Home » Decorating & Home » Mid-Century Decorating » Lighting » Wondering Wednesdays – Reader Questions About A Danish Modern Lamp And Vintage Jeweled Purse Kits

August 1, 2012

By RetroRuth

We have been getting a ridiculous amount of email lately with questions from readers. The way we’ve been answering all these questions is to forward the email to all the writers for No Pattern Required and whoever knows the answer throws in their two cents. I can’t lie, it’s been a ton of fun. It’s been so much fun that I am starting a new feature here on NPR: Wondering Wednesdays! Send us your questions via our contact form or send them to ruth@nopatternrequired.com and we will do our best to help you out!

This week we have two questions. The first is from Robin, who writes:

I was wondering if you could tell me about this lamp I bought at Goodwill for 10 dollars. I’d like to put a shade on it but have no idea what size or shape it would be. The lamp is about 15 inches at it’s widest part and 36" tall. I have looked all over the internet and can find nothing. I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer.

Bentwood Lamp

Betty Crafter says:

Looks like a cool Danish modern lamp to me, and a steal at $10! I recommend a classic barrel shade in a cream color, and probably a pretty large one. They can often be found while thrifting for just a few bucks.

SableMable says:

Yes, I agree with Betty! You want one of the taller shades and cream would look great!

Sara in AZ says:

I’d have to agree with Betty – definitely Danish modern – no idea of the maker though. For sure needs a large/tall drum shade!

Our second question comes from Jill, who writes:

I am looking for a Jewel Tone or Enid Purse Kit. Back in the 60s my sisters and I made bought the kits and made a peacock, owl, and sunset. I want to make it myself. It doesn’t have to be an Enid as I know those are difficult to find, but it could be a knock off. Do you know where I could purchase a kit?

Betty Crafter says:

Hi Jill!

Actually, Enid Collins did not make kits. To my knowledge Jewel Tone was the only company making kits, although there quite possibly were others. Here are a couple of Jewel Tone kits on eBay:

Jewel Purse Kit

Regency Jewel Tone Purse Kit

Jewel Tone Handbag

Jewel Tone Handbag Ladybug kit

If you end up making one we’d love to see! Keep us posted!

So readers, do YOU have answers for Robin and Jill? If so, leave them in the comments. And if you have a question you want to ask all of us, send it along!

4 Responses to Wondering Wednesdays – Reader Questions About A Danish Modern Lamp And Vintage Jeweled Purse Kits

August 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

Ooh! i love this feature! I have these things that I’ve been trying to figure out. I think I’ll send you a picture. You might even know right off of the bat but they’ve got me plenty stumped.

2. Sara In AZ Reply

August 1, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I think the Jewel Tone kits are definitely what Jill is looking for -it all sounds like themes they had on their bags .

Betty – I think the Collins ‘Sophistikit’ bags came out as DIY – at least some of them, didn’t they???

3. MidModChris Reply

August 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

For the lamp, you will need a harp (it’s the metal loop that the shade sits on and is screwed to). You’ll want to try to find a tall harp because a the most standard one won’t give you enough height. The lampshade, when on said harp, should only cover a small amount of the wood at the top – so that the wood “spikes” are visible when the lamp is on a table and you are sitting (at that angle with this size of lamp, you’ll be able to see under the shade). I’d look for a vintage drum/cylinder shade in a cream/off-white like the others mentioned at Goodwill, Salvation Army, Value World/Village, Re-Store or garage/estate sales or even from an ugly lamp on craigslist. It will most likely be difficult or very expensive to find a suitable new shade (of that size). It’s a great lamp. Good luck in your search!

4. Maureen Reply

August 2, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I’m so happy you started this! The full brain power of the NPR crew to the rescue, who could ask for more than that?