Home » Decade » 1950 » A Vintage ‘New Old Stock’ Nulco Light Is Installed At Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

July 5, 2012

By Sara in AZ

I must admit, I do love vintage lights. Take for example this vintage outdoor light.

I have a HUGE obsession with this vintage outdoor light. It’s on a house close to where Mom’s condo is and EVERY time we pass this house I always check to see if that light is still hanging.

I know, it’s kinda sad isn’t it.

I love the way the lights slants along the face and those cute little cut-outs on the sides.  SO perfect for a retro house, don’t you think?

So it was that sweet light that I always had in the back of my mind when we were planning on replacing the outdoor light in Mom’s carport. This is the current light in the carport.

*Warning* Viewing the following light may cause stomach upset and/or dizziness. Winking smile

It’s a dirty little secret I’ve been hiding for a while now.

I feel much, much better now than I’ve let y’all in on it. I hope you don’t think any worse of me….yes, we were harboring a “modern” light at the time capsule condo.

Honestly, if you had a 90s house the light would work just fine……for a 50s time capsule it is completely wrong though. This light was up when Mom bought the place, it was one of the few things the previous owners had changed out and I’m really not sure why.  It seems odd to me that virtually everything else was original and untouched, but hey ‘Let’s change out that old carport light’ why don’t we……nope can’t live with that. OK, whatever.

In looking around at the other units I was trying to determine if anyone still had the original carport light still hanging. I cannot say 100%, but I think this may have been the original carport light.

Which is a perfectly fine light, but when you have a certain special “slanted” light in mind – well nothing else will do.

So what did I do, I searched everywhere – ReStore, Goodwill, salvage places, eBay, Etsy. You name it I was there looking. Sometimes I’d wear myself out and drop the search for a while. It is kind of idiotic when I think back to my searches because I had nothing to go off of, I never even knew who the manufacturer was of my obsession light, so I did not even have that as a starting point.

And then one day I happened to be searching eBay (not even for the light mind you!) and the Outdoor Light Angels had decided that this was to be THE day.

I discovered a vintage New Old Stock Nulco Light – STILL with the original tag!!! Yes, it STILL had the original paper hang tag. I was stunned!!!!

SOLD! I bought the light, shipping included, for under $25! *happy dance* *happy dance* * I am doing the happy dance*

Sadly, no price or stock number was indicated.

OH.MY.GOSH! This light is seriously perfect. The paint is perfect,  it’s pristine. I almost feel bad about using the light.

Here is the other side of the hang tag.

I love how Nulco frosted the glass where the bulb screws into the socket.

Here is a view of the back.

And a close up of the stickers on the back.

And YAY, the 90s light has now been taken down and has been let loose among the shelves at Goodwill, where I hope it will find  a more period appropriate home!

The Nulco light is now getting wired in and attached to the wall thanks to Mike!

And we have lift-off!!!!! YAY for cute vintage lights!!!

Isn’t it just the most adorable light ever?!?

Yes, it IS the most adorable light ever!

And yes, it even lights up!

Well y’all come back next Thursday for the final wrap up and farewell to the condo renovation series. I know, it’s hard to believe we are bidding goodbye to the time capsule condo isn’t it………so sad.

17 Responses to A Vintage ‘New Old Stock’ Nulco Light Is Installed At Mom’s 1950s Time Capsule Condo

1. Sherree Reply

July 5, 2012 at 8:51 am

That light is just darling and for such a great price! You have done such a good job with your Moms condo. I look forward to your wrap up 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Thanks so much Sherree! 🙂 I just love that little light. Gosh, I cannot believe the wrap up is already almost here…..eeks!

2. Laura Reply

July 5, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Sara, even though your inspiration light is neat, I think I like the one you found EVEN better; I think the inspiration light, even if you’d been able to find an exact duplicate, looks a little too industrial for a residential setting. I LOVE the brass fittings and the reeded glass on the Nulco light. Absolutely perfect!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 6, 2012 at 12:55 am

You know what Laura, now that I compare the Nulco light to my original obsession light I also like the new one better – esp. for the condo. But, the little white light will always have a special place in my heart! 🙂

July 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Awesome! That light looks perfect!

4. Susie Reply

July 6, 2012 at 12:07 am

Oh the vintage lighting! Swoon-tastic! I too lurk on the vintage lighting but I REALLY look for original doors. In my neighborhood there is a very specific door I can spot from a mile away. Its a little game I play when I am in the passengers seat. I am still mad at my mom for getting rid of ours.

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 6, 2012 at 1:01 am

I go head over heels for just about any vintage lighting Susie…it’s my weakness! 🙂 Oooohhhh, but your door – it sounds really amazing and I’m glad to know there are others out there like me! 😉

5. Marla Griffith Reply

July 6, 2012 at 12:51 am

I have so enjoyed your posts on updating your moms 50’s condo. I look forward to it every thursday! I cant wait to see it finished, but will miss your posts.
    Your mother is lucky to have such a wonderful daughter!

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 7, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Thanks so much Marla! I am really going to miss doing the updates too, as it was really fun for me to share all the condo renovations with everyone. Fingers crossed Mike and I will find our own ‘retro’ house soon and I can start the series up all over again! 🙂

6. Onyx Reply

July 6, 2012 at 8:20 pm

That one light you think might be original looks like it to me, too. It’s very similar to the two original outside lights on the 1954 home I’m in. I love the light you found.

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for confirming for me Onyx. I was pretty sure that it was original and I think they are super cute too…..I just really love the slanted vintage light! 🙂

7. Vickie Reply

July 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

It IS, THE most adorable light ever Sarah! And it’s your reward for all your hard work. Sometimes the “whatever” gods do shine down on our obsessions & they sure did on yours! Congrats! And, I can say I am truly going to miss our Thursday updates. You’ve done THE most spectacular job – I’ve learned so much from you and your angel husband. Oh wait! I know what we can do to fill this void….you can come to Calif to MY house and start all over :- )

Yeah, that’s what we should do.

High five girlfriend – I hope there’s to be a HUUUGE house warming & we’ll all be invited :- )

8. Vickie Reply

July 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

P.S. I would have to 100% agree with Marla – your mother has a wonnnderful daughter! May I please adopt you – for at least a year?
    ;- )

One other thing I’ve wondered along the way….mom’s furniture??? Does she have retro, or have you picked up stuff along the way?? Hm, could that be a new Thursday update for us??? That would be fun for sure :- )

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 7, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Oh gosh thanks so much for all the kind words Vickie! 🙂 I really am going to miss the Thursday updates too.

Hmmmmmm, you’d better not tempt Mike and I moving to California in the middle of a hot AZ summer – it might just get you 2 house guests for a few months to do some projects for you! 😉

Mom has some retro furniture, but not tons. I think she is getting more and more into retro though as time goes on! Her condo will pretty much be a blend of modern stuff mixed with vintage.

And yes, I think Mom would let you adopt me….. if it is for just a year! 🙂

• Onyx Reply

July 7, 2012 at 2:17 pm

California? Want to work on a 1954 mid century modest? 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

July 7, 2012 at 3:26 pm

HA! I swear, I should tell Mike to just quit his job and we can start a business traveling around helping people restore their vintage houses!!!