Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Sixties Bedrooms For Your Daughters

August 17, 2012

Sixties Bedrooms For Your Daughters

By Sablemable

Those of you who own homes built in the late  Sixties and have teenaged daughters may delight in seeing these bedroom decorating ideas.  You should be able to duplicate the styles and maybe find NOS linens of the era.

The photos are from my collection of Seventeen magazines.

Be prepared to be blinded by color!

APRIL 1969 ISSUE

APRIL69A

APRIL69B

APRIL69B (2)

APRIL69C

APRIL69D

APRIL69D (2)

APRIL69E

APRIL69F

APRIL69F (2)

OCTOBER 1966 ISSUE

A daybed, beaded curtains, Granny’s pillows, furniture to find in thrift stores.

OCT66A

Bamboo furniture, chartreuse walls and pink, red & white accents.  Even window shades!

OCT66B

Another daybed with a homemade spread, fisherman’s netting to hang keepsakes and a shag throw rug.

OCT66C

Brass bed, backrest and a table on casters.

OCT66D

A make-shift window seat from an old trunk, repainted and covered with material to match the shade.  The “jewelry” tree is a creative way to display your treasures.

OCT66E

Show these to your daughter and see if they don’t spark an interest in decorating a la MCM!

13 Responses to Sixties Bedrooms For Your Daughters

August 17, 2012 at 8:54 am

Teen daughters? How about mom? I think I’m going to use the pink and chartreuse combo for my sewing/guest room. That is darling!

• sablemable Reply

August 17, 2012 at 10:09 am

LOL, Andrea! I forgot about us big girls! Go for it and send pics, please!

2. maria Reply

August 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

i am 49 years old and i had the exact wall paper from the first photo and the orange and pink flowered sheets. i had no idea my mom was so hip

• sablemable Reply

August 17, 2012 at 10:11 am

Hi, Maria! What a coincidence! Did you live in a mid-century modern house?

August 17, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love the one with the chartreuse walls, and the one with the gingham wallpaper is quite cute, too. I think these looks could definitely be made to work for a range of ages!

• sablemable Reply

August 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!! What with your creative talents, you should really be capable of doing one of those rooms!

I got to thinking that back in the late Sixties, using castoff furniture and odd trinkets were becoming a hot decorating trend. Who knew that they were recycling, LOL!

4. Natalie S. Reply

August 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

The second one with the little bed alcove is fantastic!

August 17, 2012 at 5:03 pm

That table on casters is brilliant!

6. Desirae Reply

August 17, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I used to have the bedspread in the second photo with the green flowers about 13 years ago. Picked it up at a thrift store. Loved how bright it was.

7. Silvercat Reply

August 21, 2012 at 1:38 pm

That second one looks so cozy! And I love the giant fish pillow.

8. JustBeachin Reply

August 24, 2012 at 7:02 pm

OMG!! I had the orange and pink “hippie flower” towels (second picture) in my bathroom when I was a teenager! My parents let me go wild decorating this room when they built the house. I chose light pink matte tile for the floor and a large geometric pink and silver foil wallpaper for the walls! I also had several of those “hippie flower” vinyl stickers on the enormous mirror over the vanity on the opposite wall. Needless to say, it was a very bright room! The towels are pretty worn out now, but the dog gets a bath in style and I get to go back in time remembering my youth and the cool stuff my parents let me design!!

9. Sharon Reply

April 2, 2013 at 8:53 am

I love seeing pics like this without a lot of snide, cynical commentary. Either one of the pink and green bedrooms would be a huge hit with my 9 year old daughter.

10. Laura Reply

July 16, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I modeled my bedroom back in the early 1970’s after the second bedroom.I had my bed in a alcove and hung sheets on a rod across. I still love that room.I use to pour over the bedrooms that where featured in the Seventeen magazines.