’s this? When do we get pictures?

• veg-o-matic Reply

January 11, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Uhm, as soon as I take some…;)

5. Laura Reply

January 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I’ve given up the idea of having a large television in the living room of my 1939 Cape Cod. There simply isn’t enough room; the radiation from a screen that big would fry eyeballs. That said, I’d still like to know how to integrate my 20″ flat screen into the decor in a way that doesn’t clash with all my mid-century-ness. Cool post!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 9, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Ha! Fry eyeballs! 🙂

Glad you liked the post!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 10, 2012 at 11:03 am

Eureka! What a timely post. This morning, I was once again trying to solve the Rubik’s cube of our living room furniture arrangement. The TV’s placement has always been a sore (eyesore) spot. You just gave me a good idea for it. I’m having to work on the LR and DR due to upcoming installation of hardwood floors.

Also, love that wall unit in the first photo and the light fixture and driftwood piece in next to last.

Thanks, Ruth!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Hooray!! Happy that you were able to gets some inspiration from the pictures!

Isn’t that first wall unit fab??

7. Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2012 at 12:30 pm

These are all really FAB Ruth! I would love to have something like that first wall unit, maybe in blonde. It kinda reminds me of those Cado wall units that are so pricey. Great post!

8. Jen Reply

January 10, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Ohhh, good timing! Since we moved into this new place, our TV/electronics setup has been driving me batty. Not a fan, and we’ve been keeping our eyes open for an MCM credenza or buffet to help things out. But there are some really good ideas here to work off of! Thanks!

• RetroRuth Reply