Home » MCM Fun » Author » Vintage Wedding Cakes From Maid of Scandinavia

October 22, 2012

Vintage Wedding Cakes From Maid of Scandinavia

By RetroRuth

I know I usually keep vintage food posts on the Mid-Century Menu, but these wedding cakes were so fantastic, I decided to make an exception for them.

I recently had a good experience on eBay (for once) and managed to strike up a conversation with a seller who had just bought a TON of issues of Maid of Scandinavia’s Mail Box News.  If you aren’t familiar with this publication and you like to bake, you should totally spring for some. The older issues are full of great pictures of cakes, tons of tips for cake decorating and the most outstanding recipes ever.

In any case, this seller bought a bunch of these little magazines at an estate sale and didn’t feel like listing all of them. Consequently, I was able to talk her in to a fantastic deal for both of us. She would sell me the 79 issues she had for about 30 cents each. I got a good deal and she didn’t have to list them all. Win-win.

And when they came and I got to see the special wedding cake issues, it turned  into even more of a win.

Wedding Cake001

These pictures are from the May and June 1969 issues of Mail Box News.  I absolutely ADORE them!

Wedding Cake002

Wedding Cake003

Wedding Cake004

Cover001

Wedding Cake001

Wedding Cake002

Wedding Cake003

Wedding Cake005

Wedding Cake005

What do you think, guys??

11 Responses to Vintage Wedding Cakes From Maid of Scandinavia

October 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

That last cake is crazy!

2. Jennifer G. Miller Reply

October 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

These are just wonderful! My mother used that chi-rho wedding cross for her 1965 wedding cake.

When Maid of Scandinavia closed it was a travesty! So many of my MCM sources refer to something from them!

3. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

October 22, 2012 at 2:01 pm

This was a blast from the past! We married in 1972, so our wedding cake was definitely of this ilk. My brother in law was in culinary school and made our cake. It was 4 feet tall and had a lighted, running fountain in it!

4. Laura Reply

October 22, 2012 at 7:11 pm

It’s amusing how much times have changed, isn’t it? This super-ornate trend lasted long past the 50s-60s though. I got married during the height of the Diana Princess of Wales influence on bridal fashion, so dress sleeves, veils, trains, floral arrangements and yes, even cakes were completely over the top. Then again, nearly everything in wedding cakes now is rolled fondant, and I think it’s sort of plastic looking and even yuckier tasting. I wonder if 30 years from now people will look back on today’s cakes with the same laughs?

5. Maureen Reply

October 22, 2012 at 9:19 pm

You got a great deal! I picked up about 20 of these Mail Box News at my local antique store, I think I paid $1 a piece. I couldn’t resist though, and huge bonus to me, someone made notes on some of the recipes. I LOVE that!

6. Sara In AZ Reply

October 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

You know what is funny, when Mike and I got married back in 1998 the fondant train had just started rolling – but I was hell bent on getting a cake JUST like the ones you pictured here! I wanted a normal “old school” regular wedding cake. So we went down to the local grocery store and ordered up a pink (of course!) heart shaped cake with pillars and everything and I just loved that cake to bits….and it tasted great too!

7. Diane Reply

October 22, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love the cake top that looks like the bride and groom initials are embroidered on the heart. The swans remind me of my own cake in the early 80′s. The reception hall was to warm and the swans on the edges slid off the cake. It was an omen I’m sure…LOL

8. Beverly Reply

May 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm

My mother decorated cakes from the mid 50s until she passed away in 1974. Maid of Scandanavia was the “go to ” place for all my mom’s decorating needs. I grew up looking at the Mail Box News every month it came. When I too followed in her footsteps I used M of S as well for some of my cake decorating equipment. I really missed them when they went out of business. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures from there. Really enjoyed looking back at the artistry that one hardly ever sees nowadays.

9. Debbie Reply

July 24, 2013 at 9:19 pm

OMG!!! I used to decorate cakes & still have all my Maid of Scandinavia cake decorating books…(in storage!!)
    I found the BEST carrot cake recipe in one of them that I used to use all the time for my wedding cakes.
    I loaned out that particular book and of course never got it back!! And have lost the recipe.
    Does anyone out there have the recipe?
    (So funny…I looked through those magazines so many, many times…I recognize every one of the cakes above!!)
    Debbie

• RetroRuth Reply

July 24, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Debbie! Do you remember what issue it was in? Even the year? I have all of 1968-1973, and if you could narrow it down I could take a look for you and see if I can find it!

10. Pingback: Vintage Halloween Cakes With Some Fabulous Decorating | No Pattern Required