Home » Vintage Travel » Restaurants and Drive-Inns » Nostalgic 1950’s At Miss Katie’s Diner In Milwaukee

May 7, 2012

Nostalgic 1950’s At Miss Katie’s Diner In Milwaukee

By RetroRuth

It’s 50’s diner time! This time we are visiting Miss Katie’s Diner, where Tom and I went for breakfast on our recent trip to Milwaukee.

IMG_8562

This isn’t an authentic diner from the 1950’s (it’s only been open for 25 years), but the inside is filled with lots of Formica and little details that make it feel like it has been open forever.

IMG_8559

We were surprised to see two completely different color combos in the place. One side is red and yellow…

IMG_8558

…and the other side is green!  Interesting and fun.  But not as fun as this jukebox:

IMG_8556

Tom sat right next to it and stared at it with longing for the entire meal.  He barely paid attention to the food he was shoveling into his mouth (homemade corned beef hash) and just talked about how great the jukebox was. I think he might have found a replacement dream for his vintage slot machine!

8 Responses to Nostalgic 1950’s At Miss Katie’s Diner In Milwaukee

1. Kate Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm

GAH! How did I not know about this! (I live in Milwaukee!) It is about a mile from where I work too…I’ll have to go investigate.

What else were you up to in Milwaukee? I hope you enjoyed your trip!

• RetroRuth Reply

May 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hey Kate!!! We were up to tons in Milwaukee. Tom and I are both from that area, so we visit quite often. This trip we also went to the Milwaukee Public Museum, Tip-Top Atomic Shop and The Brass Rooster in Bay View and Comet Cafe on Farwell. Pics for all those stops are coming soon! :)

Would you be interested in a meet-up next time we visit Milwaukee? Let me know!

• Kate Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

That would be fun! I’d be game! Just give me a little notice and I’m sure we could work something out!

I LOVE the Milwaukee Public Museum! The dioramas are so COOL! I’ve been to Comet Cafe on Farwell many times…love the atmosphere and the food is SO GOOD!

I’ve been to Tip-Top Atomic Shop before too, though not for about a year or so…

Never been to the Brass Rooster!

I’ve lived in the Milwaukee Area for about 7 years and I love it! :)

2. Sara In AZ Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This place looks so adorable, I’ll just bet the food is great too! :)

3. Cindy Ferver Reply

May 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

I love Miss Katie’s, we used to go there every Tuesday night when we lived in Milwaukee. What a great place!

4. wendyvee Reply

May 7, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Wow … that is one of the prettiest jukeboxes I’ve ever seen!

May 8, 2012 at 12:14 am

I can see why Tom was longing for that jukebox – it’s gorgeous! What a cute diner.

6. Joyce W Reply

May 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

This place is AWESOME! We went there last fall – the portions are HUGE and it’s just an all around fun place. Can’t wait to go back – BTW the meatloaf was wonderful!