Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Architecture Pinspiration –or- What I’ve Been Staring At All Week On Pinterest

May 2, 2012

It’s time to check out some fun mid-century architecture and pretty pretty MCM curb appeal. I’ve been kinda going crazy over some of this stuff on Pinterest, so I thought I would share a bit of the crazy with you guys!

First up, the exterior of one of the wondrous MCM homes in Palm Springs:

Source: flickr.com

Polka Dot House, LIFE Magazine April 14, 1952

Source: jillsies.tumblr.com via Amy Sauceda on Pinterest

A very pretty mid-century home:

Source: klad.com via Cori Kyle

A butterfly roof home in Utah:

Source: midcenturyutah.blogspot.ca via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

The Ant Farm House, 1972:

Source: retro-futurism.livejournal.com

New york-based Beattie residence by architect Ulrich Franzen as featured in Life Magazine, 1958:

Source: whorange.net via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

A mid-century swimming pool:

Source: tedwight.typepad.com

Ralph Fournier-designed Home:

Source: tedwight.com via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

Harry and Penelope Seidler house, 1967:

Source: en.wikipedia.org via tomasz on Pinterest

House in "Better Homes and Gardens"-1960:

Source: flickr.com via Kevin & Robin on Pinterest

"His and Hers" house in Colorado:

Source: chieftain.com via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

MCM entryway in Bayside, WI:

Source: bayside-wisconsin.olx.com via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

Hollin Hills mid-century modern home designed by architect Charles Goodman:

Source: washingtonpost.com via No Pattern Required on Pinterest

This is a fun one!

A boy living in a Wright-designed house in California wrote to FLW in 1956 to ask if he would design a doghouse to go with the house. Wright sent drawings for a triangular doghouse that complemented the hexagonal main house. The doghouse was built in 1963 and taken apart in 1973, but it was just rebuilt for a Wright documentary.

Source: kovels.com

The awesome house of Sharon aka, the Queen of Fifty Cents!

Source: saturdaybooks.com

Mid-Century building by Albert Frey:

Source: catalysisprojects.files.wordpress.com

World’s longest span hyperbolic paraboloid thin-shell, designed by Anton Tedesko, 1959:

Source: structuremag.org via Audelaine on Pinterest

Whew! So, that’s what I’ve been oogling this week on Pinterest. I have to say, the little FLW doghouse kind of tugs at my heartstrings. What about you guys – got any favorites?

12 Responses to Mid-Century Architecture Pinspiration –or- What I’ve Been Staring At All Week On Pinterest

May 2, 2012 at 11:13 am

OMG, I love the doghouse, that has to be the cutest thing ever! The his and hers house is an interesting concept, I’d love to see th inside.

• RetroRuth Reply

May 2, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I love the doghouse too, Andrea!! And the story is so sweet.

2. Tasha Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:47 am

Ooh, the polka dot house is amazing. Love these photos. I also kind of am in love with the His and Hers idea and the adorable turquoise accents. Our ranch is the most modest of the mid-modest, so not tons of curb appeal, but hopefully we’ll add a little over time as we settle in.

• RetroRuth Reply

May 2, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks, Tasha! The His and Hers is sooo cute, isn’t it??

I am sure you guys will do a smashing job with curb appeal on your house. I already love what you have posted!

3. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:50 am

OMG, my house! I am honored to be in such glorious MCM company. You’ll have to check out my MCM board on Pinterest sometime!

4. Sara In AZ Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Really amazing pics Ruth! All of those houses are just beyond glorious!

And Queen….how lucky are you to have such an awesome house!!!

• Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:15 pm

We really are so lucky! I just love this house more every day. But lordy, you should see some of the other MCM houses in our neighborhood. We just drool over them on our walks!

• RetroRuth Reply

May 2, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Take some pics sometime and send them to us! We would love to see them! 🙂

5. Diana Roberts Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Love the Hollin Hills & Beattie houses! Now that you’re in Salem, you’ll have to visit the Frank Lloyd Wright Gordon House at the Oregon Garden!

6. Erin Reply

May 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I think I’ve seen that first house before, for some reason I think you can rent it for a pretty penny or two.

I actually went on the Hollis Hills house tour this past weekend. It was awesome! Goodman was really on to something. The houses have three brick walls, the rest are all floor to ceiling windows. All the houses are catty-cornered so you look out at all the beautiful parks that surround it, not your neighbor!

7. Jen Reply

May 5, 2012 at 11:35 am

SO much Heaven in one post!

I’m curious, though, about the house in Wisconsin…do you think those boxes on the pillars are planters of some sort, or just decorative flair?