Home » Decade » 1950 » A NuTone Commodore Medicine Cabinet Is Installed in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo

March 8, 2012

By Sara In AZ

Here is the way the bathroom started off, with a medicine cabinet on the right and a mirror above the sink.

mirror

Ultimately, there was nothing wrong with this set-up at all. For sure, we were doing nothing to the original medicine cabinet on the left. But, when I removed the mirror, in order to paint, it got me to thinking. Hmmmmmm, it sure would be nice to have one of those vintage looking NuTone medicine cabinets in here, wouldn’t it?

So that’s just what we did! We ordered the NuTone Commodore Medicine Cabinet!

We decided on the NuTone Commodore VM224P. The ‘24P’ stands for 24” plastic, because the sliding doors were plastic. The model we went with did not have the mirrored sliding doors, it has see through textured styrene sliding doors.

c1

We bought the VM224 medicine cabinet from seller built-in-housing-products on e-Bay. He has a few different sizes listed in his auctions, so if you are interested you should check it out. Below is the NuTone Commodore unit we bought from them.

nutone

The instruction sheet……SO many instructions for one little mirror isn’t it! Smile

100_1982

Here is the wall before we hung the new medicine cabinet. See, I told y’all I would leave some of the old wallpaper hidden underneath for someone to discover years down the road!

100_1963

Mike attached a large paint paint stick to the wall so we could check for level as we made our initial marks for the screws that attach the hanging brackets.

100_1965

Now the hanging brackets are partially attached and we are checking for level again before we anchor the hanging brackets down.

100_1966

And here are the brackets completely installed!

100_1969

There were also a few screws that had to be secured inside the cabinet. Mike is using a paint stick as a buffer as he pre-drills into the block wall, as he does not want to mark up the interior of the cabinet as he drills down.

100_1972

And here is Mom’s new NuTone Medicine Cabinet! YAY! I say there can never be enough storage in the bathroom, it’s kind of fun having that little cabinet below the mirror.

100_1976

Here is a close up of the cabinet.

100_1978

Here is a close up of the Styrene/Plastic door. It’s ok that it is not glass, but if we ever wanted to change it out I’m sure we could just go down to our local glass shop and have them cut some little doors for us. The plastic doors totally work though, and Mom just loves her new cabinet!

100_1980

Come back next Thursday when we go through the ups and downs of replacing the all shower water valve stems. It was the best of times……..it was the worst of times………..eek.

21 Responses to A NuTone Commodore Medicine Cabinet Is Installed in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo

March 8, 2012 at 8:40 am

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! (and Miiiiiiiiiiike! and Mommmmmmmmmmmm!!!!) Mom’s place is really shaping up nicely! Love the Nutone; puts the bathroom in true retro mode!

Good job!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Thanks Saaaaaaaaaaable!!!! 🙂 We think the NuTone cabinet worked out really well and it definitely puts the bathroom in retro mode!

2. Charltote Reply

March 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

That cabinet is rad! Also, how awesome that Mike is so handy. I’ll bet your mom is glad about that, too!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Thanks so much Charltote! Oh gosh, I do know what I’d (or Mom) would do if Mike wasn’t SO handy; I mean I can do some stuff but I have to admit he was the real brains/handyman behind this project!

3. Jeanne Reply

March 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love it! I just can’t believe EVERYTHING you guys are doing (have done) to the condo!!! I hope when you’re done posting all the improvements, you do a time frame wrap-up (how long it took for everything, how long before your mom could move-in, etc.).

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Thank you so much Jeanne! I know, the projects just seem to go on forever don’t they! 🙂 We knew we pretty much had one shot at doing it up right, so we went for it! I will definitely try to do a time frame wrap up!

4. Silvercat Reply

March 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Cute! I have to admit, a year ago I thought that style of medicine cabinet looked tacky and cheap, because I had only seen them in worn out bathrooms. But in a really nice bathroom it’s looks great! And I like the texture of the plastic.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:31 pm

That really means a lot Silvercat, and I appreciate your honesty! If I can just show one person that something retro looking can work well by today’s standards it would mean the world to me. We wanted to stay true to the 1950s condo and not install something that would look completely out of place. Stay tuned, in a few short weeks the final bathroom reveal!

March 8, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Wow!!! I LOVE the way that looks in the bathroom. It looks fantastic in that corner, I bet your mom is just thrilled. Can’t wait to see the saga of the shower!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Thanks Ruth!!!! 🙂 I think it looks (and works) SO much better than just the mirror. And Mom is thrilled! Ugghhh, the shower – just you wait……….

March 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Looks great! And you’re right, there can never be enough storage in a bathroom, for sure!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thank you Andrea! You know what it funny, Mom’s 1 condo bathroom has more storage than both of my bathrooms combined! Seriously. I tell you, they built those places up right!

7. Laura Reply

March 8, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Omigosh. I had NO idea they still made this style of cabinet. I’m in love! I always thought they gave you a quick, convenient place to stash all those little things that end up cluttering a bath counter. Too awesome! It looks great! I can’t wait to see the total package!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Laura, ok that’s 2 things on the checklist for your bathroom re-model – a vintage-y looking bar light AND a NuTone Medicine cabinet! 🙂

Mom is super in love with this cabinet and I totally agree with you that it is SO convenient to have that little storage area below.

I have been keeping up with your blog, and saw you post update on the light you missed out on……just wanted to let you know (still can’t comment). Hope you are feeling better soon!

8. Policate Reply

March 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Sssssssssssssqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thank you for reminding me about these! I screwed up during our remodel and forgot to tell the contractor we wanted to replace the medicine cabinet with a new one and he sheet rocked over the hole. I was really really bad and was going to put one in without telling him after he was gone (me+rotozip=very bad idea) but I love this idea so much more!

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 8, 2012 at 8:43 pm

HA! You are too funny Policate – you were going to sneak in a medicine cabinet after your contractor left! 🙂

Mom totally loves this cabinet, so I can’t recommend it enough. They have a few different styles too so check out their website. And in the meantime – stay away from that rotozip! 😉

March 9, 2012 at 11:09 am

It looks awesome! And Mike is so thorough. I love it.

We got a different model and had a good deal of problems with our NuTone cabinet. They kept arriving broken and with twisted metal. In the end, we got a good one though. Like you, I wish that some of the plastic parts were glass instead. Our has dinky plastic handles to slide the mirrored doors and every time that I touch them, I wish that NuTone had gone all the way with the quality since they’re cornering the market.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Thanks Eartha!

I was curious which NuTone cabinet you have? That completely sucks you had SO much trouble getting a cabinet that wasn’t all wrecked up. 🙁

You are right, NuTone could step it up a bit and include glass doors and steel handles, I’m sure it would not cost THAT much more!

10. Annie B. Reply

March 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm

You guys are amazing. I so want to live in Mom’s condo.

• Sara In AZ Reply

March 9, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Thanks so much Annie!

HA! I want to live in Mom’s condo too! 🙂

11. Heidi Reply

July 25, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Nice cabinet! What is the diagonal dimension (upper left to lower right) across just the face of the mirror, in inches?
    Thanks!