Home » Decade » 1950 » Holiday Turquoise Retro Bathroom Reveal in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo!!!

April 19, 2012

Holiday Turquoise Retro Bathroom Reveal in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo!!!

By Sara In AZ

Month and months and months have gone by on our little renovation project and it’s FINALLY time to see the bathroom in all it’s renovated retro glory!

We will see all the final pictures of the vanity and sink area this Thursday and then next Thursday we will show the final reveal of the shower/tub area!

We’ll start off with the hinges first. Remember these paint encrusted, rusty hinges that Mike had to work 3 hours to remove??? Uggghhhhhhh……………………………

100_1585

We definitely knew we needed some new hinges, so we took an old hinge down to Home Depot and tried to match it up as closely as possible to a new hinge. We wanted to use all of the old screw holes on the doors and the vanity base and not have to re-drill ALL new screw holes for the new hinges– that is why we wanted a really close match. We found these Chrome Liberty Hinges at Home Depot and we thought they matched as closely as anything possibly could!

100_2216

h1

Here is Mike installing the pretty new hinges.

100_2219

And voila, new shiny chrome hinges! YAY! (This picture was taken with a flash, so this is the more true color of the cabinets)

100_2280

Ahhhhhhh, SO much better! (The picture below was taken with the flash off, so cabinets appear more green) One word of warning when installing a new hinge – if you are changing hinges at all, even if it is pretty much the exact same size and everything, you will still need to fuss around with how the doors hang and close. Especially if the doors meet in the middle, as many of them did in Mom’s bathroom.

100_2281

I also wanted to show y’all a close up of the original boomerang handles in Mom’s bathroom. They are made by Ajax. I have never heard of that manufacturer before, but I sure do like their boomerang handles!

100_2238

100_2222

Here is a close up of the  original American Standard label that is still attached to the underside of the sink! Neat!

100_1597

Ok, ok – I know y’all are getting antsy to see pictures of the cabinets! So here we go!

Here is what we started off with on day one. It’s white. It’s pretty blah, and the cabinets definitely needed some work!

100_1517

And here we are today! Clean tile and grout, new vanity/sink vent, new faucet, new hinges. Oh, and a new floor too!

100_2236

100_2243

Here is the old bathroom light and mirror.

100_1518

And here is the new light bar, and the new NuTone medicine cabinet. Also, your eyes do not deceive you – that IS a Mermaid towel ring!!!

100_2235

I just had to get Mom this vintage Hall Mack Mermaid Towel Ring when I came across one on eBay last summer. I knew it would be a great go-along to those fish tiles in the shower and Mom loves old ceramic fish and mermaids, so it could not have been more perfect!

100_2083

100_2086

Ok, back to the cabinets! Here are the storage cabinets to the right.

100_1519

And here they are now, all turquoise-d out!

100_2241

Wow, it sure does look a lot different now doesn’t it!

100_2240

Yay for turquoise!

100_2230

And the bathroom is finally all put back together!

100_2231

See y’all back here next Thursday when I show the final reveal of the shower!

43 Responses to Holiday Turquoise Retro Bathroom Reveal in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo!!!

1. Sherree Reply

April 19, 2012 at 6:49 am

Oh I just love it! And all that storage :-) The mermaid towel ring is just darling.
    Can’t wait to see the shower.

April 19, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Sherree – Thank you! I know, isn’t ALL of that storage amazing?!? I don’t even have that much in my house, totally jealous! :)

2. Uncle Atom Reply

April 19, 2012 at 7:16 am

Awesome transformation, it’s all great! That turquoise color looks REALLY good.

April 19, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oh, thank you so much Uncle – your kitchen transformation was just as awesome! :)

3. Kristine Reply

April 19, 2012 at 8:01 am

fantastic job, I love it!

4. deb Reply

April 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

It looks stunning!! Great job you guys…

April 19, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Deb, I really appreciate it, thank you! :)

5. Abigail Grotke Reply

April 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

Love those cabinets! Great color! I particularly like the side one, how they squeezed in that little one down below. So cute!

April 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’ll admit it Abigail – I am completely jealous of how awesome my Mom’s cabinets are – that little one is sooooo adorable isn’t it! :)

6. Vicki Reply

April 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

Very nice! I love it. Ya’ll did such a great job.

April 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Vicki – thank you so much, that is very kind of you to say! :)

April 19, 2012 at 9:27 am

Girl, that looks GORGEOUS. I can only imagine how happy your Mom feels that she actually gets to live there. Everything looks pristine new. But new old if you know what I mean. You and Mike, I swear….I wish that you could do a condo for me! And I can’t get over all of that storage in there. What is the little cabinet that hinges from the top? Is that a hidden trash can nook?

April 19, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Oh gosh, thank you Eartha! That really means a lot! :) I totally get what you mean by the new/old comment and that is EXACTLY the look we were going for actually. I wanted it to look like we were walking back into 1959 again, when it was brand new and freshly built.

I know all of that storage…….WANT!!! That little hinged door is just the most adorable little cabinet. It has really deep storage too – it’s as long as all those other cabinets above it! We are not completely sure what it was originally meant for – we were thinking it might have been for a trash can – to keep it out of sight or possibly a hamper????

8. Charlotte Reply

April 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

Sara, this turned out beautifully! I am going to bookmark this post and will point people toward it if they are considering overhauling a vintage bathroom that needs some love. You proved that you can end up with something that stays true to the original character of the home AND is functional and pretty.

April 19, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Charlotte – Thank you so very much!!! Oh my gosh YES, please direct anyone who thinks they need to gut a vintage bathroom to this post to prove that it can be made nice again – with a little love and patience! :)

9. Betty Crafter Reply

April 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

It looks fantastic! And I LOVE that mermaid towel ring. Too cute!

April 19, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Thank you very much Betty! You really should get a mermaid towel ring too for that sweet pink bathroom of yours! :)

10. Martha Reply

April 19, 2012 at 10:20 am

I think this is just about the prettiest retro bathroom I’ve seen. I really like the little striped curtain in the window too.

April 19, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Martha – Oh gosh, that is really so very kind of you to say! Thank You! :) The striped curtain is actually made out of some repro barkcloth I found on sale a while back, I think the colors work really well together!

11. Silvercat Reply

April 19, 2012 at 10:59 am

So fabulous! I’m jealous. I wish I could do that to my bathroom, but it’s a rental. (I think I have that exact medicine cabinet.)

April 19, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Silvercat – Thank you! :) I’m sure one of these days a little retro palace will make it’s way to you – just begging to be painted turquoise! You should send in pics of your rental – it sounds awesome!

• Silvercat Reply

April 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I will after I get the pile of boxes down to a reasonable level. :) The building is actually from 1907, but it seems it got a major reno in the 50s (the other apt I looked at had a peach bathroom and checkerboard linoleum! Too bad I couldn’t afford it…)

April 19, 2012 at 7:09 pm

hee! Totally understand about the whole moving/boxes thing since we just went through it with Mom! Your place sounds amazing, I can’t wait to see!

April 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

Sara!! You guys are amazing! What a fantastic job you did. I LOVE the hinges and that floor is just perfect for that room. I love the little accent tiles and way the Holiday Turquoise turned out. So amazing!

April 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Oh Ruth, thank you so much for your kind words! :) It truly was a labor of love, but I think it turned out SO well in the end! I only wish more people would take the “rescue” approach instead of gutting when it comes to vintage baths……we’d have SO many more saved.

April 19, 2012 at 12:35 pm

OMG, Sara! That looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good! You guys did such an awesome job, I cannot wait for the shower reveal!

April 19, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks so much Andrea!!! I know you have been waiting a LONG time to see those bathroom cabinets painted turquoise! :)

14. Roxy Reply

April 19, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I am RIDICULOUSLY jealous of those cabinets

April 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm

HA! You know what……so am I! :)

15. Tasha Reply

April 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Amazing! Amazing, amazing. Everything looks stunning in there, I just love the turquoise cabinets. But the corner with the medicine cabinet, sink and mermaid towel ring may be my favorite!

April 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Thanks so much Tasha! :) I am partial to that corner too, as I just adore vintage mermaids……maybe one day I’ll have an awesome bathroom like Mom’s too!

16. Laura Reply

April 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Sara- it all looks amazing and like new. And I’ll tell you a little secret–I’m not super fond of the color yellow, and yet this bathroom remodel sold me on the yellow tile. It looks so pretty with the aqua paint and chrome trims! It all comes together so beautifully!

April 20, 2012 at 1:48 am

Thank you Laura!!! It really felt like the white cabinets did nothing for the yellow tile you know, it was all very blahs-ville. Now it seems like the yellow really sparkles against the turquoise. Don’t be afraid of yellow tiles in the future! :)

April 20, 2012 at 3:50 pm

That is absolutely gorgeous! Hey, Mom! Can I move in with you?

Great work, Sara, Mike and Mom!

18. Sara In AZ Reply

April 20, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Thank you so much Sable! And I’m sure Mom would have no problem with you moving into her place! ;)

19. Pingback: Retro Bathroom Shower Reveal In Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo | No Pattern Required

20. Lisa Reply

May 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

That’s adorable! I love what you’ve done!

21. Joann Reply

December 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I just recently found your site and I love it!!!

We live in a circa 1950s era home.
    I have to say the storage is great and the storage is truly fabulous in your mother’s bathroom.

My husband is also like yours, in that he is always figuring out our renovation challenges!

I also find that I am constantly drawn to the color turquoise!!

Great job on everything.

December 22, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks so much Joann! :)

I STILL cannot believe how much storage is in Mom’s condo!!! It’s crazy isn’t it!

So happy you found our site and love it too…we all work hard around here and hope everyones enjoys MCM as much as we do!

We’d love to see pics of your 50s house one day if you are ever so inclined!

22. Ed Keenan Reply

April 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Hi, just wondering, what product did you use to clean the tile? I have similar “salmon” colored tiles in my 1954 duplex that are pretty ratty looking after 60 years. The tiles are in great shape, but they are in definite need of cleaning.

Also what paint is that? That shade of turquoise is the bee’s knees!

What a great renovation!