Home » Decade » 1940 » My Collection Obsession – Salt & Pepper Shakers

November 28, 2012

My Collection Obsession – Salt & Pepper Shakers

By Andrea

Although I probably collect far too many things, I think one of my favourite collections has got to be my salt and pepper shaker collection.

20121127-231642.jpg

I thought I would share what a few of my favourites from my collection are.

20121127-231813.jpg

This was the one that got me started – The little mouse in the cheese was too cute to resist! I also know that Ruth has this little mouse’s twin, which I always thought was kind of neat, since we live in different countries.

20121127-232100.jpg

I’ve since found a coordinating toothpick holder and butter dish.

20121127-232140.jpg

I think this one might be my absolute favourite in my collection. This doggie and hydrant brings a smile to my face every time I look at it!

20121127-232256.jpg

I think this monkey who perches on a banana is super cute as well. Although I will say that it’s really hard to keep him perched nicely on the banana!

20121127-232419.jpg

I love the way that the honeypot shakers sit in the holder with the bear perched above.

20121127-232602.jpg

Mama kangaroo and baby kangaroo are totally adorable. And I got them from an antique show that happened to be on Mother’s Day!

I hope you enjoyed this peek at my collection! I’d also love to hear what you collect.

9 Responses to My Collection Obsession – Salt & Pepper Shakers

November 28, 2012 at 11:57 am

Ah!! It’s Jeffie the Mouse!! I love that little guy AND the rest of your collection. Soooo cute!

I have been resisting collecting salt and pepper shaker pairs for forever. It is REALLY hard. However, I do buy SINGLE animal shakers when I come across them. So far I have a skunk, a deer, an elephant and a bird. They look cute as a group!

• Andrea Reply

November 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Aww, I bet your orphans do all look really cute together! I am kinda weirdly specific in the ones I add to my collection – I really like ones where the two shakers are not the same (I.e. the mouse and cheese) or ones that go in or on some kind of holder. I think pretty much all of the shakers in my collection fit into one of those two categories other than the ones I have from the Kennedy Space Station.

2. Tasha Reply

November 28, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Those are so cute! I love salt & pepper shakers. At this point I’ve stopped collecting them and have very few sets except a few Salty & Peppy ones, and my ultimate favorite ones which are little snails with bow ties. I mean bow ties, seriously! I could hardly top that.

• Andrea Reply

November 28, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Tasha, your snails sound utterly adorable!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

November 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Oh, I love all of your S&P shakers, they are adorable! I esp. love that bear with the beehives!

It would seem that I have become an inadvertent collector of S&P shakers too….though I am really trying to limit myself!

• Andrea Reply

November 28, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Thanks, Sara! I feel your pain – there’s so many cute ones out there, it’s hard to limit yourself!

4. Betty Crafter Reply

December 4, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I’m with ya – I can’t resist them either! I also try to stick to a theme. My shakers are mostly woodland themed – deer, squirrels, owls, skunks. I do have a sweet little set of cottages and a couple of man/woman sets I couldn’t resist. I also oddly have that same kangaroo set. Not woodland, but it had to be done!
    And Ruth, I also collect orphans! It makes me feel so good to give them a home.

• Andrea Reply

December 5, 2012 at 1:55 am

That’s too funny, Betty! Ruth and I having the same mouse, and now you and I having the same kangaroos. What can I say, we’ve all got great taste in s+p shakers!

• RetroRuth Reply

December 5, 2012 at 9:50 am

Yes! Gotta give the orphans love!

Speaking of s&p shakers, Betty, when are you going to show a pic on the blog of those squirrel ones you scored when you were here? They were the CUTEST EVER!