Home » Decade » 1940 » The Do’s And Don’ts of Authentic 1940’s Window Treatments, Plus Seven Valance Designs!

February 6, 2012

By RetroRuth

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of Popular Home Decorations at my library book sale recently. Oh man, is this thing filled with great ideas!  It is written by Mary Davis Gillies, who was an Associate Editor at McCall’s Magazine. Popular Home Decorations was published in 1940, and is absolutely packed full of great room inspiration and decorating tips.  Lots of pictures will be uploaded soon, but for right now, we all get to bask in the glory of 1940’s window treatments!

Popular Home Decoration032

Are you basking? Okay…keep basking…bask…bask…bask…aaaaaaand done.

Whew, feel inspired now?  Then it’s time to learn about some authentic 1940’s window treatments!

Okay, first off on our window treatment tour, the DON’TS of 1940’s windows:

Popular Home Decoration025

Popular Home Decoration025

Popular Home Decoration025

Have you learned your lesson? Then let’s check out some DO’S for some fab curtains:

Popular Home Decoration025

Popular Home Decoration025

Popular Home Decoration025

Did you notice that adorable valance in the last picture?  I don’t know about you guys, but I love valances. Luckily, the author of this book does, too, and has a bunch of neat, authentic valance ideas.

Popular Home Decoration029

Popular Home Decoration029

Popular Home Decoration029

Popular Home Decoration029

Popular Home Decoration029

Popular Home Decoration030

Popular Home Decoration031

Umm…a circus tent valance for kitchens?? Yeah. Yeah! I can see where they are going with that. Hmmm…maybe a kitchen like this:

Source: amtvintageblog.blogspot.com via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

Whoa.

8 Responses to The Do’s And Don’ts of Authentic 1940’s Window Treatments, Plus Seven Valance Designs!

1. Sara In AZ Reply

February 6, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Some of those valences are super cute, I will have to try them out if we ever find our dream home!

That Carousel kitchen is so funny isn’t it? I remember seeing a pic of it a long time ago and thinking it was hee-larious!

• RetroRuth Reply

February 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Awww! Don’t worry, Sara! You will find the right house someday!

I LOVE that Carousel kitchen pic, and I had been trying to think of a way to fit it in a post ever since I first saw it. 🙂

February 6, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The circus tent valance really is a cute idea for a kids room. However, I think I would feel like I was on some sort of extremely long LSD trip in that carousel kitchen, LOL.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 6, 2012 at 3:03 pm

It is a cute idea for a kid’s room, isn’t it? I just question whether or not it would be so great in a kitchen…even a carousel kitchen! 🙂

February 6, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m pretty sure that I’ve committed some drapery sins in the past. I love that carousel kitchen. I’d love that thing up if it were mine.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 6, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Honey, you and that carousel kitchen were made for each other!!! 🙂

And yes, I am right with you on the drapery sins. Shame, thy name is “hard triangle”!!

4. Annie B. Reply

February 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Thank you, Ruth, for saving me from a life of shame. Who knows how many “don’t” black marks I have on my decorating resume. Ouch.

At present, my curtains are tied into messy little balls just shy of the window sill. This is to keep them out of the way of floor renovation. I’m starting to like this window treatment. Not good!

5. Tasha Reply

May 6, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Love window treatments! And someday I’ll tackle them. Though I’m sure my biggest window treatment sin is almost never doing anything with them…

Those pinwheel ones are pretty amazing, but the circus tent takes the cake. That kitchen is rather mind-blowing.