Home » Decade » 1950 » Installing The New Kohler Bathroom Faucet In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

April 12, 2012

Installing The New Kohler Bathroom Faucet In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

By Sara In AZ

I sincerely wish that I knew what the original bathroom faucet looked like in Mom’s condo. I’m super sure that it was tons better than this off the shelf model from the big box stores.

100_1600

This faucet was just all wrong for the 1950s look we were going for, plus it was in horrible shape, so we knew it was going to be replaced. My Mom LOVES Kohler products more than anything else, you will remember we installed a Kohler Toilet in the bathroom a while back.  We eventually decided on the Polished Chrome Kohler Memoirs Stately Design Centerset Faucet. We ordered the faucet from Home Depot, but you have to go through a big book in the bathroom faucet aisle (as these are only special order)  to find these and then you must make sure that you have the right code for ordering the specific finish you want.  The price for the faucet at Home Depot was around $200.

f1

So, we were all excited about ordering the faucet and we could hardly contain ourselves until the shipment finally arrived. When it finally came we picked it up and rushed over to install the fabulous new faucet in the bathroom and then this happened………

100_1714

Yeah. I know, right? Bleeeeeeppppppp!!!!!!!

So, we just thought we’d hook it up like this anyway and Mom probably wouldn’t even notice. hee! Just kidding y’all! Winking smile

100_1715

The faucet was just too big to fit in the holes. ugghhhh. All sorts of things were running through my mind. Would we even be able to use this faucet…like ever? This was a special order, will they take it back??? Would we be able to use ANY nice faucet??? Were we stuck with using the old faucet??? Are we doomed???? Help.

100_1717

We left the condo defeated. We were depressed that night and really were stumped by what to do.  Mike said he was just going to stew on it a while and stop by Home Depot the next day and just roam around, maybe he would get some inspiration there.

Well, stew on it he did y’all! The next day he devised a plan that if he could enlarge the mounting holes just a bit more that faucet would totally fit right in. So he roamed and he roamed until he came across this, the Roto Zip. It’s called a drywall router on the Home Depot website, but you can change out the bits and use it for other things besides drywall cutting too.

100_1722

Mike found this X-Bit diamond tipped bit for detailed cutting of porcelain tile. He thought it would work well to enlarge the holes just slightly, while not damaging the sink itself. I thought I could wear it as a pendant after we were done, seeing that it has 3.5 carts of diamond grit on it! Winking smile

f2

I’ll admit, I was insanely nervous about doing this to the sink. I knew if we cracked it or damaged it there would be hell to pay from my Mom, plus we would be hard pressed to find another one, then what were we going to do…………

So Mike forged ahead, and went on his merry way Roto Zipping the sink.

100_1719

It was almost too much for me to stomach watching. eeks!!!

100_1720

And then the moment of truth, would it fit????

Holy Mother, YES!!!!!!!!

100_1724

And here Mike is setting the faucet on the plumbers putty.

100_1725

And here he is hooking up the water lines.

100_1726

And it actually works!!!!

100_1728

YAY!!!!!

100_1731

Thanks Roto Zip AND Mike!!!! Ahhhhhhh, much better!!!!

OK y’all, come back next Thursday for part one of the final bathroom reveal!

20 Responses to Installing The New Kohler Bathroom Faucet In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

1. Uncle Atom Reply

April 12, 2012 at 7:01 am

Mike is da MAN! Looks great!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Thanks Uncle!!! Hee! Yes, Mike is ‘Da Man’ isn’t he! 🙂

2. Tasha Reply

April 12, 2012 at 9:17 am

Yay! And OMG, even reading it my heart was palpitating for you as he started in on the holes. I’m so glad it worked out!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I know Tasha, I was completely in fits while he was all calmly grinding away! I guess at least one of us could handle the pressure well huh! 🙂

April 12, 2012 at 9:37 am

God, I was a nervous wreck even though I knew how it turned out! Mike is fearless…FEARLESS! That’s one fine looking faucet that said.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Thank you Eartha!!! 🙂 You are right, Mike has no fear at all does he!?! I on the other hand would have been shaking like a leaf and would have chipped the entire sink up!

4. Charlotte Reply

April 12, 2012 at 10:54 am

So, can I just say that Mike rules?

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Charlotte – Yes!!! Let’s just put it out there right now – Mike rules!!! 🙂

5. Vickie Reply

April 12, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Blowing the dust off the old pom-pom’s here! Yaay Mike!

And I think you are right on with that faucet Sara. I think I mentioned that bathroom is almost exactly the same as mine & your new faucet looks very much like the original one we had to take off many years ago. LOVE it! GREAT job!

~Vickie~

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ha! You are too funny Vickie, pom-poms – love it! 🙂

Thank you though, we think the faucet turned out really well and if you ever want to change your faucet back to a vintage looking one – I can definitely recommend this one.

We must see pics of your bathroom sometime!!!!

6. Martha K. Reply

April 12, 2012 at 1:51 pm

You two are just AWESOME!!!! There is just nothing you can’t do and do PERFECTLY!!!! Do you have any idea how much power and confidence you give your loyal audience? That faucet is gorgeous.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Martha K – That is such a kind and generous comment, thank you SOOOOO much! You have no idea how much I appreciate that and how much it means to me. 🙂

I was REALLY hoping that by blogging about all the different things we have been able to do at the condo everyone would see that if we could do it they could do it too!

7. Laura Reply

April 12, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Wow, I can SO identify with this. I’ve had projects where I just had to bail, I was practically sick to my stomach at all the possible things that could go wrong. Everything is looking SO good with this. I can hardly wait to see the total package! Woo-hoo!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 5:30 pm

I was worried Laura, I really did not think we were going to be able to get out of this jam. I tell you, this bathroom was just a thorn in our side until the very,very end!

Ooooohhhhh can you stand the wait……one more week!!! 🙂

April 12, 2012 at 4:37 pm

The new faucet looks gorgeous! You guys are so brave to enlarge the holes on the sink,eeeeek! It sure turned out awesome, though!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 12, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Thank you so much Andrea!!! That sink….it was giving me heart palpitations the entire time he was grinding away on it!!! 🙂

April 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I agree with everyone: Mike is ridiculously awesome. I would have just burst into tears and run out of the room if I had to do something like that to a vintage sink.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I know, what would ever really get done in this condo without Mike?!? And, I think I did almost burst into tears a few times! 🙂

10. Annie B. Reply

April 13, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sara,

Mom’s condo just gets classier and classier. I want to move in with Mom while we borrow you and Mike to work on our place!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 13, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oh gosh, thanks Annie! 🙂 Ha! I know, Mike and I should start up a roaming renovation crew and fix all the retro houses across America in need of special attention!