Home » Decade » 1950 » Mid-Mod Menswear!

May 1, 2012

Mid-Mod Menswear!

By Andrea

So often when we think about sewing retro, it’s usually the lovely ladies dresses and other patterns that we think of sewing.  But, there’s tons of excellent menswear patterns still kicking around out there that can give a great retro look for the man of today.  I was poking around on Etsy (because my stash of patterns isn’t anywhere near big enough, hah!) and found these:

From seller HoneyBearsCloset:

My opinion might be biased, since I live in Alberta, land of cowboys, but I think there is nothing as timeless as a good western shirt.  This one’s even got transfers to do the embroidery as well!

From seller Denisecraft:

Looking for some classic Don Draper or Pete Campbell-esqe pajamas?  Look no further!  This is definitely a very classic pajama style.

From seller 316faith:

Vests are still pretty much the hottest thing in menswear right now, and many of the ones in the store have a very vintage feel.  This pattern would make up a vest that’s right on point today.

From seller MaddieModPatterns:

I know at first glance, the head to toe plaid might look a bit much!  However the style of the jacket is really classic, and would look fantastic today.

From seller GreatScott:

A sportcoat is definitely a bit more of an ambitious project, but if you’re liking the look of the plaid sportcoats the men have been wearing on Mad Men this season, this is a great way to get the look and have it fit well!

I hope this gets your creative juices flowing, readers!  Do any of you have any menswear projects planned?

13 Responses to Mid-Mod Menswear!

1. Sara In AZ Reply

May 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Those Western Shirts really are adorable Andrea! Gosh, I wish I could sew as well as you, I’d make Mike all sorts of clothes!

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

The trick becomes finding time to make all of the stuff you want to make for everybody!

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:42 am

2. Glenn Soucy Reply

May 1, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Not a bad idea! We like to don period appropriate clothing when we host parties here, but at 6’4″, 285, with a 56″ chest, there just isn’t much vintage clothing available, so we’ve made a few, mostly summer type shirts. Beats constantly dressing as Maynard G Krebs!!

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 12:45 am

I feel,your pain, Glenn! I am 5’11” tall with a build to match, and most ladies back in the day weren’t near as tall as me, it seems. If it weren’t for reproduction sewing, I’d not be wearing the period styles I love, either!

3. Pat in PA Reply

May 2, 2012 at 7:23 am

When I first met my husband, I made this pattern for the western shirt for him–several, actually. He was so impressed!! They were a challenge using the plaids–I was always very anal about lining up the plaids just right. And of course, I had a whole new lesson in putting on those pretty pearl snaps! Thirty years later, I wouldn’t have the patience for it–besides, this pattern is “fitted” for a slim guy–that doesn’t work anymore! 🙂

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:07 am

Wow, you were ambitious to sew up that shirt out of a plaid – western shirt have so many places to match up! Good to hear your hubby was impressed by your efforts! 🙂

4. Jeanne Reply

May 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

I swear to God that I made that exact western shirt pattern for my boyfriend when I was in high school! I used a brown linen-ish looking cotton for the shirt and an orange/brown plaid for the yoke. His mother was impressed!

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:08 am

That’s cool! Sounds like you sewed up a really nice shirt, Jeanne!

5. Martha K. Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:02 am

I think “KEN” (of Barbie & Ken) had all of these items in his wardrobe too!

• Andrea Reply

May 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hehe, I think you’re right, Martha!

6. 60's Sal Reply

May 6, 2012 at 11:14 am

My mom made that western pattern for my dad and a couple of my brothers, as well. One of my childhood memories is of her ironing on the transfers for the embroidery. By then, she had been sewing for forty years and made it all look so easy!

• Andrea Reply

May 6, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Forty years! Wow, I bet she did make it look easy – she probably could have whipped up those shirts in her sleep! 🙂