Home » Decade » 1950 » Painting The Bathroom Cabinets Holiday Turquoise in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo

April 5, 2012

By Sara In AZ

OK, wow, so we are getting pretty far along in this bathroom renovation/restoration. In just a mere 3 more posts we will have the bathroom portion of this renovation all wrapped up!

Can you believe after ALL these months it’s finally time to whip these cabinets into shape?!?

Let’s look back at where we started. This was the bathroom right after Mom bought the condo. The white cabinets were just not cutting it for me. We all adored the vintage yellow tile and the boomerang handles – so those were definitely staying! But we totally needed a punch of color in this room since we had decided to keep the walls white in here.

The first order of business was to remove all of the cabinet doors and remove as much of the old paint as possible. You will remember from this post on Prepping For Paint, we have already sanded down the bathroom vanity base and primed it with Kilz. No lead paint was in the bathroom, just a lot of crappy latex paint that was coming off pretty easily with our heat gun.

See how the paint would just peel right up. We were able to peel huge pieces of paint off without actually using the heat gun too, the heat gun just expedited matters for us. If we would have painted over the existing paint our nice Sherwin Williams paint would have eventually just peeled right up too. Sad smile

So now with the old paint removed (as much as possible anyway), we had one more task to complete before the new paint could go on. We had to make a new vent board for the sink in the bathroom.

Here is the original sink front vent, you can also see the vent in the top picture above. After all the years of bathroom humidity the old wood had swollen up around the vents and had pretty much closed up. All the different paint jobs over the years had further clogged the vents, so we knew this was one piece we would not be able to save.

Here is a close up of the vent. There was just no way to get all of that old paint out. I was kind of worried at first……how would we be able to EXACTLY replicate this vent and have it look just right.

Well, look no further than Mike and his arsenal of power tools! Smile  We bought this piece of wood at Home Depot for cheap in the discount bin and Mike went to town sawing, cutting and router-ing this until it came out looking perfect!!!! GO MIKE!!!!

Here is a picture of the backs of both the new and the old sink vents. The new one, Mike just made, is on the top and the old one is on the bottom.

Here is the front of both the old and new vents. I am amazed Mike was able to duplicate it so well! YAY!!!

I thought this picture would be fun to show before I started painting over everything. As I was sanding down some of the doors and drawers the layers of paint revealed themselves to me. It looks the these cabinets were originally painted a light mint green color, then a bit of a darker olive green, then onto the lighter white shades. I can just imagine how adorable the bathroom was painted a mint green with that cute flower wallpaper! LOVE!!!

The paint we used for the bathroom cabinets was Holiday Turquoise from Sherwin Williams Suburban Modern Collection.

sub mod

hol turq

And we’re off! Here I am painting the vanity base which was no fun task. Let’s just say that by the end of this I was pretty much covered in turquoise paint…….even in my hair! eeks!!!!

Ohhhh the sink base is done, now onto the taller cabinets to the side.

It’s getting closer……..

Oh my gosh!!! YES!!! The entire base  is painted!!! YAY!!!!

Now I have to paint all of the cabinet doors and drawers, and that nice little vent that Mike made! I have already primed the doors with Kilz and I am just starting to paint the door backs at the far end.

Here is a close up of the door backs getting painted.

Here are the drawers and the sink vent and another door after getting primed.

The door backs drying.

Still drying………

Finally onto painting the door fronts!

You can see I painted long into the night, as it was dark in this picture!

And everything is drying up nicely!

Soooooo, how did it turn out? Well come back in 2 weeks to see part one of the final bathroom reveal!

Come back next Thursday to see the crazy stuff we had to do to install the new bathroom faucet!!!

18 Responses to Painting The Bathroom Cabinets Holiday Turquoise in Mom’s 50s Time Capsule Condo

1. thethriftygal Reply

April 5, 2012 at 7:37 am

Such a happy color! And all that storage in the bathroom 🙂 We used the same color for the walls in our guest room and have also used the grey and pinky beige from that collection in our 1951 ranch. I am new to your blog and just love it!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

Thanks so much for visiting and commenting ThriftyGal!

Isn’t all that storage in the bathroom great! I was surprised, since it was originally a 50s rental, that they went all out like that!

I know, the colors from the Suburban Modern collection are just the best!

I checked out your blog, and your ranch house looks just lovely – can’t wait to see more pics of it!

• thethriftygal Reply

April 5, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks! Our house is getting there, slow but sure 🙂

April 5, 2012 at 9:02 am

Oh! Such a tease! I can already tell that it’s going to looks Ah-mazing though. And wow…isn’t hard to believe that so many hours of work can go into such a small room as a bathroom? Your and Mike’s attention to detail is something else.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Oh, thanks so much Eartha! It IS crazy to think of how much time we have spent renovating that little old bathroom isn’t it! Hee! I guess I have been kind of a tease lately haven’t I! 😉 All will be revealed soon though!

3. Laura Reply

April 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

It’s gonna look great! Painting bathrooms always makes me crabby, so you also have my sympathy. Lots of tedious little things to paint around….but I can tell your patience is going to pay off big time!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 11:37 am

Oh my gosh, you have it SO right Laura…..ALL those corners and angles and then painting the cabinet interiors. UGH! It was a taping nightmare, let me tell you! 🙂

4. Betty Crafter Reply

April 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

I agree with Eartha – total tease! 🙂 I love the color and am impressed at how thorough you guys are!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

Oh, thank you so much Betty! Sorry I am such a tease! 🙂

5. Vickie Reply

April 5, 2012 at 11:52 am

You are definitely a tease! I was racing through the read to get to the end to see the DONE! When I saw the first pic I thought I was looking at my own bathroom 20+ years ago! Yep, exactly the same. I was actually mortified at the yellow tile at the time. The floor tile is also the same yellow and the whole bathroom was painted BRIGHT yellow. It kinda hurt the eyes. We couldn’t tear the tile out because of the expense at the time, and not being “into” the retro at that time either, I decided to go with a very soft grey to tone it down and navy blue accessories. It looks nice (borrring) but is ready for a new look, and you’ve given me inspiration. I did not know about that Sherwin Williams line of paint so THANK YOU for letting us know. That’s going to be my “go to” paint when I start the dining room for sure! Great job once again. Do you think your mom would let me adopt you & Mike?
    ;- )

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Hee! Sorry Vickie! Soon I promise, REALLY soon!!! 🙂

Wow, yeah I can imagine with ALL that yellow the bathroom would be a bit much to take. Hey, grey is a totally period appropriate color too though, check out that Suburban Modern color chart. We were going to paint the walls that light grey in the bathroom, but something about it was just not working so we just left it white. I think it all works though because of the huge pop of color from the vanity.

Definitely check out Sherwin Williams paint, it is really good. You can have them mix you up little sample cans of paint for like $3 a jar or something, that way you can paint swatches on your walls and see what you like best before committing to a whole big can of paint.

I’m SO excited to see your dining room re-do, it will be spectacular I just know!

Well, I don’t know if Mom would let us get adopted, but I’m sure she’d loan us out! 🙂

April 5, 2012 at 11:56 am

I love that color, Holiday Turquoise!

Good job on the vent.

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Thank you!!! We NEED to see some Holiday Turquoise in your MCM home re-do Sable!!!

April 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Love the holiday turquoise! That is going to look so nice with the light yellow tile, I can’t wait to see the reveal! And good job Mike on duplicating the vent board!

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Thanks so much Andrea! Yeah, that is what I thought about the yellow/turquoise combination too – they look nice against each other. Big reveal coming up soon, I promise!!!!!

8. Roxy Reply

April 5, 2012 at 7:51 pm

The storage in that tiny bathroom looks great. I love the tall cabinet on the right of the sink. Also that color is fantastic! I’m very jealous 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I am seriously amazed at how much storage there is in this place Roxy! For a place built in the 50s it is just over the top – not to mention my Mom desperately needed the storage anyways! 🙂

9. Flying Texan Reply

April 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I, too, can hardly wait for the reveal. I love, love, love turquoise ~ and I love the name “Holiday Turquoise”. That will be a great pop of color and with the yellow, will look great.

If I had my way, I would have a retro turquoise kitchen but alas, my spousal unit does not share my love of mcm. I do have an old kitchen cabinet, in the dining area, filled with my favorite things. Such as my turquoise Pyrex Butterprint dishes. My favorite wall in the whole house.

Anyway, I’ve so enjoyed your pictures of the remodel and am looking forward to the next one!