Home » Culture & Media » Vintage Holiday » Christmas » Hostess Twinkies and Pudding Pies, Church Cookbook Recipes, Glazed Tea Cakes And Santa Stories

November 19, 2012

By RetroRuth

So, who else cracked under media pressure and went out to stock up on Hostess products on Friday?

20121118_110635.jpg

I was proud of myself that I resisted the urge to clear out the shelves, limiting myself to one box of each snack cake I wanted, chocolate cupcakes, Suzy-Q’s (which are the BEST frozen) and Twinkies.  I honestly hadn’t had a Twinkie in years, and I wanted to have one more just for nostalgia’s sake.  I have to admit it wasn’t exactly a mind-blowing experience, and as I chewed I remembered why I hadn’t had one in years.

However, and most importantly, I was able to snag some of my absolute favorite guilty snack favorites, chocolate pudding pies.

20121118_110902.jpg

Honestly, I am pretty confident that someone is going to resurrect the Twinkie, at least on a small scale just because of its iconic status, but I have doubts about my beloved pudding pies. Besides the fact that they are the sort of thing that you buy and scarf down in your car vs. the slick lunchbox pedigree of the Twinkie, they also hold a whopping 520 calories per pie which makes them a huge no-no in our primarily low calorie snack market.  But who knows? Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised in a year or so and see pudding pies back on the shelf.

In the meantime, if you want to get your Hostess pie on and you want to pay ridiculous internet prices, you can always get them on eBay. Hostess Fruit and Pudding Pies

$T2eC16hHJHoE9n3KhWGtBQpzByC9hw~~60_12

Blackberry? I’ve never seen that flavor!

And if you are even crazier, you can spring for a couple boxes of Twinkies as well.3 Boxes Hostess Twinkies 30 Pc Creamy Filling Cakes

$T2eC16N,!ysE9sy0hYiYBQp6 Ydm1w~~60_12

It’s been a fun week over on the Mid-Century Menu!  Not only did I get to post about the Glazed Tea Cakes that I made Tom eat for our Gelatin Contest…

IMG_9305_thumb

…but I also recently had an article on church cookbooks published over on Faith & Leadership, and if you would like to check it out you can head over to their website. It’s not often that I can go on and on about how awesome recipes are outside of the blogs, so I was really thrilled to write the article and flattered that they even asked me!

Heavenly Hash001

PLUS I got to dig through my collection of cookbooks to find some fun recipes to accompany the article. They ended up using “Heavenly Hash” From Ridgewood Kitchens, which was published in 1945 by the West Side Presbyterian Church in Ridgewood, New Jersey.  I LOVE this book because not only are all the recipes handwritten, but most of them are illustrated as well. The work of those talented ladies is really something!

!cid_AF8E0660-6364-494B-B241-3A2B5305F5DB

Also, we are getting some great Santa stories for our “Santa Experience” Contest! I just absolutely love reading about everyone’s great stories!

If you haven’t entered yet, you had better get crackin’ because the deadline is coming up this week!  The prizes are some freaking fantastic Christmas cards from WhatsBuzzin.com, THE Retro Christmas Card Company, and entering is so easy! Just leave a comment with a story about Santa and you are entered!

Good luck!

8 Responses to Hostess Twinkies and Pudding Pies, Church Cookbook Recipes, Glazed Tea Cakes And Santa Stories

1. Desirae Reply

November 19, 2012 at 10:21 am

I thought I remembered seeing generic versions of the pie, but I could be wrong. If they do exist, I don’t know if they taste the same.

November 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

Beautifully written piece about the church cookbooks! Really nice!

I was too late to the stampede to stockpile any Hostess treats. People in our area acted fast, let me tell you. Though, I want to love Twinkies, I just can not. They taste like chemicals to me. Now, those cupcakes and pies are a whole other story though! Yum!

3. nickarmadillo Reply

November 19, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Our local Craigslist is now chock full of people trying to peddle Hostess products for HUGE markups. We’re talking $50 – 100 for a single box of 10 -12 snack cakes. It’s madness!

November 19, 2012 at 1:35 pm

My phobia is about Wonderbread disappearing with the whole Hostess thing – the only bread my husband likes is the Wonderbread smart white bread!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

November 19, 2012 at 3:15 pm

No Hostess stuff for us. Even though we don’t really eat the stuff it will be sad if it really is gone forever. :(

6. Maureen Reply

November 19, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Andrea, I know in our neck of the woods, the Wonderbread is gone. I snagged one of the last loaves in the store on Saturday. My husband loves turkey sandwiches on that bread, so I wanted to make sure we had a loaf. This shut down has actually caused some chaos where I live, the local Hostess bakery provided bread products for our school district, many restaurants,and now they are scrambling to find new suppliers. They aren’t thick on the ground in Anchorage.

7. Pat in PA Reply

November 19, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Gaaacckkk! Never could stand even looking at those Hostess “snowballs” that they colored green for St. Patrick’s Day!!!
    Growing up near the Philly area, Tastykake cakes and pies have always had it all over Hostess. And I won’t even touch Little Debbie products out here in Northwestern PA…

8. Michelle Reply

November 21, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Ah, nostalgia trip. As a kid, I too froze Suzy Q’s and chocolate pies were my favorite. My dad would take us to the Hostess store sometimes and let us pick out a pie. I always felt like I was getting more of a treat since it was CHOCOLATE. Didn’t they make vanilla ones too? Sadly, I did not stock up due to my newly-discovered gluten intolerance. Otherwise, you would see me weeping over my hoard of raspberry Zingers, the snack cake of angels.