Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor-Royal Oak, Michigan

August 24, 2012

Won’t You Be My Neighbor-Royal Oak, Michigan

By Sablemable

One of our readers and a new friend, George, has his home up for sale.  George wrote Retro Ruth explaining he had to relocate from the suburbs to the big city of Detroit.  His home is a real MCM gem, gang and we have the photos to prove it!

Located at 616 Wellesley Avenue, this classic ranch home was built in 1950.  There are 3 bedrooms, 1 full bath, 1 half bath and 1,431 square feet.  The asking price is $149,900.00 and Max Broock Realtors has the listing and may be contacted via their website, www.maxbroock.com or ring them up at their Royal Oak office, 248-548-9100.

I’ll let you find all of the MCM treasures, readers and comment on them.  Oxygen is on stand-by.

Photos are courtesy of Zillow and George (I’ll explain shortly.)

The Living Room.  Looks like a nice, flowing floor plan.

The Dining Room

The Kitchen

The Bedrooms

Okay, George!  I wasn’t certain which one of the two photos below was the 3rd bedroom or part of another room, so would you please clarify these rooms?  Thank you!

The Sun Room (although the description called it a Florida Room, but we don’t live in Florida).

The Full Bathroom

(Here’s where I explain about George and the photos.  The realtor did not include shots of the bathroom. George was so kind as to take a few photos for us.  Kudos!)

Notice, readers, the framed nudes?  According to George, the original owner’s wife was an artist and fortunately had left these behind in the attic to be discovered!  Looks like sepia tones pastels.

Also, my sense of color must be off, as I thought the tile was light green and dark brown. Nope, says George, it’s gray and burgundy!

So, gang!  Are you ga-ga over this house?  I am! I am!  Tell us what you adore about George’s home!

George, like I’ve said before, if I could clone myself I would definitely buy your home and live there.  Thank you so very much for all of the information and photographs!  If I missed anything, or if I made a boo-boo, feel free to correct me!

8 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor-Royal Oak, Michigan

August 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

What a a beautiful home! My favorite room is the sunroom. That one made me gasp out loud. I wish him lots of luck and a quick sale – and that the perfect caretaker comes along to keep his home just as lovely for many, many more decades. We also were left art from a previous owner but it’s not *nearly* as nice!

2. Charlotte Reply

August 24, 2012 at 9:15 am

Beautiful house and a great town too. That home should make some lucky buyers very happy!

3. Laura Reply

August 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

I used to live in the greater Detroit area, and Royal Oak is full of vintage homes that are real gems. This looks like one of them. Michiganders call sun rooms Florida rooms, though it seems like at least six months out the year, they should be called Nebraska Nooks– brrrr! The bathroom is awesome!

• sablemable Reply

August 25, 2012 at 9:16 am

LOL, sun rooms/Florida rooms in arctic areas are totally worthless in the winter! Here in my area of Michigan, we’ve always called them sun rooms. I have one in my 1955 ranch, all paneled.

August 24, 2012 at 12:21 pm

What a fantastic house! I am madly in love with the sunroom and that fireplace. The bathroom is utterly fantastic, too!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

August 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Wow, what an amazing house George….if only it were in Arizona!!! That bathroom is awesome – and I agree Sable…I could have sworn the tile was light green and brown!

• sablemable Reply

August 25, 2012 at 9:13 am

LOL, then it’s not my eyesight then or else we’re both color-blind!

6. Jen Reply

August 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Oh, wow. This is near my old neck of the woods, and my grandfather still lives in Royal Oak! It’s a wonderful area, central to everything—and what a steal this house is, too. I remember looking in Berkley (granted, well before the market blew up), and people were not only asking but GETTING $200K for 1200 square feet with no garage on a postage stamp lot. Good luck, George, I hope it sells quickly! If we were heading back to Detroit, I’d be banging on your door with an offer. And maybe cupcakes. 😉 Beautiful home!