Home » Decade » 1950 » Painting the Doors At Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

January 5, 2012

Painting the Doors At Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara In AZ

So, we are officially kicking off the painting extravaganza with this post y’all! We are done with all of the prep work, we finished priming, and now we are officially starting to paint! YAY!

Did I mention that my Mom has NEVER painted so much as one lone wall in her entire life??? I know, crazy-balls huh?!? Mom is really not a DIY’er, so I figured I had better break her in with easy projects that would not overwhelm her.

Take the front door and the screen door for example, the perfect painting project for someone who has never painted a stitch in their life. It’s fast, it’s easy, it’s done all in one day!

We taped off all the necessary areas and let Mom loose with some paint!

Then she started painting the front door! Go MOM!!! Paint those little diamonds!!! We had to stay with the green front door paint because all the doors in the complex are green as per the HOA.

Little diamonds getting painted!

Just as a reminder, here was the front door before the new paint. It was pretty scratched up and scuffed up too. It definitely needed new paint!

Ahhhhhhhh much, much  better Mom! Great job! And, you can even see a sneak peek of the Eartha Kitsch blue paint!

100_2070   100_2075

Mom did such a great job painting the front door that we thought the shed door could use some spiffing up too. The shed door was pretty beat up. It had a bunch of holes that needed to be patched, so Mike went to town patching like crazy, and then we let Mom loose with the paint again!

Here is the inside of the shed door. I know, crazy huh?!? What were they doing, using this door as a punching bag???

Yay Mom! You go girl!!!!

And here is the finished shed door! SO much better!!!!

100_1761  100_1763

Great job Mom! I’d say she did pretty darn well for someone who had never painted before!

Come back next week when we paint the walls Eartha Kitsch blue!

15 Responses to Painting the Doors At Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

January 5, 2012 at 11:24 am

Hee! Eartha Kitsch blue! I might just become a brand like Sherwin Williams. 🙂 Your Mom is a trooper. I haaaaaaaaaaaate painting doors. Give me a whole room of walls – fine. One door – cranky. I love the door with the diamonds.

• RetroRuth Reply

January 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

“Buy Eartha Kitsch Brand Paints – They’re the Kitchiest on Earth!”

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

January 5, 2012 at 2:02 pm

“May or may not contain glitter and cat hair.”

• RetroRuth Reply

January 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

“Warning: Eartha Kitsch products have been shown to induce sparkling good taste and may result in happiness and/or uncontrollable glee.”

• Sara In AZ

January 5, 2012 at 10:56 pm

HA! You know I think the both of you really have something there – ‘Eartha Kitsch’ brand paint. With Ruth as the pitchwoman how can you go wrong?!? MCM lovers everywhere will literally be clamoring for Eartha Kitsch paint!!!

2. Betty Crafter Reply

January 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

January 5, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Great job, Sara’s mom! I am also drooling over that front door, awesome!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 5, 2012 at 10:59 pm

She did pretty darn good, didn’t she? And thanks too!!!

January 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

You guys are doing such a great job – that shed door is like night and day! You are KILLING me with the slow posts here! 🙂

And I agree with everyone – that door is awesome!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks Ruth! That is very kind of you to say. You KNOW I have to drag out these posts so y’all can live through all the tedious boring stuff just like I had to in real life! 🙂

Funny thing about her door y’all. They are different on all of the different units. Some original doors have already gone to door heaven, ugh, 🙁 ,but of all the original ones left hers is the only one with the little diamonds in it. I say she got the best one!

5. DrJulieAnn aka The Modern Retro Woman Reply

January 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I didn’t realize the door was green. On my laptop, it looks brown. Go figure.

And I agree about the shed door. I mean, really? How can one make so many holes in a door accidentally?

• Yinzerella Reply

January 5, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Damn meth addicts.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

You just never know, do you Yinzerella????

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 5, 2012 at 11:09 pm

The door is a really dark green, so I can see why it may appear brown-ish to you.

That shed door was SO sad wasn’t it. I just knew we could not leave it like that.ugh. MUCH better now!!!!