Home » Decade » 1940 » Bomb Girls: A Cool New Series Set Against the 1940s WWII Era on REELZ Channel!

October 4, 2012

Bomb Girls: A Cool New Series Set Against the 1940s WWII Era on REELZ Channel!

By Sara In AZ

I don’t know how I completely missed seeing any promotion for the new series Bomb Girls…………maybe there was not a lot of promo that was done for the show??? Anyway, the name “Bomb Girls” quickly went across the TV screen as Mike was scrolling through the channels last week and we were both intrigued about what that title could mean. Were they talking to modern-day women who made bombs? Was it possibly a show on modern-day terrorism? Who knew?

He quickly went back to the REELZ channel and we feasted our eyes upon some sweet 1940s era eye candy! The episode we came across was already half over, so I have some episodes set to record this week, as of writing this post I have not actually seen any of the shows………but all of the reviews I have read are glowing and people really adore the show.

According to Wikipedia Bomb Girls  debuted in January 2012 in Canada. It was originally only meant to be a 6 part drama, but has now been turned into a series. The REELZ Channel picked up Bomb Girls and started airing episodes in early September 2012. Wikipedia summarizes the show with this statement “Bomb Girls profiles the stories of four women working in a Canadian munitions factory in World War II”.

After seeing some scenes in Bomb Girls it made me nostalgic for my all time favorite show ever Homefront. I don’t know if anyone out there remembers this show, but it aired on ABC in the early 1990s. It was set in the mid to late 1940s as all the men were returning home from WWII and the show even had John Slattery (Roger Sterling) as a recurring character. ABC cancelled the show after only a few seasons citing low ratings. Yeah, I was pretty much devastated when they cancelled Homefront. I looked all over the web, but it does not seem to be available for viewing as a download unless I missed something. I found a set of Homefront DVD’s for sale through this ‘TV Classics’ website. I also saw someone on You Tube has some episodes uploaded there, so if you want to check the show out just to see what it was like maybe go there…….but be sure you type in ‘Homefront TV show’ – otherwise there are too many other things that will pop up.

Getting back to Bomb Girls, it looks pretty amazing and I cannot wait to see it! If anyone out there has seen this show already please leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.

Because the main Bomb Girls website is based out of Canada all of the video content on that site is not viewable if you are in the US. You will have to go to the REELZ /Bomb Girls website to view the video content if you live in the USA.

If you do not have REELZ channel available you can also download the show on Huluplus and other websites may have the show available to view as well.

The show looks awesome doesn’t it!

I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait to see it!

All of the pictures are either from the Bomb Girls/Global TV website, or from the REELZ/Bomb Girls website. Homefront picture from sharetv.org.

27 Responses to Bomb Girls: A Cool New Series Set Against the 1940s WWII Era on REELZ Channel!

1. Timothy Reply

October 4, 2012 at 9:47 am

I so cannot wait for my DVR to start recording this!!! Thank you so much for finding it!

One of my favorite shows of all time was Homefront as well! I was a mere freshman/sophomore in high school when it was on tv and i was the only person in my house that watched it but I loved every minute of it!!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I hope we like it as much as Homefront Timothy! 🙂 And cheers to another Homefront fan!!! It seems like everyone really loves Bomb Girls, so I am sure we will love it too!

• joyce Reply

April 17, 2013 at 10:47 am

Sara, my sister lives in Arizona, I told her about Bomb Girls,what station does it come on out there in Arizona? tks. Joyce

• Sara In AZ Reply

April 17, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Hi Joyce – It might be different channels depending on what cable provider you have…..the show is on REELZ and we have DirectTV so it’s on channel 238. You may just want to tell your sister to search for the REELZ channel, I know the show airs on Wednesdays. Hope that helps!

2. Jen Reply

October 4, 2012 at 9:52 am

I LOVE Bomb Girls! You should also check out Call the Midwife on PBS. It’s set in 1950’s London.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Thanks for letting me know Jen! I recorded Call The Midwife and just watched it last night, I thought it was really good!

3. renee Reply

October 4, 2012 at 11:32 am

OMG Sara, I discovered it the exactly the same way and I’m so glad I did. I love Bomb Girls.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm

hee! Too funny Renee! And it’s good to know you like it as well, it seems like it’ll be an awesome show!

4. Toni Reply

October 4, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I LOVED Homefront! I was so sad when it was cancelled. Whenever I see the actors from that show, I’m reminded if it (Kyle Chandler was soooo hot then).

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Homefront was seriously AWESOME……I even wrote into the ‘Dear Abby Save the Homefront show’ campaign! I know, every time I saw Kyle Chandler in Friday Night Lights I always thought “Homefront!”

• Maureen Reply

October 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Oh, I love Kyle Chandler so much! He was hot then, now and always will be!

5. lydia Reply

October 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I have been watching Bomb girls I think for three weeks now. Like most shows the first few were slow but Tuesdays was good. I would recommend Land Girls season one is on Netflix. Season 2 in now on pbs but I keep missing it.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thanks for letting me know Lydia!

Land Girls………….Wow, all these shows I have never even heard of! Thanks for the heads up!

October 4, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I tried watching Bomb Girls (for any other Canadians, it’s currently on Showcase. I think it was originally on Global) – however the episode I saw had a girl suffer quite an accident in the bomb factory, that kind of put me off of the show. Maybe I should try it again, though!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Eek! Sounds like you caught a sad episode Andrea. 🙁 Yeah, maybe you should try watching it again, I’d hope the show is not all about stuff like that……but gosh, you know that kind of stuff happened so I guess they were trying to be realistic.

• Andrea Reply

October 5, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I think it was just a touch gorier than I expected! And I wasn’t expecting it, either, so it caught me a little off guard. I think I’ll give it another try, though.

• lydia Reply

October 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Andrea i know exactly what you are talking about. It does get better but its not great im not on the edge of my seat. Ill pretty must watch anything set back in time. I watch alot on my laptop on Netflix ive discovered some really good series and films. I think Bomb girls is good because of the costumes and scenery. The acting isnt great its no Downton Abbey lol

• Andrea Reply

October 5, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I am with you, I’ll watch pretty much anything historical, too!

7. Kristi Reply

October 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I will definitely have to check this out. My mom and I LOVED Homefront! We were so sad when it was cancelled.

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 4, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I know Kristi, I can’t wait to see it! I know noting will ever probably be as good as Homefront was, but it seems like this will be fun to watch!

8. Susan D Reply

October 9, 2012 at 10:15 am

Add me as another Homefront fan. I recorded them on VHS but can’t play them these days I wished they would be released as a complete set on DVD with extras, and now I see that at least the episodes have been.

I lost all love for ABC with this stupid move. And they went on to cancel many other TV shows I really enjoyed through their narrow sightedness.

I’m not sure if we get REELZ but one of my friends sent me the episodes so I’m looking forward to watching them. This era reminds me of my parents. While my father was in the Coast Guard, mom was working on carburetors at the Gillette factory 🙂

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 9, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I’m with you Susan, I wish the complete set would be issued on DVD’s with extras and all that fun other stuff too! I’m actually really surprised Homefront has not been fully released like that yet!

I know what you mean about losing love for ABC, I can’t even think of one show I watch on that channel anymore. I guess it’s mostly cable that has the good shows now.

I can’t wait to see Bomb Girls, I hope we like the show as much as Homefront, And that is so cool that your parents were part of that era too!

9. Susan D Reply

October 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

One more thing…I noticed on that website they also sell Remember WENN. This was an AMC production and it was really, really good. Takes place in an old radio studio. If you have the time and money, this would be a good treat for yourself as well!

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Thanks so much for the heads up Susan! I will definitely try to check out Remember WENN, it sounds awesome – I guess I missed that show somehow.

10. Leslie Reply

October 17, 2012 at 1:24 am

Will there be another season of Bomb Girls? They can’t just us hanging like this. I don’t want Kate/Mary to leave. And what about nora’s pregnancy? Oh and ……….

• Sara In AZ Reply

October 18, 2012 at 2:33 am

Hi Leslie – Apparently Bomb Girls was originally only supposed to be the 6 part series, but since it was so popular it has now been turned into a series. I’m sure Canada will get the episodes first though, so we’ll just have to wait it out here in the US to see the new episodes!