Home » Decorating & Home » Vintage » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Shreveport, Louisiana

August 19, 2012

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Shreveport, Louisiana

By Sablemable

This is it, readers!  What a wonderful treat I have to present to you today!

Built in 1936, today’s home is referred to as Streamline Moderne, a late style of Art Deco, but without the ornamentation and with the introduction of curved lines, glass brick and flat roofs.

The architect of this home was Theodore A. Flaxman.  I couldn’t find any information about him, but he apparently built a lot of this style of buildings in Shreveport.  Several of his structures are now classified as historic, including this house.

Continuing on, the home has 4 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms and 1 half bathroom.  There is 3,827 square feet.  There has been some restorations done inside, but darned if I can tell what’s been restored, as the details are accurate to the era.

The price is $775,000.00 and Coldwell Banker J. Wesley Dowling Associates, Inc. have the listing and may be reached at 318-213-1555.

If you look at the first photo, this is the half-round glass blocked area off the front door steps.  Beautiful!

Notice the recessed lights in the base of the steps?

The cabinets look original, but maybe not and the flooring is probably new, but looks great!  Also looks like stainless steel countertops.  Yes, there’s a Viking stove, but we don’t care, the kitchen is still marvelous!

According to the listing description, this bathroom had been restored.  Can you tell any difference?  I can’t.

And, this bathroom is ALL original!

I have to confess that I had about given up on finding a home to show today, but thankfully, I switched regions and began exploring the South.  Whew!

What are your feelings about today’s home, readers?

16 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Shreveport, Louisiana

1. Laura Reply

August 19, 2012 at 11:50 am

I heart that house big time! I’m a bit of a steamline moderne student, and this home is a real rarity in the U.S. The style was used a lot in public spaces (think railroad stations and diners) but not much in residential architecture. (Sorry, getting my geek on. 🙂 ) This place is awe. some. Hope the house is on a historical register, and that the new owners treasure it for what it is. How beautiful!

• sablemable Reply

August 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Hi, Laura! From my understanding, this house is on a historical register and it is the only SM home in Shreveport. I’m not very familiar with SM, but I will be!

There is a building here in my home town that is SM. The same family has owned it since its construction in the late Thirties. There’s even an upstairs apartment where the family lived. Fantastic building and I didn’t even know it was considered SM!

2. Sara In AZ Reply

August 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm

That house is amazeballs!!!

• sablemable Reply

August 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! I know! When I found it, I almost blacked out from lack of oxygen!

August 19, 2012 at 3:02 pm

My goodness….MY GOODNESS!!!

4. Maureen Reply

August 19, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I think this is the most beautiful house I have ever seen!!! I literally gasped when I saw the first picture.

5. sudha Reply

August 20, 2012 at 5:07 am

we have a lot of such Art deco- modern transition homes in india, and the city i was born and grew up in particular have classified vintage homes..unfortunately due to the age of Indian architecture these homes are not considered heritage or historic yet. so many are being torn down to make way for multi level apartment homes…:(

6. Onyx Reply

August 20, 2012 at 5:13 am

Oh wow, I’m seriously in love.

7. deborah Reply

August 20, 2012 at 5:52 am

That’s a bit of heaven in a brick…

8. Mary Reply

August 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

Fantastic! Love it!…

August 20, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Saaaaaable! I think I just died when I saw that house! Wow, wow, WOW!

10. Jennifer G. Miller Reply

August 20, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Love this house! I lived in Shreveport for many years, and I would jump at the chance to go back if I could live there!

11. Silvercat Reply

August 21, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Wow, that’s gorgeous. All that beautiful wood!

12. Jenn Reply

August 25, 2012 at 7:57 am

Wow, that is really a beautiful home, I half expect Nick and Nora Charles to be sitting on the couch with martinis in hand.
    Love this site, I’ve been logging in for a long time now, keep up all the great work you ladies do, thank you!

13. Jim Reply

December 22, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Read about this house in local Shreveport rag in Dr’s office this morn. Owner bought home in ’06 took an 8-week architecture course at Harvard and restored it using materials that were available in 30s. Good stuff & Great Post!!

14. Janette Miller Reply

March 23, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I lived across the street from this house when the original owner passed away and Mr Long bought it. The master bathroom originally had a maroon bathtub, commode, and vanity (stood on chrome legs). I was amazed because my house was traditional and had the exact same fixtures in the master when we bought it. I was happy to see he left the family room the way it was with that huge bar area and the custom sofa in the rounded area where the glass blocks are. When I saw this room, it was still stocked with old glass liquor containers.
    He did a great job on the restoration of the house. I hope he gets his asking price. It is a great neighborhood to live in also. People there are very warm and inviting. We renovated our house and lived there for six years. I miss our house and the great neighbors!