Home » Culture & Media » The Mid-Century Menu In The Wall Street Journal And Extra Pictures That Didn’t Make The Cut

February 27, 2012

By RetroRuth

So, as you may (or may not) know, I was in The Wall Street Journal last Thursday with a mention of The Mid-Century Menu and some pictures of my annual Easter Lamb Cake! I am at the end of the awesome article Playing Kitchen Detective: Home Cooks Try to Recreate Family Recipes. The article really turned out fantastic, and there are some great tips in there for people who are looking to replicate family dishes exactly. My favorite bit was the vintage vegetable slicer that was used for a vintage coleslaw recipe. Love it!

My annual quest for the perfect lamb cake is mentioned at the end of the article, but I have several awesome pictures in there, including:

My vintage lamb cake pan from my grandmother!

Grandma 008

A dinner party for friends given by my grandparents. My grandmother is the one on the left in the back.

Grandma 005

Chocolate lamb cake, 1998

Grandma 003

Eating the lamb cakes with my family, 1998. My older sister, Sarah, is next to me. My brother, Jon, is on the left and my mom, Cher, is cutting the lambie’s butt.

But of course, all the pictures I sent them didn’t make it into the article. Here are some that didn’t make the cut!

A couple of shots of the lamb pan, as photographed by Tom.

Grandma 007

A shot of my grandmother from my grandparent’s engagement photo session.

Grandma 009

My grandparents at a barbeque. My grandmother is the one in the right in the awesome border print dress. My grandfather is working the other grill with his back to the camera.

Grandma 002

A shot of me as a baby, being held my by grandma. One of my favorites!

Grandma 004

The first lamb cake, 1995. You can tell from the mess that it was hard work.

And, what story would be complete without a picture of someone actually enjoying the lamb cake???

Grandma 006

19 Responses to The Mid-Century Menu In The Wall Street Journal And Extra Pictures That Didn’t Make The Cut

February 27, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ruth! That is SO cool that you got into the Wall Street Journal!! I love these photos too. They’re so great. I have a lamb pan but have been trying to work up the nerve to make a lamb cake.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 27, 2012 at 10:13 am

Well, I am going to be testing out a TON of lamb cake recipes and gathering up tips from all of the wonderful emails I got in response to the article and posting them on the Mid-Century Menu. Hopefully it will help make all of our lamb cake dreams come true! 🙂

2. nickarmadillo Reply

February 27, 2012 at 11:09 am

What a cute cake! I’d make one for my girlfriend’s birthday, but I don’t know if she’d be able to cut into the poor thing.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 27, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I have to admit, it is kind of hard to slice off the head. Especially if it’s got a really cute face!

• Andrea Reply

February 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

It looks like your brother has no problem eating the head, though! LOL

3. Vickie Reply

February 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

Congratulations on the article! Your lamb cake & pan are adorable. I love your grama’s dress at the barbeque!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

February 27, 2012 at 12:02 pm

YAY on the WSJ article, you completely deserve it girl!

Your Grams is gorgeous and I completely want to steal that dress!!!

I know that chocolate lamb cake is just chocolate coconut, but I can’t help thinking that sautéed onions are slathered all over the poor thing every time I look at that pic. 🙂

I NEED to make a lamb cake at least once in my life!

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

February 27, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh god, Sara! Now I see sauteed onions too!! We all need to get lamb pans and have some kind of showdown.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Oh my goodness!!! A meatloaf and mashed potato lamb covered with sauteed onions! Or a lamb frosted sandwich loaf! The mind reels. If you are down for a showdown, let me know!

5. Ingrid Reply

February 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Congratulations on the article. It was really interesting and the recipes look great. It’s so nice that you’re receiving the recognition you deserve.

• RetroRuth Reply

February 27, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thanks so much, Ingrid!!! You are so sweet. 🙂

6. Jen Reply

February 28, 2012 at 12:30 am

Wow, love ALL the photos and the story. What a cool tradition! Congrats on the article, too. Wow, so cool!

7. Faith Reply

March 2, 2012 at 10:58 am

Where have you been all my life! Just found you on Pinterest and I’m in love with your blog!

8. Renee Reply

March 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

I had that exact same pan and I donated it to the Goodwill…I could never get the cake to come out of the pan without falling apart. Major fail. We’re back to making an Easter Bunny out of two cake rounds.

9. Pingback: In the spotlight: Brini & Eartha Kitsch, Betty Crafter,Mary Deluxe, Jon & Trixi, and Retro Ruth — Retro Renovation

10. Karen Reply

March 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hooray! How fabulous!

11. thethriftygal Reply

March 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

I also have that lamb cake pan (handed down from my mother in law) and you have inspired me to try it out! Love the photos 🙂

12. Elly Reply

March 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

Congratulations on the well deserved mention! What a fascinating piece.