Home » Culture & Media » Advertising » Mid-Century Rooms With Paneling from West Coast Lumber

July 9, 2012

Mid-Century Rooms With Paneling from West Coast Lumber

By RetroRuth

You know, normally when I pick up a vintage cookbook, I’m pretty much only looking at the recipes. The illustrations and the pictures are fun, but they usually are secondary.

But this is not a normal cookbook. This is Interesting Recipes From The West Coast.

Interesting Recipes001

When I picked this cookbook up, I really didn’t look at anything BUT the pictures.  This book was published by the West Coast Lumberman’s Association in Oregon, and was given out as a freebie at lumber yards. So it is just full of amazing rooms, all prettied up with lots and lots of wood trims!

Interesting Recipes002

Look at this! Look at this sweet kitchen. Adorable.

Douglas Fir and Western red cedar create a pleasant atmosphere for food preparation.

Interesting Recipes003

Rough sawn Western red cedar provides a pleasant, contrasting background to a formal dinner.

Interesting Recipes004

A spacious room made warm and friendly for relaxed entertaining by liberal use of West Coast hemlock.

Interesting Recipes005

For den or recreation room, the natural beauty of West Coast lumber paneling is a perfect foil for bright outdoor clothing. It’s durable, too.

Interesting Recipes007

Sturdy beams and roof decking of Douglas fir prove a handsome shelter for home cook-outs.

Interesting Recipes008

Wood complements any décor. Here, fine paneling of West Coast hemlock adds texture and ton impossible to attain with any other material.

Interesting Recipes009

Used as porch decking outside and paneling and framing material inside, Western red cedar graphically demonstrates its great versatility.

Interesting Recipes011

Always a favorite with home owners, bevel siding with its strong shadow lines enhances the appearance of any home. Available in Western red cedar, West Coast hemlock and Douglas fir.

What do you think, huh? Pretty amazing. By the way,  if you want to see the recipe for the pretty Filbert Tort that is pictured in the second to last photo, head over to the Mid-Century Menu.

Oh, and speaking of food, have you voted for the Worst recipe in the Glistening and Jiggly contest yet??? Even if you have, you can vote again! The poll is open until Tuesday at midnight!

10 Responses to Mid-Century Rooms With Paneling from West Coast Lumber

1. Sherree Reply

July 9, 2012 at 8:32 am

What a great find!
    I am also a cookbook junkie 🙂
    The only wood left in my whole (1951) ranch is knotty pine in the laundry room 🙂

• RetroRuth Reply

July 9, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Sherree – I love this cookbook. I think I let out a little squeal of happiness when I found it in an antique store, and it was under $1! Cookbook junkies unite!

Oh, and send us a pic of your laundry room. We always love to see original trims!

2. FlyingTexan Reply

July 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love it! I love the wood paneling, the furnishings and the people! I want the people! Can we please go back to the 50’s ~ before sweat pants?? Can we go back to “entertaining”? Sigh. I was so born in the wrong era.

Btw, I, too, am a “cookbook junkie”!

• RetroRuth Reply

July 9, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hey FlyingTexan, glad you like the post!

Hooray for cookbook junkies and vintage entertaining!

3. Maureen Reply

July 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Add me to the “cookbook junkie” club. I now have so many, but no space to show them off! I am constantly trying to brainstorm with my husband how I can get them out of the boxes and up to be seen and used. What do other people do with their collections?

I love these photos-I want to move into every one of these spaces. Plus, of course now I want the cookbook, too.

4. Jen Reply

July 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Wow, that’s a lot of wood! I really like that shelter where they are grilling, however. Paneling is one of those things that can provide a really nice and cozy look or can just make a room look cheap and dated. This is a neat find!

5. Pingback: Monday Link Roundup « Mid-Century Living

6. Laura Reply

July 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I like how they show a range of styles, from mod to outdoor to more traditional, cozy looks. I think we’ve forgotten all the options since modern home decor/design folks have been drilling into our heads “outdated, outdated, outdated” for years. I admit it took me awhile to warm up to my panelled room, but now I’m glad I decided to work with it. AND it’s more practical than it gets credit for. No scuffed paint!

July 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow! I am sure you are aware of my love of paneling by now, Ruth – so I am absolutely drooling over these pictures! Gorgeous!

8. Sara In AZ Reply

July 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm

That book is amaze-balls! 🙂 Each room is better than the next! I really and truly hope to have a paneled room of my own one day!!!