Home » Fashion » Accessories » This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Strangely Appealing Hats Edition

May 22, 2012

This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Strangely Appealing Hats Edition

By Betty Crafter

At long last, I believe The Great Craft Block of ‘012 is finally cracking! I actually made some progress on Little Betty’s skirt I started months ago, and even persevered through a most gruesome injury (I stuck a pin under my fingernail and out through the top. You’re welcome for that little mental picture.) Don’t worry, nothing a mustache band-aid couldn’t fix!

I hope to have a real live finished object to show you next time!
But this week, I would like to share a little vintage crafting gem I scored at a recent estate sale. Hats!

Now, let me just warn you. This pattern booklet is filled with the weirdest hats you’ve ever laid an eyeball on. Yet, strangely appealing. I am at once repulsed and attracted to their bizarre designs. The longer I looked at them the more I wanted to raid my yarn stash and get started on a few of these babies! And I don’t know who decided that all the hats should be modeled by creepy disembodied heads, but let me just say “Well done sir.”

The hat on the left here is actually kind of cute on that lady-head, but the circling hats around it not so much. I kind of want to make it just to see if it would be grotesque or flattering in real life. I have no idea which it would be.

These headband-y hats would be adorable on the ski slopes, right? Total ski bunny look. I might have to try to bring this look back.

Ok, so I’m inexplicably in love with this scarf-hat. I think it would be the warmest, comfiest winter thing ever. It would also probably get a couple sideways glances, but who cares when you’re warm and comfy?

Even though this is the creepiest disembodied head in the whole pamphlet, I’m definitely going to make this hat and purse combo for Little Betty next winter. I think she would be cute as a bug’s ear in it.

And lastly, I think we need to take a poll. Is this baffling mesh gnome hat the ugliest thing ever or is it incredibly awesome and I should post the pattern so we can all make one to wear this winter? I’m on the fence.

9 Responses to This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Strangely Appealing Hats Edition

May 22, 2012 at 9:33 am

Oh god! Your poor finger! I hate sewing-related injuries. My grandmother once sewed right through her finger on a sewing machine. Lordy.

Also, I vote that we all make and wear that blue hat from the front cover. That thing is seriously awesome.

And yes, I am down with the headbands. I think we could totally rock those.

May 22, 2012 at 9:40 am

Firsts off, ouch! Secondly, I love all of the hats except for the one with the coins? on it and that last one. That top part reminds me of those mesh sleeves that they put over delicate fruit in the market.

3. Jennifer G. Miller Reply

May 22, 2012 at 9:49 am

All those hats are quite cute. I do wonder how to keep some of them on, like the blue one on the cover and the gnome. But the gnome is a bit interesting, kind of a Dutch combo with the lacy look?

LOVE the scarf hat. I’m with you…cozy warm. I’d love to try that pattern. I am always looking for something like that!

4. Toni Reply

May 22, 2012 at 9:50 am

I had a scarf-hat combo & it was great. I love the striped beanies & the hat with the long pointy thing in the back.

May 22, 2012 at 11:14 am

Ow, ow, OW! I’ve stuck a pin under my nail before, but never so hard that it came out the other side. Ow! I am loving the ski bunny headbands for sure, and I am also loving the scarf hat, which would be incredibly practical for winter, I think! One less item to worry about losing somewhere. I think I need to make me one of those.

6. Betty Crafter Reply

May 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

Send me an email at betty@bettycrafter.com if you want the pattern for any of these! I think it would be great if we all made various hats from this pamphlet and featured them on the blog. They are so weird yet awesome. I didn’t even post them all!

7. Laura Reply

May 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm

First of all, the fabric in little Betty’s skirt is cute, cute, cute! And I’m sorry about the injury! However, the disembodied head thing has got me so weirded out I may have to skip dinner, and I can’t. stop. looking. While most of them look like they just did a cut and paste of the photo onto a background, the one with the hat-scarves looks like they actually put the models heads through some sort of background (felt?) to shoot the photos. Which leaves me with so many questions! What were they wearing? Did they think it was a strange way to model a hat? Did they fear the photographer? Did they like the hats, or were they hoping no one they knew bought the patterns? And of course: What were they thinking?

• Betty Crafter Reply

May 22, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Laura, my thoughts exactly!! My theory is that the models had to stick their heads through something for the photos because if you notice, in all the photos there is a scarf around their necks to cover up what I assume is the hole they stuck their heads through. This photo shoot just had to go down in history as the oddest one these models ever went on, I’m sure.

8. Pingback: This IS Your Granny’s Crafting! Copycat Edition | No Pattern Required