Home » Decade » 1950 » Vintage(?) Flamingo Chenille Bedspread….Sara Needs Your Help!

July 26, 2012

Vintage(?) Flamingo Chenille Bedspread….Sara Needs Your Help!

By Sara In AZ

Soooooo, I recently found this Chenille Flamingo Blanket at a Flea Market. It’s draped over the clothes line in this picture, so you cannot see the top half.

Anyway, I have NEVER seen a Chenille Flamingo Blanket in all my years of looking so I was immediately drawn to it. It did have a few condition issues such as a couple minor tears and some brown spots, so I talked them down to a $40 price. Honestly, I have no idea if that is a good buy or not but I completely loved it so I threw caution to the wind and took it home.

Here the blanket is on our Heywood Wakefield Bed after cleaning and repairs. It’s not ultra perfect, as it does have a few missing areas of chenille – but I think it still looks great and you can’t really see the problem areas anyway unless you are REALLY looking for them.

Here is a close up of the Flamingo. I just love those extra touches of the palm trees and the grass around the Flamingo!

I took some close-ups of the bedspread so you could see that the chenille runs throughout the blanket.

So my question for you is this – Has anyone ever seen a Flamingo Chenille blanket before? Do y’all feel like this is vintage or newer? I am thinking this blanket is probably vintage, but I’d like to hear what y’all have to say. I’ve looked all over the internet and I cannot even find a picture of a blanket that looks like this……help!!!

29 Responses to Vintage(?) Flamingo Chenille Bedspread….Sara Needs Your Help!

1. OrWaDesigns Reply

July 26, 2012 at 6:32 am

Hello from Vermont! Definitely vintage, you did get a good deal. You might.want to be in touch with tbis lady? She has pinned a collection of similar peacock ones!

July 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hope you are having a good time in Vermont! Yeah, maybe I will contact that lady and see if she knows anything about this blanket – thanks for the tip! 🙂

• Susan Reply

August 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I have the same spread. I purchased mine in a small town in Alabama. It is in perfect shape

2. Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese Reply

July 26, 2012 at 8:35 am

LOVE the flamingo chenille bedspread! Most definitely vintage. I would think 60’s or earlier, when the fascination with all things tropical/Florida was still in full swing.

July 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for your input Marsi! I was thinking 60s or earlier too – and I know, it’s SO Florida isn’t it! 🙂

• Cindy Vickers Reply

February 24, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Love the Flamingo..there is one on Ebay right now. The $40 price tag was, of course, a great buy!!!!!!!!!!!! Good for you…

3. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

July 26, 2012 at 10:15 am

I often think you can judge whether something is vintage by the feel, your hands just seem to know. This thing is fabulous, and even I might have paid that for it!

July 26, 2012 at 9:04 pm

So true Queen, so true….the hands just know! Newer Chenille just is not quite the same and Thanks! 🙂

4. Sherree Reply

July 26, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh I love it 🙂 I would say vintage, too for the same reasons as Marsi stated. I think you got a great deal. Now you need to collect vintage flamingo accessories!

July 26, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Thanks Sherree! 🙂 I do actually have a few different vintage Flamingo things….just wait until I do the post (coming up in a few weeks) on some road trip “finds” – I found the hugest ceramic Flamingo I have ever seen!

July 26, 2012 at 11:48 am

I vote vintage. It’s so strange that there are zero photos of flamingo chenille spreads anywhere. This must be really rare! I’m glad that you and Mike don’t have any kitties to destroy that lovely thing!

• RetroRuth Reply

July 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Jeez. Amen to that kitty thing. I have four excellent chenilles that are left in the closet because of naughty, naughty cats.

July 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks Eartha! 🙂 It just really has that vintage feel to me, and I know… it is SO weird there are virtually no photos anywhere. If we ever get kitties the Flamingo will have to be put away – bummer.

6. Julie Reply

July 26, 2012 at 11:55 am

July 26, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Thanks for finding that Julie – now I know of at least one other one that exists! 🙂

July 26, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I’d definitely say vintage. Generally newer items (often even repro) don’t have the fantastic detail that this bedspread has. It just screams vintage to me!

July 26, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Totally what I was thinking too Andrea – they NEVER would have put the palm trees on there or anything else probably if it had been made more recently.

8. Vickie Reply

July 26, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Holeee smokes girl, what a find! It’s definitely vintage & I’d say overall, you got a darn good deal because the vintage chenile I see around – not nearly as gorgeous & unique – is way more expensive. I’m jealous!! GREAT find.

July 26, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks for the comment Vickie! 🙂 I’m glad everyone seems to think it is vintage – now I know I’m not totally losing it! hee! I almost walked away from buying it, as I was thinking $40 may have even been too much – I’m sure glad I didn’t!

9. FlyingTexan Reply

July 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Sara, the bedspread looks beautiful on your bed! I can’t help you with the vintage question, although, it LOOKS vintage. I love, love, love chenille. Chenille bedspreads are expensive especially ones with detail like yours. I think you got a great deal!

July 26, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Thanks for your comment Kelly! 🙂 I really love chenille too, I just know SO little about what it is actually worth. I’m so glad to hear you think I scored a deal!

July 26, 2012 at 3:25 pm

It is totally awesome! Vintage or not, it still looks great in your bedroom!

July 26, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Thanks so much Ruth! I agree, I love it regardless of if it’s vintage or not!

11. Maureen Reply

July 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm

What a great find! I love flamingos, and that bedspread is beautiful, especially on your awesome bed.

July 26, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Thanks so much Maureen for your very kind comment! 🙂

12. Betty Crafter Reply

July 26, 2012 at 10:42 pm

I agree with everyone else – definitely vintage, especially considering it’s got a few condition issues. Repros usually look perfect. But who cares anyway? You’ve got a gorgeous, rare chenille bedspread with flamingos!! And $40?? I paid WAY more than that for my peacock one!

July 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

Yes! Why had I not thought about that before – the condition issues!!! A new chenille would totally be more perfect!!!! Thanks Betty! 🙂 I’m sure that your peacock chenille is super beautiful though and way worth the price!

13. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on eBay | No Pattern Required