Home » Decade » 1950 » A New Retro Sink and Dishmaster Faucet Are Installed in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

May 31, 2012

By Sara In AZ

It was one of those dilemmas, do we or don’t we???? Replace the kitchen sink and faucet that is.

Neither the kitchen sink, nor the faucet were original. They were just readily available items from the local big box store and hastily installed by the last guy who rented out the place. It wasn’t even a nice quality stainless sink. So we thought with all that we had put into the place it would be a nice finishing touch to have something in there that looked really nice……and also looked appropriately retro. Smile

So Mike first removed the faucet……….

….and then the sink came out! Exciting!!!!!

Soooooo, what sink did we wind up getting for the kitchen???? Why Kohler, of course!

We decided on the Kohler Mayfield Sink in Sunlight Yellow.  We needed a small sink, 25” at the most, and Kohler offered this small Mayfield model in cast iron. When I saw they offered the sink in a light yellow color I thought it would go along perfectly with everything, and since all the tile in the bathroom is light yellow I thought it might even look like it had always been there!

And here we are with the sink getting installed! In case you were wondering, the chrome button is for the garbage disposal. When Mom first got the place the only way you could turn on the disposal was to plug it in underneath the sink, REALLY not convenient. Initially we could not understand why someone would install a disposal in this awkward way. There is a switch on the wall, but it is wired only to the fan in the ceiling. Then we FINALLY figured it out. I saw another condo unit that had a button on the wood panel in front of the sink…it was a disposal on/off button. If you look on the 3rd picture down from the top you will see a hook where our disposal button was originally. Our original disposal on/off  button was missing and had probably broken a long time ago and no one ever replaced it.

Neither Mike or I had any idea there were even button disposal switches still available now, as we have always just had the wall on/off switches. But rest assured InSinkErator still makes them and saved us a whole lot of heartache in figuring out how to wire in that disposal switch!

Here is a link from Amazon advertising the Button Switch, but we just bought ours from Home Depot .

For the new kitchen faucet I could think of nothing more perfect than a Dishmaster! You can order them online, but we actually bought ours at our local Ace Hardware store. You can click on the link on the Dishmaster site called “Find A Retailer Near You” to see where they are available, but a heads up – we bought ours at an Ace that was not even on the retailer list. So if you are interested definitely check around your local small hardware stores!

And here everything is, all installed and looking  pretty! I’m happy to report that Mom loves her new Dishmaster, it worked out especially well since she does not have a dishwasher – as the brush part cleans and suds up when you want to scrub off those dirty plates.

And here is the little kitchen all finished off! YAY!!!

I don’t think I ever showed a close-up of the counter tops in the condo. They are the original countertops from 1959, they are the brown linen look Formica called Tan Linen.

Thank You Our Arts And Crafts Home for posting pictures of your vintage Formica chips.

I also thought this was pretty interesting. When we had the sink off I saw these stamps on the inside of the sink front panel.

They are Union Stamps from the local Carpenter’s Union. How cool is that! I love how all of these cabinets were custom built just for Mom’s little condo. Smile

The stamps are kind of hard to read, but I am pretty sure this one had a date of 4-28-59, the 5 is kind of blurred out though. So cool anyway!

Come back next Thursday when one last secret surprise vintage find is revealed and the kitchen will be complete!

34 Responses to A New Retro Sink and Dishmaster Faucet Are Installed in Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

1. deb Reply

May 31, 2012 at 7:34 am

Wow! Looks fantastic!

May 31, 2012 at 8:14 am

Absolutely perfect. I’d be a happy camper to have that kitchen. And you know i love that you went the extra mile and put that pretty yellow sink in with the Dishmaster. Your Mom’s new home can’t help but be anything but happy with how undeniably cute it is.

May 31, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Thanks Eartha, I really appreciate that! 🙂 I wanted to find a colored sink in the WORST way, it just happed to work out that the light yellow went super well with the color scheme! I know, even though that kitchen is super tiny I’d love to call it mine too!

3. Marsi@TheCottageCheese Reply

May 31, 2012 at 8:26 am

The Dishmaster rocks! Love your Mom’s kitchen. I envy those cabinets!

May 31, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Thank you Marsi! 🙂 I have to say, I really do love her cabinets too. They needed a little “love” in the beginning, but they sure look pretty now!

4. pam kueber Reply

May 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

I love it!! A yellow sink — and a Dishmaster! Woot!

May 31, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks so much Pam! 🙂 We just HAD to go with the Dishmaster, there was never even another faucet on the radar!!!

5. Saries Reply

May 31, 2012 at 10:05 am

I had to comment, even though I’ve never posted before. Your mom’s condo is cute as a button! My dad was a union man, cabinet maker in the late fifties, and through the sixties in Phoenix. He was always so proud of his work. I like to think that he might have helped make these cabinets for your mom!

May 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Wait, what?!?! Seriously Saries??? That is COMPLETELY awesome!!!! Do you have any idea where he worked around Phoenix? Was it mostly just in Phoenix proper, or did he do work in the suburbs too….like Scottsdale or Mesa??? I just LOVE that cabinets used to be custom built on site like that, it makes it seem that much more special that someone like your Dad hand crafted such fantastic and beautiful cabinets.

• Saries Reply

May 31, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Honestly, Sara, I don’t know. He worked a lot of different places around the valley during the years. I do know he was a perfectionist and took great pride in his work. Later on they started using so much prefab cabinets in some of the housing developments here and he hated it! He loved doing beautiful work. It must be nice for you to know that somebody, whoever they were, took such care on making your mother’s cabinets!

May 31, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love knowing that someone handcrafted these cabinets with such care just for Mom’s little condo. All of the bathroom cabinets are custom too and have an amazing amount of storage for a condo built in the 50s. I’d like to think that your Dad was the one who built Mom’s cabinets too, all those years ago….so that’s just what I’m going to believe from now on! Thanks so much for commenting!!! 🙂

6. Jeanne Reply

May 31, 2012 at 10:45 am

Wow, perfect! I can’t believe your attention to detail and how every square inch of your mom’s condo has been thoroughly thought out and a labor of love. It’s a gem.

You DO know when this is all done I will have PTTS (Post Traumatic Thursday Syndrome). haha

May 31, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Really, thank you for saying that Jeanne! 🙂 We really did try so very hard to make this a special place for my Mom, as she has been through a lot lately. She really adores her new home and even through she did not really get the whole vintage aspect in the beginning, she LOVES it now!

I know, whatever am I going to post about on Thursdays once the condo series is done??? Eeekkssss!!! I hope we can find our dream house soon and then I can start posting about that on Thursdays!

7. Sherree Reply

May 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Adorable! I love the Dishmaster; I had no idea they were still available. We still use our local Ace Hardware for many things; if they don’t have it they will order it for us. Can’t wait til next Thursday!

May 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thank you Sherree! 🙂 I’ll just bet your local Ace could order up you a Dishamster for you, you will HAVE to post pics if you get one though! I think you’ll really like the secret vintage find I got for the kitchen that I will post about next Thursday! Stay tuned…..

8. Silvercat Reply

May 31, 2012 at 11:05 am

Nifty. I never got the point of the Dishmaster before, but if you only have one sink, it’d be perfect!

May 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Thanks Silvercat! 🙂 Yeah, the Dishmaster works super well, esp. if you do not have a dishwasher and only have one sink. She loves it!

May 31, 2012 at 11:58 am

Suh-weet! LOVE the way that looks. The yellow sink was an excellent choice!

May 31, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Awwwww, thanks so much Ruth! 🙂 I love that yellow sink!

10. Laura Reply

May 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm

This is all looking just beautiful! The yellow sink is such a nice touch with all the other colors you have going on too! Interesting about the union label on the cabinets. My aunt’s brick ranch was built in 1960, and has the pine cabinets that were custom made by the builders to fit the kitchen. Your mom’s kitchen reminds me of my aunt’s. Once when my aunt was hoping to get some remodeling advice the person who came to the house started by suggesting she rip the cupboards out! I almost died. She ignored them, thankfully! I’m glad you did too! A little love and cleaning were all they needed!

May 31, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Laura! Thank you so much!!! 🙂 Yeah, I really like the way the yellow flowed with everything else in the kitchen, it kind of looks like it might even possibly be original!

Oh gosh, I’m SO glad your Aunt kept her cabinets. There is such workmanship that goes into these old custom made cabinets and I think most people just do not realize it. Mom’s cabinets are made stunningly well, I cannot imagine ever changing them! It saddens me to know that other units around Mom have already gutted the original kitchens. 🙁

11. Tasha Reply

June 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

Wow, it makes me wonder if we have stamps inside our kitchen cabinets somewhere, as I know ours must have been custom-built, too!

The sink looks fantastic and it was a great choice of color. I am infinitely envious of the awesome linen formica!

June 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Yes Tasha, I’ll just bet that your cabinets have a mark/stamp somewhere too. Honestly, it could be hard to find though. If we wouldn’t have had the sink out there is no way I would have known.

Thanks so much on the sink! 🙂 I super love that Formica too. It’s not perfect, being that it’s over 50 years old and has been through several renters…..be we are SO keeping it!!!!

12. Martha K. Reply

June 1, 2012 at 11:55 am

I’ll say it again: you and Mike are THE BEST children a mother could ever have!

June 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Oh Martha K, you make me blush! 🙂 Thanks you for your kind, kind words!

June 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

The yellow sink is too cute and LOVE th Dishmaster! We are so getting one of those once we move, heh

June 2, 2012 at 10:51 am

Thanks Andrea! 🙂 And yeah, you should totally get a Dishmaster, you would love it!!!

14. Heather B Reply

June 3, 2012 at 1:17 am

When we moved in here last year we found (what we think) is the original Dishmaster in the garage. I had NO idea what it was so I had to do some Internet searching on it. It’s so cool to see one hooked up and ready to use!

June 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Heather B! That is SO cool that you found a vintage Dishmaster in the garage!!! I’m so jealous! 🙂 You MUST send pics in if you ever get it back in action!

15. Fay Reply

June 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I live in a mid-century split level with my grandmother and we have that same pattern on all the the countertops and the original chevron hardware on all the cabinets. I wish I could find a sink for my bathroom that was era appropriate, but it’s a size and shape that isn’t common anymore.

June 8, 2012 at 1:44 am

Fay, Your split level sounds amazing!!!! It’s SO awesome that you have most of the original features still intact too! Don’t give up on finding a sink, one is out there for you. Check eBay and Craigslist all the time….you never know what will pop up!

16. Pingback: kitchen faucet - Ask Me Help Desk

17. mary Reply

July 24, 2016 at 10:04 pm

I found this when I was looking to see what a Dishmaster was, (someone posted a Queen for a Day winning one), and found this page.
    I think your new kitchen looks great.
    The original faucets look like bathroom ones anyway.
    Love the formica.