Home » Decade » 1950 » Bobo’s Drive-In Topeka, Kansas – A Retrotastic Fun Eating Experience!

August 2, 2012

Bobo’s Drive-In Topeka, Kansas – A Retrotastic Fun Eating Experience!

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I recently went on a mini road trip and we thought we’d hit up some fun eating joints along the way. We had seen Bobo’s Drive In featured in an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives and thought it looked super cool so we wanted to check it out since this was our first time heading through Kansas. We got there late on a Tuesday night, not realizing that 8 pm was the closing time. So, we had to go back the next day because we did not want to miss out on trying out Bobo’s!

0612121345

0612121344

100_3416

0612121353

0612121310a

Bobo’s has been in business since 1948, but they have been operating out of this location since 1953 – so the place definitely has that retro feel to it. You can either eat in your car where the carhops will come take your order (no intercom here!) or eat inside the diner area. We decided to eat inside.

0612121315

It is super small inside, there are maybe 12 barstools if you want to sit at the counter, or 5 booths and maybe 1 or 2 tables. Luckily, it was not busy when we went so we just got a booth.

Here I am patiently waiting for our order!

0612121316

We ordered different things and then split everything up. We tried the Fish Treat and the Cheeseburger and the Onion Rings. We also had the Homemade Root Beer. Everything was super good just like you’d think a diner should be, and our waitress was the sweetest gal too!

0612121326b

If you ever have a chance to visit Bobo’s Drive-In I highly recommend it!

Next Thursday – sights from our road trip!

8 Responses to Bobo’s Drive-In Topeka, Kansas – A Retrotastic Fun Eating Experience!

August 2, 2012 at 6:47 am

Oh, gee, thanks soooo much for showing the food at 6:45 a.m., Saraaaaaa!!!!! My tummy is growling!

Neat-o place! Did they still have carhops? I bet you wanted to take away the pink seating in the restaurant, girl!

Was the flooring black and white or black and pink?

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 2, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Uh-oh, sorry Sable! :) I have to admit the food was REALLY good!

The place was super cool! They did have carhops…but not the ‘old school’ girls on skates carhops – I think it was a mix of guys and girls but since we did not eat outside I cannot say for sure.

The flooring was a black and white checkerboard. You should check it out if you are ever in Kansas!

August 2, 2012 at 10:11 am

I second sable’s comment! What’s with the onion rings before lunch? Are you TRYING to kill me??

Seriously though, super cute place! You look pretty cute yourself, Sara! Looks like it was tons of fun. Can’t wait to see more pics from your trip!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 2, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hee! Sorry to you too Ruth! :) It was SO good though – you’ll have to go if you are ever back in Kansas!

Thanks on the compliment too! It was tons of fun….more pics coming up next week!

August 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I love the pink booths and counter stools! And the onion rings are making me mightly hungry as well – and I just ate!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I know Andrea – the pink stools are booths are awesome! We’ll all have to meet up there and have the onion rings someday! :)

4. Pam Lappin Reply

August 3, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Wow, I used to drive to college in Lawrence KS from Wichita and never knew this gem was there. Now have to figure out how to get back there!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Oh my gosh, YES!!! Pam – you have got to get there one of these days…I promise you’ll love it!!!