Home » MCM Fun » Author » Betty Crafter » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Stylofil Edition

April 24, 2012

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Stylofil Edition

By Betty Crafter

I was doing so well, y’all.  It is time to break this crafting block I’ve had and I was trying so hard.  I started a knitting project (which is going slowly, but hey – I did start it!) and I happened across this intriguing package at an estate sale last week that I thought would be my ticket out of this slump.

Yes PLEASE!  I snapped it up in my eager little paws and headed home to Design*Draw*Write with Thread!

Woooo doggies – look at that squirrel pattern!  I will definitely be doing that one first.  But only purple and yellow thread?  That’s a bit odd…  Oh well.  I can work with that.  So off I headed to Little Betty’s closet to scrounge around for something needing squirrel embroidery.  Doesn’t everything need squirrel embroidery?  I chose a black t shirt and sat down with my handy Stylofil to actually CRAFT something.  I followed the sparse instructions under the lid, which basically amounted to “Draw with the thread like it’s a pencil.”  Well folks, I just don’t get it.  It did nothing.  And I don’t see how it could possibly do anything.  Look at this thing!

Doesn’t it seem like there should be a needle to pierce through the fabric and pattern?  CRAFT FAIL.  Total bummer.  I googled and it would appear that I have the only Stylofil in existence.  Google did not answer my questions.  So much for breaking through my craft block.  But I vow to try again!  Stay tuned to see if I manage to actually create something next time…

10 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Stylofil Edition

1. Julie Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

It is a tool for what is also called needle punch, Japanese bunka or Russian embroidery. Thant’s about all I know except that it does seem like your tool should have a needle at the tip. I think you have to use tightly woven cloth to keep the thread secured, so that would require a needle.

2. Julie Reply

April 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

Maybe this person would be able to help you:

3. So Cal Gal Reply

April 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Hi Betty! I think I may have gotten a Stylofil, or something similar, for Christmas one year when I was growing up (I was born in ’57). If I remember correctly (and it’s been a really long time), there was no needle (and the illustration on the front of the box doesn’t seem to show a needle).

Included in the kit were: bobbins of thread, the “writing” device that holds a bobbin of thread, special translucent paper that had a printed design on one side and was sticky on the other, and one or more containers of powdery stuff that was supposed to be put over the areas of the finished picture that were not covered with thread–to get rid of the stickiness.

To create the picture you had to “write”/press the thread onto the sticky paper, following the printed design; then dust the finished picture with the powdery stuff. And it was a good idea, but the sticky paper (even when new) wasn’t really sticky enough to hold the thread firmly in place, so it kept falling off. After all these years, there may not be any stickiness left on the paper in your kit–though it may be possible to recreate it?

I hope that helps…I just ran into No Pattern Required a few days ago, and have been enjoying it immensely! 🙂

• Betty Crafter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

So Cal Gal, that does line up exactly with what’s in the box and the instructions. So you’re supposed to embroider the paper and not onto fabric? That’s where I was confused I guess, b/c I was trying to do this onto fabric…

• So Cal Gal Reply

April 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Yes–the paper is embroidered, not fabric. I think this kit was probably intended for little girls, so they could feel that they were creating embroidery just like mom or grandma; but since there was no needle involved, it was safer.

Oh, I was wondering if the blue cylinder in the kit is hollow (with no ends)? Because it may have been used as a kind of rolling pin, to make sure that the thread applied to the sticky paper was well attached before applying the powdery stuff.

It’s been decades since I’ve seen one of these kits, so I hope I’m remembering things correctly…but thanks for a very fun trip down memory lane, Betty!

• Betty Crafter Reply

April 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yes, the blue cylinder is hollow – you’re probably right – that’s what it’s for I’m sure!

4. Tasha Reply

April 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Alas! So sad it didn’t all work out, because that seems like a seriously cute kit. But at least you could use an embroidery transfer pencil and paper, and trace the design onto fabric to embroider by hand? The squirrel is too cool not to turn into something.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm

True! Even if the cute gadget doesn’t work, you still have the squirrel!

• Betty Crafter Reply

April 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Good thinking Tasha! I will definitely do that! I can’t resist a cute squirrel 🙂