Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Libbey Continental Mugs, Turi-Design Scandinavian Dishware and a Buffalo Glass

April 30, 2012

By RetroRuth

So, I’ve been trying to take it easy on the thrifting lately because I really, really don’t want  Tom to leave me. But I kind of failed a little these last two weeks.

And by failed, I mean I got some really fun stuff.

But not too much stuff. I’ve made a pledge to only by things if they are in useable shape, if they are something I’ve never seen before, something I’ve been looking for, or something I decide at the last second that I really, really want.

Which means that I am pretty much back where I was before I made the pledge.

But look at these glasses!

A set of six vintage Libbey Continental Mugs with a brass/gilt Greek Key design. These are apparently hot and cold mugs with removable handles, and I am really excited about them because I got them to go with my coffee carafe collection!

See? Perfect, huh?

Now I just need to have some people over for coffee.

Or juice, so they can drink out of this glass:

Yep! It’s a buffalo glass! From New Buffalo, of course.

And then I need to serve some food at my party, so I can break these guys out:

Two Scandinavian pieces designed by Turi Gramstad Oliver, a serving plate in the “Lotte” print and a trivet in the “Saga” print. I don’t have much dishware from Norway, but I thought these two pieces were so adorable I just had to get them.

And too serve the food, of course, these:

A really interesting set of serving utensils. I am not sure how old these are, but I really liked the look. They have oxen on the handles! It’s not buffalo, but it’s good enough.

And then more coffee, because:

A mug from the Disaster Recovery Information Exchange. Not vintage or anything, I just love the logo.

What about you guys? Breaking any rules lately? Finding some cool stuff? Let me know!

16 Responses to Mid-Century Libbey Continental Mugs, Turi-Design Scandinavian Dishware and a Buffalo Glass

1. racergirl1313 Reply

April 30, 2012 at 8:54 am

Cool finds! I love the Buffalo Cafe cup.

I’ve been trying to share my thrifting finds on my blog ( http://racergirl1313.blogspot.com/ ). I also post photos to Flickr. So far I have been doing pretty well with keeping up with the blogging. Hopefully it lasts, I love sharing my finds!

2. Tasha Reply

April 30, 2012 at 9:14 am

I love that buffalo glass! And the coffee glasses are so marvelous with your carafes, they were meant to be.

My current self-imposed rule for us is to only focus on the “building blocks” we need in the house, i.e. furniture and possibly lamps. So it doesn’t really explain why I threw down for a beautiful coral-colored Westinghouse clock radio. Well, we needed a clock in the room I got it for, that counts for something, surely…

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks, Tasha! I think the glasses go pretty well, myself. 🙂

Totally don’t blame you for jumping on that radio. Sounds delish! And yeah, it sooooo counts… 🙂

April 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

The Buffalo glass from the Buffalo Cafe! New Buffalo, MI is down the road from me and I’m thinking I know where the cafe was situated (US12 and Red Arrow Highway). Building is vacant or torn down. Never ate there, BTW.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Oh! I was totally hoping you would know where it was. And you came through for me. Thanks, Sable! xoxo

4. Beverly Reply

April 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

You should see the fabric I gathered last week at the Paducah quilt show! Doug just shakes his head. No, I’m not going to live long enough to finish all those UFO’s! I’m still recovering from the trip…..

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Ha ha! I LOVE your fabric stash. You guys have to come back for a visit so you can see my vintage linen stash. I have so many!

5. veg-o-matic Reply

April 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm

You are so lucky to find cool stuff at your thrifts. For the longest time, ours have had nothing but trash and freakishly weird stuff that I take pictures of and send to our daughter and Thrift Shop Horrors.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am really lucky! I find some of the craziest stuff too, though. This last time I left a picture of the last supper where all of the apostles had fish-heads! It was a tough call, but in the end I stayed strong.

• veg-o-matic Reply

April 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

You left it behind??? Craziness!!

6. Lorie B. Reply

April 30, 2012 at 1:25 pm

They tore the building for the Buffalo Cafe down about 2 years ago. I was devastated for it was a really cool mid-century looking building with alot of glass block and such. It is only about ten miles south of my house. We pass through New Buffalo frequently. Fun to see a glass from it’s past. Thanks for sharing.

April 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My hubby is an enabler – we just drove an hour and a half each way on Sunday for me to buy some more depression glass at an auction, LOL! Your Libbey glasses have solved a bit of a mystery for me, I think – I have a similar set of glasses, cream and sugar pot and coasters that I could never figure out – mine are just missing the handles, I think! The thought of removable handles never crossed my mind!

8. Sara In AZ Reply

April 30, 2012 at 6:24 pm

That Buffalo glass is awesome and those little coffee cups are super adorable, they go with your carafe collection fantastically! Great finds Ruth!

Mike and I will be over for coffee tomorrow! 😉

May 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Love your finds, Ruth! I’m especially thinking about crawling in your window and stealing that triangle shaped carafe. But in a totally non-creepy way. Oh, and yeah. I’m breaking rules. Lordy…

10. Joyce W Reply

May 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I LOVE the mugs with the coffee carafes! I’ve been collecting carafes not knowing what I’ll do with them and now I know! I just need to find some of those lovely mugs to put with them. Thank you for the inspiration! Your blog is my first read every day 🙂

11. Cynthia Reply

May 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love the last mug. I have a thing for logos too. And DRIE means ‘three’ in Dutch… (I’m Dutch.)