Home » Decade » 1970 » My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #3

September 4, 2012

My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #3

By Andrea

Things are rolling right along with our Westi!  For this update, I’ve got some pictures of a couple of smaller projects that I worked on.

This is the condition that the front seats were in when we bought the bus.  They’ve definitely seen better days.  My initial plan was to completely reupholster them, but due to some time constraints, we decided that this wasn’t the best way to go.

 

We bought these inexpensive seat covers off of eBay, which did fit the seats well.  However the main fabric of the seat covers wasn’t the best quality.  I decided to use these seat covers as a pattern, and make some custom ones out of the red vinyl that I had been using.

Here’s the finished seat covers!  I am definitely much happier with the look of these over the ones that we bought.

The sun visors from the bus were a little beat up and stained.  I gave them a good cleaning, but still wasn’t 100% happy with them, so I decided to cover them with fabric.  I traced around the visor on to the fabric, but didn’t cut the shape out yet.

I stitched along my drawn line, leaving an opening for turning.  After that, I trimmed along the edge of my sewing, leaving a seam allowance.

I turned the covers right side out, inserted the visors, and pinned the opening closed, prepping it for hand sewing.

Here’s the finished visor!

 

And here’s a preview of the visor in the bus!

Come back in two weeks for my next progress report!  Questions and comments are always welcome.

Share This Post

8 Responses to My Vintage Volkswagen Westfalia – Progress Report #3

  1. Dear Helen Hartman Reply

    September 4, 2012 at 7:53 am

    Cute idea about the visors. Makes me want to update mine on my plain ol’ regular car! Watching the progress is fun.

    • Andrea Reply

      September 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

      Thanks! Doing the ones in the bus has made me want to update the ones in my car as well, too. Just need to pick a fabric!

  2. Betty Crafter Reply

    September 4, 2012 at 1:32 pm

    Looks great! I also love your idea for the visors!

    • Andrea Reply

      September 5, 2012 at 12:50 pm

      Thanks, Betty! The visors were a pretty easy update that I think will add a lot of punch in the finished bus!

  3. Sara In AZ Reply

    September 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

    Those red vinyl seat covers are SO cool, I love that! And great job sewing everything too – you are just a whiz Andrea!

    • Andrea Reply

      September 5, 2012 at 12:51 pm

      Thanks, Sara! I am pretty pleased with the seat covers too, a definite improvement over the tan ones, I think!

  4. Anonymous Reply

    July 10, 2013 at 1:34 pm

    Fabric cover for the visors!! Brilliant!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>