Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Glendale, Wisconsin

January 29, 2012

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Glendale, Wisconsin

By Sablemable aka Jan

Oh, my!  Retro Ruth sent this on to me and I am just speechless!

At 2217 W. Acacia Road in Glendale (Milwaukee County) is this absolutely beautiful MCM gem!  The year built is unknown, but I think we can safely say that it was built in the mid to late 50s, early 60s.  There are 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and a carport.  Philippines mahogany is used throughout the house.  The price is $349,000.00 and the home is listed with Shorewest Realtors-Downtown.  The agent is Jack H. Smith and you may reach him at 414-226-4570.

Please have at the ready smelling salts, oxygen and 9-1-1 on autodial.

THE FRONT AND BACK

BATHROOM 1

BTHBL

BATHROOM 2

BTHPNK

THE BASEMENT

BS

God bless the owners for not renovating this home!  New owners-LEAVE IT ALONE!

24 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Glendale, Wisconsin

1. Sara In AZ Reply

January 29, 2012 at 12:16 pm

That house is stunning! Great find!

January 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Wow, I am nearly speechless – what a GORGEOUS house! I do have to admit that I might take out the rust coloured carpet, though, there is a lot of it!

3. Betty Crafter Reply

January 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I can’t breathe. It’s stunning! Just goes to show that good design is timeless. Although I agree with Andrea – it would be no huge tragedy to replace that carpet. I think hardwoods would be lovely with all that brick. Or cork…

• Andrea Reply

January 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’m with you, Betty, hardwood all the way on this one – it would really take the house to the next level!

4. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

January 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm

WANT THIS HOUSE!!

5. Nancy Reply

January 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Wow! Let’s home no one decides it needs granite and greige! Thanks for sharing.

6. Shannon H. Reply

January 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Beautiful wood! Yes, let’s hope the new owners appreciate the house as it is and for one thing don’t cover the wood with paint like a previous owner did to the mahogany doors and trim in my house.

7. nickarmadillo Reply

January 29, 2012 at 4:13 pm

This place is amazing! The owners seem to have taken a lot of care to keep it faithful to the original design. If I had the money and lived in Milwaukee, I’d snatch this one right up.

8. Uncle Atom Reply

January 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm

This one is really great, I love all the brick work and paneling. I’d also do hardwood floors, although I could see doing a nice custom mosaic floor of some kind in one of the rooms.

9. Jamie Reply

January 29, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I actually SAW this house this past summer when my wife and I were house hunting. It’s unoccupied, so we got to nose around and look through all the windows. It is an architectural gem – I think a neighbor told us that it was a Frank Lloyd write student (duh). The only down side is a lack of garage and a price tag that was out of our budget. 🙁 I’m surprised it’s still on the market!

• RetroRuth Reply

January 31, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Wow! You actually got to see it??? Nice! That is really too bad it doesn’t have a garage though – that is a big thing!

10. Lenora Reply

January 29, 2012 at 9:33 pm

GASP!!!!!

11. Lara aka Retro ReDesign Reply

January 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm

OMG I am in LOVE!
    This definitely has a FLW look & feel!
    I live Near Milwaukee & I MUST GO SEE THIS!

Oh, If I only had the Money & Wanted to live in Glendale… This would be perfect 🙂

12. Mary Reply

January 30, 2012 at 11:19 am

Cool house! and no doubt with a vintage bar the basement aka Rumpus Room could be a happening place. Though not sure how much excitement is going on in Glendale Wisconsin…

13. Rachael Reply

January 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

super cool! i am pinning this for sure. you could hold a gymnastics tournament in that living room, it is huge!

14. Kate Reply

January 30, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Hey! Glendale is just as exciting as Milwaukee since it takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the heart of downtown…but I’m partial because I live in Glendale! 🙂 Also this house is very cool. Too bad it was WAY outta my price range…

15. Deborah Wall Reply

January 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

mindblowing!

16. Mai Reply

January 31, 2012 at 6:58 am

Oh lord, I almost passed out.

17. Mary Reply

January 31, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Kate,
    Good to know! I’m sure it’s a very nice area and no doubt clean and low crime…

January 31, 2012 at 10:59 pm

I just adore this place!!! Those bathrooms! That kitchen! That living room! Sigh…it’s just so perfect…

19. Cynthia Reply

February 4, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I love the triangular spec of light in the first bathroom. Makes me want to see the window!

20. Camille Reply

February 6, 2012 at 11:34 am

What a beauty. It appears to have some storage in that super cool carport. I think I could live without a garage.

21. Pearls Reply

January 27, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’m curious if this is still on the market! Who is this Retro Ruth?! I’m really interested in MCM houses like this in the Madison and Milwaukee area. How do you find these houses?!!!? Is there a realtor that specializes in this?

• RetroRuth Reply

January 27, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi Pearls! I am RetroRuth and I run this blog! 🙂 The time capsule homes that we feature are discovered through many hours of checking home listings and from reader submissions and tips. Unfortunately, we do not know of any realtor who specializes in MCM in that area, but I suggest just calling around to real estate offices and I am sure someone will be able to give you some info to help you!