Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Etsy Finds: TV Trays

June 1, 2012

Etsy Finds: TV Trays

By Sablemable

We’ve all done it, eating  those frozen dinners of fried chicken or turkey or beef while sitting in front of the television set.   Swanson even named theirs “TV Dinners.”  The boxes looked like a television set, too!

1956swanson

1956swanson2

(above two photos courtesy of www.vintageadbrowser.com)

So, every once in a while, Americas’ mothers and wives would pop these into the ovens so family members could eat supper in front of the set.   Like these folks.

1952_TV_dinner

(photo courtesy of www.blisstime.com/eat/in-defense-in-eating-in-front-of-the-tv/)

But since the aluminum trays were burning hot, we couldn’t sit them on our laps, much less carry them into the living room.  Help!

Enter the TV tray.  Problem solved.

So I took a look on Etsy to see what MCM TV trays were out there.

This argyle pattern tray with legs from oragracevintage can hold my fried chicken dinner in style!

ora

Company’s coming, so I’ll use this set of 10 avocado-daisy trays from BarbeeVintage.

barbee

A little flower-power for my turkey and dressing from ZellesAttic.

zelles

A mod looking fruit arrangement design will suffice from LeraLu.

leralu

Hmm, the neighbors are bringing their kids along.

Would they like to use this Disney tray from estar2011?

estar

Or the Popeye and Yogi/Huckleberry Hound trays from morembwstuff?

more2

Grab a tray and gather around the Dumont!

7 Responses to Etsy Finds: TV Trays

June 1, 2012 at 9:33 am

Nice!!! I love these vintage TV trays. Tom and I were lucky enough to come across a set at an estate sale – totally atomic and only $8! We enjoy eating our TV dinners on them. 🙂

2. Silvercat Reply

June 1, 2012 at 11:06 am

I have to admit, I’m far more likely to on the couch than at the table. No tv either. I really need to get some trays! I love the blue and gold one.

3. Sara In AZ Reply

June 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

It’s so funny seeing the way Swanson used to make the TV Dinners. I just barely remember that old style in the 70s, with the foil trays and the foil covers……I guess that was before the microwave really took over though! 🙂

June 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Those are sweet! I saw a set of four with the legs at an estate sale today. Back in a basement corner. I’m hoping they’ll still be there for half price day tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

5. Lorie B. Reply

June 1, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Ok…the dog is Huklberry Hound, and it is Yogi, but what is the name of the cat? My son asked me, and I can remember him, but not his name. Help!!!

6. Penny Reply

June 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Top Cat? I saw some metal tv trays that had that really cool pine cone design on them at a neighbor’s house the other day. I want them.

June 1, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Great finds, Saaaaable! I love the argyle and avocado ones!