Home » Decorating & Home » Shopping » Recent Finds From Iowa – Seattle ‘64 World’s Fair Glasses, A Lamp and A Bird Planter

September 17, 2012

By RetroRuth

So, even though we set out on our recent trip with the goal of delivering a Midnight the cat to Sara in AZ, we still managed to accumulate some vintage stuff. Our best stop was at The Brass Armadillo in Des Moines, Iowa.  It is part of a chain of antique malls (say what?) and it was just packed with fun stuff. When we walked in they even gave us a map and a pencil so we could write down where we saw stuff in case we wanted to go back for it. I really, really wish we would have time to take pictures for you guys. But we really only ran in and out since we had a HUGE drive ahead of us. We just grabbed up whatever items could fit in our arms as we raced through.

It turns out Tom can hold a lot of frosted glasses if he wants to.

IMG_0503

We have been looking for these Seattle World’s Fair glasses for a while now in good condition and for a reasonable price. Tom was especially happy to find so many!

IMG_0508

They are now happily nestled in the cabinet with the Harlequin, and we are on the lookout for rest of them!

IMG_0511

This little lamp was just too cute to leave. I don’t normally see these with a perfect plastic shade, so I snapped this one up.

IMG_0512

And last of all, we got this cute little bird friend for the birdie planter that was already living in our pink bathroom. I figure this will be good for cotton balls or Q-tips…or maybe just to look adorable!

Anybody else have any fun finds this weekend?? I would love to hear about them!

10 Responses to Recent Finds From Iowa – Seattle ‘64 World’s Fair Glasses, A Lamp and A Bird Planter

1. Susie Reply

September 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Swoon, Pink Bathroom.

• RetroRuth Reply

September 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

I know, right? I LOVE that bathroom. 🙂

2. veg-o-matic Reply

September 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I have that same lamp in turquoise!

September 17, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Oh, those World’s Fair glasses are FANTASTIC, Ruth! Your birdie is utterly cute too, and you’re right, he looks like he would be the perfect Q-Tip holder!

• RetroRuth Reply

September 19, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I am glad you think he would be a good Q-Tip holder! I will have to go implement that right after I finish writing this comment… 🙂

4. Sara In AZ Reply

September 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I love all of your finds, esp. that sweet little lamp!

Brass Armadillo stores are the best! We have 2 here in Phoenix and we’ve also been to the one in Denver…..it always takes us SO long to get through them, but it’s so much fun!

• RetroRuth Reply

September 19, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Sara – I am a little jealous! I would love having this store closer to me. Or maybe not, since I would be there all the time. 🙂

5. rae Reply

September 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

i LOVE frosted glasses like that. i have a whole set of cactus ones, and i wouldn’t be able to resist those either! i have a plater that looks just like your new bird, except the long is more horizontal. very cute. i didn’t hit any sales this past weekend, but there is an auction and an AMAZING looking sale coming up this weekend! i can’t wait!

6. Pingback: “New” Vintage Frosted Souvenir Glasses From the 1964 New York World’s Fair | No Pattern Required