Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Kitchen » Appliances » Time Capsule Home With Geneva Cabinets and Original Details At Recent Estate Sale

June 18, 2012

By RetroRuth

I have to say, this time I was much better at reading my notes to myself about upcoming estate sales!!! This great sale was right around the corner from me, and this time I made sure we didn’t miss it.  On Saturday morning, I grabbed my camera and my money (oh, and Tom) and headed down.

IMG_9931

Into time-capsule paradise! This house was seriously adorable.

We got there too late to grab up some of the awesome furniture (darn it!) like that sweet coffee table on the right. But we did manage to get a few odds ‘n ends.

IMG_9934

Sadly, all these pretty doors concealed the bathrooms from us, but I was told the master bedroom contained a pink en suite!

IMG_9936

Lovely wall of built-ins.

IMG_9939

And, the ultimate time-capsule prize, a pristine metal Geneva kitchen. Notice Tom’s envious stare.

IMG_9942

Push buttons!

IMG_9943

Vintage cookbooks and dishes.

IMG_9944

Flooring!!

IMG_9945

This picture is a little dark, but here are the original gold-flecked countertops.

IMG_9937

Telephone area with adorable vintage light.

IMG_9938

Breakfast nook with mini chrome pull-down light!

IMG_9940

Swanson kitchen wrap organizer – built into the wall! I have to admit, I was pretty jealous of this.

IMG_9941

The Geneva logo that I know and love.

And, if that wasn’t enough, there was also a great basement space!

IMG_9948

Cute, huh? It has shuffleboard and everything!!!!

I’ll have to take some pictures of our scores and post them soon.  Hope everyone had a great weekend!

7 Responses to Time Capsule Home With Geneva Cabinets and Original Details At Recent Estate Sale

1. Jeanne Reply

June 18, 2012 at 9:47 am

I have a two-roll kitchen wrap organizer in my kitchen and tried to buy the smallest sized roll of celephane wrap and it wouldn’t fit. I gave up and did not do any further investigation into it. I wonder what the ladies used to use in it.

June 18, 2012 at 10:32 am

What a great house! I really, really, really want a built-in wrap organizer instead of all of my wraps living in a dark, tight (what has to be a spider) hole. And I love that floor in the kitchen. It looks like candy sprinkles. Or peering into a microscope at tiny little platelets.

3. Sara In AZ Reply

June 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Wow! What an amazing house!!!I SO wish you could have seen the bathrooms, you just know they had to be FAB!!! And that kitchen floor….AWESOME!!!!

June 18, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’ve never seen one of those wrap organizers before – too cool!

5. Roxy Reply

June 18, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My wall mounted wrap organizer fits everything I have besides paper towels (same for the one I bought my parents recently) and I don’t think I could live without it now! And as always, i’m jealous of houses that have telephone areas and those panels under the sink with the ventilation slits. It looks like whoever owned the house kept it in good shape.

6. Vickie Reply

June 19, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Oh Ruth, isn’t it just like going to “dreamland” to visit these homes?! I live in a community of 50’s ranch style homes where the owners lived until they passed & they are absolutely wonderful. But a hop/skit/jump across the road is a community of very upscale early 60’s homes – very, very retro mad men-like, where most owners were doctors, lawyers, etc & most stayed their whole lives too, and both styles of homes are an absolute fantasyland to go through. It amazes me that those monied people really did not update but took extremely good care of the era in which they lived. I Oooo and Ahhhh, and SO wish I wasn’t “of an age” to start over because I would snap up one up in a heartbeat. I just walk through them on a cloud, imagining the cocktail & pool parties they must have had. I love my pretty ranch style home but going through those others is a real trip to a time that was so stable and so elegant. It was a joy to see the gorgeous home you visited & thank you for sharing it with us. Did you buy anything???
    ~Vickie~

7. Pingback: Thrifting and Antiquing Finds – Two Vintage Radios And A Tiger Lamp | No Pattern Required