Home » Decade » 1950 » Cool Vintage & Retro Sights From Our Recent Road Trip

August 9, 2012

Cool Vintage & Retro Sights From Our Recent Road Trip

By Sara In AZ

Mike and I were attending a family wedding in Colorado recently so we thought why not make a mini road trip out of it and have some fun along the way! We went up through New Mexico and Kansas, then into Nebraska where we finally looped back down into Colorado. It was super fun and we saw some really cool stuff during our travels. Check it out………………….

We stayed at the Motel Safari in Tucumcari NM again! It was just as cool as the last time we were there.

100_3380

However, next time I think we will give the Route 66 Motel a try. I had not noticed this motel before, perhaps that is due to us always arriving after dark – ugh, but I was really entranced by the look of the place and loved their use of decorative block – as you can see in the picture after this one.

100_3383

It’s SO cool isn’t it! We were in a hurry, otherwise I would have stopped and asked to see a room – if you look on the website though they show some pics…I love the vintage looking furniture!

100_3384

You just know that we hit up EVERY antique store, thrift store, flea market etc. that we could find and/or squeeze in! Smile Here are some pictures of things I just loved but sadly could not take home.

The seller had this tagged as a Kuba AM/FM Phonograph for $1000. I looked all over for the Kuba name but never saw it, perhaps it was on the back. It had me wondering if it was from the same Kuba company that made my dream TV the Kuba Komet, as they did make stereos and the like.

100_3393

Here is the stereo side. Pretty dreamy isn’t it!

100_3394

I pretty much fell in love with everything in this booth and wanted to take it ALL home with me, but Mike was not up for that so I picked out one thing and I was super thrilled anyway. Any guesses as to what I brought home…..it is in this picture!

100_3401

Ruth pretty much said that we HAD TO STOP at the Donut Whole in Wichita  since we were in Kansas and they have the best donuts on the face of the Earth. Yeah Ruth, you REALLY had to twist my arm on this one! Winking smile

100_3403

Yeah, we got 6 donuts…but by the time I remembered to take a picture 2 had already vaporized into thin air and neither Mike or I are fessing up! hee! And Ruth is right, they are pretty much the best donuts on the face of the Earth – check out her post on the Donut Whole.

100_3406

Back to all the pretties at the antique shops…….They had this sweet vintage light for sale at $59.

100_3424

I thought this smoking stand was pretty cool with all the wood accents, they were asking $25.

100_3426

Here is a sweet little 1950s Zenith TV for $115.

100_3428

Somebody is gonna get a deal on a Broyhill Brasilia China Cabinet check it out……………

100_3418

The asking price was $395, and I’ll just bet they would come down on that asking price since they are referring to it only as a “Mid Century China Cabinet”. Amazing!

100_3421

I thought this dresser set was really sweet, they were asking $325. I love those touches of pink!

100_3432

The seller was calling this piece an “Art Deco Cabinet”, and you can see from the picture they were asking $799. This piece was really beautiful in real life – more beautiful than the pictures can convey.

100_3438

Here is a side view, the cabinet was not very deep at all – but oh so lovely!

100_3437

I kind of geeked out when I saw the counters in this antique store – Bommerang! Love!!!!!!

100_3447

A lot of the asking prices were really fair – this chair was pretty much in mint condition and the price was only $45…I know you could spend A LOT more than that going into any new furniture store today!

100_3448

I really loved that little stool!

100_3451

So many cool things……………….

100_3452

Don’t you just love this matching set of vintage lamps! These were sale tagged at $125 for the set.

100_3500

And my very favorite thing that we did not buy……this Sputnik Pole Lamp. Isn’t is just simply spectacular. We loved it to bits, but could not justify spending $700 on it. Who knows – maybe we’ll find one at Goodwill one of these days!

100_3504

Lastly, we even saw a cute little bunny when we were leaving one antique store!

100_3456

Come back next Thursday when Mike and I go to the kitschiest restaurant on Earth!

15 Responses to Cool Vintage & Retro Sights From Our Recent Road Trip

1. Sherree Reply

August 9, 2012 at 7:30 am

What did you buy? The aqua lamp? That is what I would have gravitated to :-) Since I have become Mid-Mod-Mad, aqua is my new favorite color.
    That stereo is one of the coolest pieces I have ever seen. I think the smoking stand was a bargain. Your trip looks like so much fun. Did you take pictures of the motel room where you stayed?

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Ooohhhh, good guess Sherree – but it was not the lamp. I think if I bring one more lamp into this house Mike is going to have a hissy-fit! ;) I’m going to do a run-down of all of my finds so I will reveal what I got in that post.

The trip was a total blast! I did not take pics of the inside of the room this time, as I did a post on the Motel Safari a while back – here is a link. The place is super cool!

August 9, 2012 at 9:19 am

OMG!!! A SPUTNIK POLE LAMP!!! Holy Christmas!!! I have NEVER seen anything like that! You always spy the best stuff. :)

As for what you took home…ummm…I am guessing the little framed ballet dancers???

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I know……a Sputnik Pole Lamp – it’s just outta this world amaze-balls isn’t it!

Good guess on the Ballerina Pics too, but it’s not that! The mystery deepens!!! :) Though we did find some Ballerina Pics somewhere else that we did buy! hee!

August 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

I’m guessing the poodle towels? What a great place. Their prices are really fair and lots of things that I’ve never seen before. I could have that plaid chair and the sputnik pole lamp and never need another piece of furniture.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Hmmmmm, good guess on the Poodle towels! I guess we’ll just have to wait and see! :)

Yes, the prices are SO fair and tons of really cool things. I loved it! And I totally thought of you immediately when I saw that chair!

4. Vera Von Vixen Reply

August 9, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I absolutely LOVE that antique booth you visited in Wichita, KS! I’m from there. There are some great little shops in the city. Next time you’re about that area, Paramount Antique Mall is enormous and generally has several Mid-Century booths for inspiration.

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2012 at 4:30 pm

You know your shops Vera!!! :) We DID go to the Paramount…both of them actually! I guess they had just opened a newer store up and where we stayed overnight was close to there so we checked it out. The older one, on the other side of town, was completely awesome though – we could have spent hours in there they had SO much stuff!!!

August 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Oooh, the Art Deco cabinet is gorgeous! That Sputnik pole lamp is totally to die for but yes, $700 is a bit steep, eeek!

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

That cabinet was the bomb Andrea and that pole light…I’ll dream about it for the rest of my life!!! :)

6. Jen Reply

August 10, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Wow, what a wonderful trip! We stayed at the Safari last year—best place in Tucumcari! Didn’t have time for all of the thrifting, though (and I’d have gladly left some luggage behind to bring some of those goodies home, WOW!). The sputnik lamp! The BROYHILL! Ahhh! If I hit the lottery, I know exactly where to shop, thank you. ;)

• Sara In AZ Reply

August 11, 2012 at 2:22 pm

That is SO cool that y’all stayed at the Safari too Jen! The place really is awesome! We tried to squeeze in as much time as we could for thrifting, but there is never ENOUGH time to do it all. ;) And I agree, I we ever hit the lottery I know exactly where we are going shopping too! hee!

7. Shelley Reply

September 10, 2012 at 11:44 pm

What antique mall/store did you find the TV and the lamp at? I must have them, I love them..What amazing finds!! Thank you for publishing <3

• Sara In AZ Reply

September 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Shelly – Oh gosh…we were all over the place in Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado so I can’t really say. I know the TV was somewhere in Kansas – I think in the Wichita area??? And if you were talking about the Sputnik Pole lamp…that I know was in Mod Livin’ in Denver Co. Sorry I cannot be more specific!

8. Tom coco Reply

January 5, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I found that very same Sputnik pole lamp at a garage sale for $10 so keep looking! I love it, but the perosn selling it said they were glad to get rid of “at ugly thing”.
    Best of luck!