Home » Decade » 1950 » Painting ‘Eartha Kitsch Blue’ at Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

January 12, 2012

Painting ‘Eartha Kitsch Blue’ at Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara in AZ

Oh boy y’all! We are FINALLY getting some color on these walls! Can you believe it, we finally made it to painting time!

As you may remember from my post a while back Mom picked a blue color that Eartha Kitsch , the Queen of all Kitsch,  from Ranch Dressing With Eartha Kitsch concocted on her own. I have dubbed this color ‘Eartha Kitsch Blue’.

100_1530

If anyone would like to try this color here is the paint code. I highly recommend this color, as it is very versatile and everyone who sees it falls in love with it! Thanks again for all of your help Eartha!

100_2418

Well, first we had to paint each and every wall with our white Kilz Primer. That was a blast and a half, let me tell you. It’s kind of painful to spend ALL this time painting something when you know you are just going to cover it up right quick again. But we did it, because we knew it was the right thing to do.

100_1609

And, since Mom did such an awesome job on those doors we had her in on the priming too! Just look at her prime those baseboards, Yay Mom!

100_1612

Oh my gosh, loooooooook y’all! It’s COLOR!!!!!!

I started everything out by trimming out all the kitchen areas.

100_1617

And I worked my way around the room…………………..

100_1620

You can see all the blue tape we went through. I think we single-handedly kept the blue tape manufacturers in business last summer.

100_1618

One thing I forgot to take pictures of was the painting of the trim, it is already done here – in Behr Ultra Pure White. I guess seeing white paint getting painted over white primer would not be that exciting for y’all anyway though! hee!

100_1619

Can y’all believe it!!! It’s like a miracle from Heaven isn’t it?!? We actually managed to get an ENTIRE  wall painted! Smelling salts anyone?????

100_1621

Buckle your seat belts kids, it’s another whole wall painted blue! We are finally making some progress here!

100_1623

Miracles never cease………………..

100_1624

Here it is, the last little patch of white, covered up by Eartha Kitsch Blue! I just had to stop and take a picture before I finished painting this wall. (ps – Mike says the white looks like a guy, wearing a baseball cap, carrying a TV with the cord hanging down – I think he was doing ‘cloud analyzing’ in paint! hee! He is right though!)

100_1625

Drum roll please…………………………….

YAY!!!!! We did it, we finally got all the walls painted blue!!!

100_1627

This paint is so cool, if you look at the picture above it looks more gray/blue, but in the picture below it looks a bit more green/blue. It kinda changes depending on the light, really awesome Eartha!

100_1629

Oh yes, we are FINALLY done painting!!!

100_1630

Well, except for the bathroom cabinets………………help…………………………..

Stay tuned for next week, when the renovation continues with a new Air Conditioning/Heating unit!

17 Responses to Painting ‘Eartha Kitsch Blue’ at Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

1. Glenn Soucy Reply

January 12, 2012 at 5:45 am

Really like this color. I may use it for the “under the cair rail” section of our bar.

Looking forward to the AC install. The nice thing is, it’s totally acceptable to have a modern unit in an MCM home, since they actually would have worn out.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 12, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hi Glenn! I totally recommend this color, I think you are going to love it!

The A/C REALLY needed to be changed, I’m all for maintaining vintage – but that unit just had to go! 🙂

2. Betty Crafter Reply

January 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Wow – it really looks great! It looks like a beautiful muted turquoise/robins egg blue – not to garish as blue can be sometimes. Great job Sara and Eartha!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Betty – We knew we wanted to use some color, but Mom is not really into super wild colors so this seemed like the perfect way to go. In the end it all worked out spectacular!

Yes, great job Eartha!

January 12, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Whew!!! I’m getting tired just reading these posts! 🙂

What a lot of work you guys put into the place. And you can totally see it getting better every week. What a fun journey – I’m totally loving it!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm

HA! I know right!!!! I’m tired just reading them! 🙂

I’m super glad you can tell it is improving, that really means a lot to me. Thanks Ruth!

January 12, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Wow, looking great! That blue does definitely ad a nice pop of colour!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 12, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Thanks Andrea! Stay tuned for the turquoise in the bathroom, I promise it is coming up! 🙂

January 13, 2012 at 12:11 am

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mom’s place is starting to really shape up! I’m loving the kitchen cabs, but the countertop is so 80’s?

The blue color looks great and I am impatient to see the turquoise, LOL!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2012 at 2:34 am

Thanks Sable! It really is starting to look better – finally! 🙂 I think you will love the turquoise when you see it on the cabinets.

Actually, the counter tops are completely original from 1959. They are the light brown linen look Formica.I will post a pic of them in an upcoming post.

• Annie B. Reply

January 13, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh, you’ve GOT to save those counter tops.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Oh yes, we definitely will Annie! Even though they are not perfect, they are totally staying! I’d feel like a heel pulling them out now, they’ve lasted 50 years and still look good despite this place being a rental!!!!

6. Annie B. Reply

January 13, 2012 at 10:35 am

Lovely color, Sara. It looks so soothing and as if it would be complementary to a wide range of accent colors.

You’re right about the Kilz: great stuff. We used it years ago to prep dark dark walnut colored paneling for a white finish coat. Incredible how well it worked.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Annie! This color is SO versatile, it would work well in just about any home I think. You should give it a try sometime!

We knew we had better use the Kilz and prep the walls as best we could. There are multiple layers of both wallpaper and paint and since we were not going to scrape all of that off we knew a good primer was in order.

January 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

Yay! Glad it worked! I love the way that it looks with that pretty wood. Gah…Kilz. Do you have to make me think about it every week? I can smell it just from the mention of it. 🙂 I love your Mom’s cabinets.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I think your color looks so beautiful, and really lovely against the wood cabinets – much better than the white. You know I just love to torture you by mentioning Kilz every week! 😉 Don’t worry though, next week it’s all about the A/C unit!

8. Pingback: Mike and Sara Rehab a 60s Retro Ranch : Paint City | No Pattern Required