Home » Decorating & Home » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting – Hidden Gem Edition!

February 7, 2012

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting – Hidden Gem Edition!

By Betty Crafter

I did make another felt puppet, but not the gang of them I’d planned.  I made the kitty one:

But I’m not as excited about her as I was the owl, and it kind of killed my enthusiasm for making a bunch of these.  I couldn’t figure out a way to make whiskers that looked decent for the life of me so she is without, which I think make her look a little less like a kitty.  Maybe that’s why I’m over the felt puppet adventure.  So…just the owl and kitty puppets for Little Betty’s birthday.   My energies have been refocused on making her a last minute doll with outfits.  But I do have something else to show you that I think is pretty neat!  Have you ever found something unexpected tucked away in something else?  That happens to me fairly often considering how much time I spend with old things.  This week I was putting my stack of Workbasket magazines in the shop and while I was sorting through them I found this darling pattern tucked away between them:

It appears to be for a cute-as-a-bug’s-ear nursery set including a quilt:

and curtains and linens:

In addition to the sweetest animal appliques you’ve ever laid an eyeball on, it also includes letter templates for monograms:

and, bizarrely, a catnip mouse:

If I was pregnant I’d totally make this.

Have any of you ever found something fantastic tucked away?

9 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting – Hidden Gem Edition!

1. Annie B. Reply

February 7, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Love your puppet, BC; also love the grouping of figurines next to her.

One of the most memorable things-in-things I’ve found came from a 1957 Ladies Home Journal home decorating book. This was a yellowed letter with no date on it, but was apparently written during an approaching hurricane with vivid descriptions of wind and rain. The letter ends abruptly and makes me wonder what happened to the writer. Probably just that the electricity went out, but who knows?? Wooooooo…….

• Betty Crafter Reply

February 7, 2012 at 1:50 pm

That’s so cool Annie! I always seem to find risque things. On more than one occasion I’ve found naughty pictures – once tucked away in a sewing pattern. I’m sure that poor lady forgot all about them. I feel a strange responsibility to keep them safe so they don’t end up out there. She’d roll over in her grave I’m sure!

February 7, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Your kitty puppet is cute! And that was definitely a super cute pattern to find tucked away. The only thing I’ve ever found tucked away was the note with my Lily Speed-o-Weave – it seems that one lady was lending it to her friend, and not liking the weather that year, LOL

3. Sara In AZ Reply

February 7, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I still love the kitty puppet anyway, even sans the whiskers! 🙂

The only thing I ever found were some doilies shoved into the recesses of my one armed couch, and here I was certain that I’d be pulling out $100 dollar bills! 😉

• Betty Crafter Reply

February 7, 2012 at 1:48 pm

That happened to my step mom’s friend! She found $10,000 under the cushions of an old chair. Lucky!!

February 7, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Aww…I think the kitty is sweet as well, even without her whiskers! I think you should press on with the puppets until you have made one that looks like little Betty! 🙂

I found a vintage space-man Valentine in the pages of a Dick and Jane book that belonged to my Dad. It is mighty cute! http://www.nopatternrequired.com/2011/02/lifes-little-thrifting-extras/