Home » MCM Fun » Author » SableMable » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Normandy Park, Washington

April 29, 2012

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Normandy Park, Washington

By Sablemable

Well, I found my perfect home, gang, even though I can’t afford it!

This is a Frank Lloyd Wright home built in 1955.  The W.B. Tracy House is located at 18971 Edgecliff Drive SW and sits on 100 feet of waterfront property on Puget Sound.  There are 3 bedrooms and only 1 bathroom and 1,120 square feet.  The exterior is of cement and concrete and the interior is warm with wood and other natural materials.  There is a 2 car detached garage.

RE/MAX Northwest, 800-531-2334 is showing the home.  The price?  $1,149,000.00 which is not bad considering this is a historical home and on the waterfront.

Photos are courtesy of Keller Williams (www.kw.com).  A link to the Tracy House, with house plans, vintage photos and details is www.thetracyhouse.com.

THE EXTERIOR

295309-6

295309-15

295309-13

295309-1

295309-12

THIS IS NEW TO ME, FLW’S “SIGNATURE.”  NICE TOUCH!

295309-14

THE INTERIOR

295309-2

295309-3

295309-4

295309-5

295309-7

295309-8

295309-9

THIS IS THE FIRST FLW HOME FOR SALE THAT’S SHOWED A BATHROOM PHOTO.

ANYBODY WANT TO GUESS AT THE COLOR AND MANUFACTURER OF THE FIXTURES?

295309-10

One of the best things about a FLW home is that the owners are NOT supposed to do any changes to the structure without first going through the FLW Foundation, so most of the homes are time capsule.  I know of one FLW home here in my area where the second or third owners went ahead and “remodeled” without permission.  Why would anyone want to change a FLW home, I ask?

Readers, do you love you some FLW?

10 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Normandy Park, Washington

1. Pat M Reply

April 29, 2012 at 9:08 am

Yes, I love FLW, and this house is a beautiful example! The wonderful amount of light filling the house, the gorgeous setting, and the lively design confirm my feeling that these houses are timeless. I’m so glad to see this is on the list of historic places. Thanks for showing us a great home.

• sablemable Reply

April 29, 2012 at 10:01 am

Hi, Pat! Yes, I too love FLW’s homes. There are 3 in my area and they stand the test of time.

Thank you for stopping by and visiting!

2. Rita@thissortaoldlife Reply

April 29, 2012 at 10:25 am

I grew up not far from Normandy Park (in nearby Burien/Seahurst, in a much more modest ranch), and I had no idea there were FLW homes in that area. What a nice treat to see this gorgeous house this morning! Thanks.

3. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 am

When we first lived in Minneapolis in the early 70s, I read in the paper about a couple who TORE DOWN a FLW house to build a new ranch house thingie. They said the FLW house just wasn’t convenient to live in. Why not just sell it and build somewhere else? All these years later and I still can’t believe it! Though I read a while back that a museum has part of that house on display, which eases the pain a little.

• RetroRuth Reply

April 30, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Oh yuck! Why would you do something like that??

4. Laura Reply

April 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’m one of those people that understand the huge impact FLW made on architecture and design in the 20th Century. That said, I find his homes austere and cold. I could never live in one. I’ll leave that who love his design ethos well enough to embrace it. Even if I don’t care for FLW, I wouldn’t DARE remodel or demolish one! What the heck is wrong with those people? You don’t destroy history for everyone just because you want a McMansion. You can build those anywhere.

April 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Holy cow! Look at that! Soooo gorgeous! And the bathroom! LOVE those colors!

April 30, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Wow, I am speechless! Soooooo gorgeous!

7. deborah Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:17 am

I love parts of this home, the light, the in-built furniture, windows and kitchen – but does anyone else feeled challenged by the concrete ceiling… it feels a bit overwhelming to me.

8. Roger J. Morris Reply

July 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Fabulous! I had no idea about this Frank Lloyd Wright house in “my backyard”! Thanks for sharing!