Home » MCM Fun » Guest Bloggers » The Good Wife’s Guide And Our New Sponsor, Diane from RetroGiftIdeas.com

April 18, 2012

The Good Wife’s Guide And Our New Sponsor, Diane from RetroGiftIdeas.com

By RetroRuth

I’d like to give a warm welcome to our new sponsor, Diane from RetroGiftIdeas.com! You might recognize Diane’s awesome designs from our annual Christmas Card giveaways, which we adore to pieces.

Well, Diane has branched out into some awesome fun retro gifts and some gorgeous wedding invitations (on Vintage-Wedding-Invitations.com), both of which are really neat! I especially loved the “The Good Wife’s Guide” on RetroGiftIdeas.com, and I asked Diane to give us some background on her design.

!cid_0CE324E0-8CB5-4F79-A10F-8770472A2BB3@tampabay_rr

Diane writes:

!cid_0CE324E0-8CB5-4F79-A10F-8770472A2BB3@tampabay_rrAs a child of the early sixties, and the daughter of a happy homemaker during that era, when I first discovered the "Good Wife’s Guide" I was a bit confused. While it seemed more than a bit over the top in some of it’s entries, I was also smiling since it seemed strangely familiar.

The story goes that this list of rules or guidelines was originally written in an old home economics textbook, or that it ran as a feature in "Housekeeping Monthly". I came to find out that there was never a periodical of that name (snopes.com), no text book has been found with these entries and that it was just a humorous hoax. I suspect that the original was inspired by the wonderfully silly rules once taught in every Home Economics Class through the 1950’s, or similarly at your retro era Mother’s elbow in the kitchen. What makes it so funny is that it nearly rings true. Most things that make us smile do so because of a shared experience with the author of the piece.

!cid_0CE324E0-8CB5-4F79-A10F-8770472A2BB3@tampabay_rrFans of the hit TV show "Mad Men" get a peek into the time capsule of the era preceding women’s liberation. Basically women on this show get treated like objects…objects that cook and clean and tend the children. No wonder my Mom spoke to us the way she did. Stuff does roll downhill. A few years back a comic by the name of Anita Renfroe came out with a musical rendition to all of the common phrases once heard around the kitchen, she calls them Momism’s, it was hilarious. Again, it was so funny because I had heard all of them growing up in our house… "You’ll eat it and you’ll like it… "We’ll just wait for your Father to get home"… "Don’t get smart with me"… No wonder Mom was in a foul mood, just look at what was expected of the mid-century housewife!

So even though the exaggerated entries on The Good Housewife’s Guide may make you cringe, each thoughtful passage will also make you grin, and perhaps even reminisce about life in your parents’ household growing up.

!cid_0CE324E0-8CB5-4F79-A10F-8770472A2BB3@tampabay_rr

I love it, Diane!!! Thanks so much for sharing the story of this fun piece with us, and welcome to No Pattern Required!

I remember whenever I would defiantly say to my mother “So?”, she would snap back, “So? Sew buttons! Now do it!”  And then I got the evil eye. Mom can be a little scary, sometimes.

Remember any “mom-isms” from your mother? Share them in the comments, and be sure to say “hi” to Diane!

16 Responses to The Good Wife’s Guide And Our New Sponsor, Diane from RetroGiftIdeas.com

April 18, 2012 at 11:51 am

Welcome, Diane! I love this poster, I think I am going to have to order one once I figure out where to hang it!

As for mom-isms, it is amazing how once I had kids, it seemed that every other phrase out of my mouthwash something I heard my mom say, LOL!

• RetroRuth Reply

April 18, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Ha ha, Andrea! I know what you mean! I am so bad that I say things my mom used to say to other people’s kids! All I can think of when talking to my niece, Piper, is how much I sound like my mom…

• Diane Reply

April 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Thanks Andrea! I too fell for this idea because of my Mom. She was not only a mid century housewife but an Army wife so some of her Momisms were not fit for G rated print! I do however sometimes find myself repeating them:p
      Diane

2. Sara In AZ Reply

April 18, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Gosh Diane, where were you 15 years ago when I was looking EVERYWHERE for vintage looking wedding invitations???? 🙂 I LOVE all of your designs though and will definitely be ordering from your site in the future! Welcome to No Pattern!!!

• Diane Reply

April 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Hey Sara, I know, I know – I wish I could get married again – to the same guy of course! Just to have everything more vintage-y. I am thinking of a wedding anniversary party where I could wear a tea length vintage gown, (ah la Audrey Hepburn in “Funny Face”… play swing music and throw an all out cocktail party soiree! Mad men style!
      Maybe next year, Hey Ruth you could share some retro hor dourves recipes!
      :Diane

April 18, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I love those invitations! I won a prize pack of her Christmas cards one year and they were awesome – very well made too. I actually found myself asking before I addressed each one, “Would this person truly appreciate how great this card is?” and if the answer was no, then they got the less great cards from another company. I know, that sounds awful but you can’t squander greatness! 🙂

I’ll admit that there are some things on the Good Housewives Guide that I could get behind but some…not so much. Like, buddy..you can take off your own shoes! And where exactly is my “place” anyway?

• RetroRuth Reply

April 18, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I know where your place is! In a kitschy craft paradise, wearing a hat made of popsicle sticks and hosting a tea for vintage blow mold Christmas decorations with names like “Mr. Chips” and “Captain Plastic Fantastic”.

Hmmm…you know, maybe I have skewed view of what your life is like…

But yes, I agree with you on the great Christmas cards! And you don’t have to feel guilty about admitting “rating” people for Christmas cards, though if I don’t get a card from you this year, I’m gonna know what you really think of me! 🙂

• Eartha Kitsch Reply

April 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Ha! I only wish that my life WERE like that.

• Diane Reply

April 18, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hi Eartha, So nice to hear from you!!! I do get a kick outta hearing from someone that thinks like I do. I sit down to write my cards and make careful selections from my own inventory. Sometimes someone on my Christmas list will inspire me to design a card just so that it will be perfect for them.

Oh and on that Good Housewife Guide… I have created it in a format so that you can customize it. So feel free to throw in as many barbs as you want! You can print your very own version. I think the remarks from the female side would be amusing too, just look at the faces of these housewives… kinda menacing don’t you think? I love it!
      Diane

April 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

That one with the rolling pin, especially!

• Diane Reply

April 18, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I am thinking of doing one for each of my Sister-in-laws for Mother’s Day… but add in some snide remarks at the bottom of each entry.
      I know they would appreciate it – and maybe keep the guys in line at the same time!
      Diane

• RetroRuth Reply

April 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Oooo- Mother’s Day! Good idea, Diane! 🙂

April 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Hi, Diannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!!!! Welcome aboard!

Mom-isms? Not so much in words, but I point my finger a lot when making my “point.” Both Mom and her mother did the same thing; guess I’m just following tradition.

• Diane Reply

April 18, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Hi SableMable,
      Really it is hilarious… I am just like my Mom, even down to the annoying sound that goes with the wagging finger… ett, ett, ett, ehhh! I wish I could do it for you – or maybe not!
      Ha! Diane

6. yvonne Reply

October 21, 2015 at 6:42 pm

HI
    Any idea where this sign could be purchased today? The link no longer works.

Yvonne