Home » Decorating & Home » Color My Beautiful MCM Home

April 13, 2012

Color My Beautiful MCM Home

By Sablemable aka Jan

Remember this book?  Color guru and entrepreneur Carole Jackson brought us the wonderful world of color according to our personal coloring and classified us as seasons: Winter, Summer, Spring and Autumn.

Imagine my surprise and joy in finding an article in the April 1950 issue of Better Homes and Gardens about decorating your home according to your hair color!

For the redhead………..

Did you know that your gray hair makes you regal?

Such a retro term, “brownette.”

Blonde hair, blonde furniture.

Now for the brunettes, which also includes those with black hair.

This was a fun article and I hope you all enjoyed it.

By the way, have any of you decorated your home using colors that compliment your hair color?  I confess that I prefer gray and pastel colors, which go with my ash blonde-going-gray hair.

(All images are from my own personal collection)

11 Responses to Color My Beautiful MCM Home

1. Annie B. Reply

April 13, 2012 at 10:51 am

Oh, Sable. I love this. Great interiors. I wonder what they’d suggest for the ones like me who constantly change hair color??

• sablemable Reply

April 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Annieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! I’ve missed you, girl! Hope you have been well!

LOL, how about taking a bit from each hair color recommendations! Then all your bases, er, hair coloring will be covered! (pun intended)

April 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

That cracks me up. What…is our entire life one big photo shoot? That said, pink and coral make the complexion look better. I wonder what the heck all of my greens and blues around here are doing with my dark hair. I probably look a complete conflicted mess.

• sablemable Reply

April 15, 2012 at 5:16 pm

LOL, Earthaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! LOL @photo shoot!

No, your choices of greens and blues look good with your dark hair!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

April 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

hee! I’m glad they said blonde furniture is ok for red hair too, otherwise what would I do with all my Heywood!!! 🙂

• sablemable Reply

April 15, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Me 2, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

April 13, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I should have been a redhead, apparently, based on my decoration color choices!

• sablemable Reply

April 15, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! From what I’ve seen, your hair appears to be black and guess what? You can use warm shades/tones, at least until you turn totally gray, LOL!

5. Dawn Reply

April 14, 2012 at 11:55 pm

“She knows that there are certain colors she can’t wear any more than she can change the color of her hair.” Yes, but I’m a naughty “box” redhead who wears pink! I know quite scandalous. That said, the article was a trip and I loved it.

• sablemable Reply

April 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thanx, Dawn! You have more guts than I do about turning “red!” I’m just too chicken to try it!

6. lara jane Reply

April 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I love that I’m naturally drawn to the “redhead” palette, to complement my artificially red hair!