Home » Decade » 1970 » A Vintage Volkswagen! My 1973 Westfalia Campmobile

July 10, 2012

A Vintage Volkswagen! My 1973 Westfalia Campmobile

By Andrea

There is nothing more satisfying than when you finally find the right something that you’ve been looking for forever.  My hubby and I have been shopping for a Volkswagen Westfalia camper van for months and months now, and this past weekend, we finally found the right one!

This is our 1973 Volkswagen Westfalia Campmobile.  We specifically wanted to find one that didn’t have all of the restoration work done to it yet, so that we can put our own touches on it ourselves.

This model sleeps 4 and has an icebox and sink.  The upholstery is not original, and is something I will definitely be replacing, as it’s very 80s!  We won’t be doing a restoration in the sense that everything will look original, but we’ll definitely be keeping it retro.  There’s  a lot of original features that we’ll be preserving, too.

Original Campmobile decal!

Original VW logo from the front.  This was removed to add the spare tire hanger, but I am glad that the previous owner kept it and mounted it inside!

Original hubcaps!  I love the look of these!

Stay tuned over the coming weeks, as I bring you a series showing you our progress, and eventually our finished van!  There will be lots of sewing and upholstering involved, and I hope to bring you a tutorial or two along the way.

Sadly, Ella may already be better than me at driving a standard, haha!

13 Responses to A Vintage Volkswagen! My 1973 Westfalia Campmobile

1. thatmidcenturyfella Reply

July 10, 2012 at 9:04 am

Looks like fun! My family and I restored a 1970 Chevy Nova nearly ten years back. My advice is that if you plan to keep this, think long term. Put a little money into now so you can get many more years out of it! (P.S. I hope you go camping a lot now. I love camping!)

• Andrea Reply

July 10, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thanks for the advice! We’re definitely trying to be long term in our restoration thinking, for sure, as we’d like to be camping in this for many years to come! We do camp now, but have always tented it – once we get our Westy up and running, we’re going to be camping in luxury!

2. Inky Reply

July 10, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m so jealous! When I was a senior in high school, my family picked up our Westphalia in London and spend two months camping all over Europe. What a great memory. My Dad still talks about it! You are in for wonderful memories with your little one.

• Andrea Reply

July 10, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Oh, that is too cool, Inky! I’d love to camp in Europe in one of these.

3. Sara In AZ Reply

July 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm

OMG!!! I’m jealous too Andrea, as I have always thought these were super adorable! I can’t wait to see all the cool stuff you’ll put into it!

• Andrea Reply

July 10, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Thanks, Sara! I am so excited to get started!

4. Onyx Reply

July 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Oh, memories. I used to have a 1990 VW camper. Unfortunately, cruel experience prompts me to remind you to carry a fire extinguisher on board.

• Andrea Reply

July 11, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Yikes! I will make sure I do so, just in case!

July 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

Eeee!!! How exciting! You lucky, lucky thing. That is going to be so fun for you guys, and I am sure that you are going to do a fab job at restoration!

• Andrea Reply

July 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks, Ruth! I am so excited to get started on the work!

6. Betty Crafter Reply

July 20, 2012 at 9:57 am

It’s incredible Andrea! I am so jealous. We used to have a 1961 Shasta Airflyte and we really regret ever selling it. Can’t wait to see your renovations!

• Andrea Reply

July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks, Betty! That’s too bad about your Shasta – hopefully you guys can find another one someday.

7. Pingback: My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #1 | No Pattern Required