Home » Decade » 1950 » My Crinoline Conundrum!

November 14, 2012

My Crinoline Conundrum!

by Andrea

The holiday season is almost upon us, and that means Christmas parties.  My lovely husband decided to purchase for me this sweet number from Pinup Couture:

dressbefore
(Please disregard my bandana – bad, bad hair day that there was no fix for!)

Now, while very mid-century, this is not my typical dress-up aesthetic.  I usually think 30s when I think dress up.  However, when we were out shopping, my husband convinced me to try it on, and I was surprised at how much I liked it! (As an added note – I bought this from Rowena, in Edmonton, AB, Canada – they do also have a webstore though – Retro Glam that has tons and tons of gorgeous reproduction dresses)

In the store they showed it with a crinoline, which was quite cute.  I wasn’t sure that I wanted to go full-on Betty-Draper-Party-Mode with my dress, (which is a really cute look, but I just wasn’t sure that it was the look for me!) so I passed on the ones in the store.  Once I put it on at home, I thought it needed a little something, though.

A little browsing for inspiration brought me to Gertie’s Modern Crinoline Tutorial.  If you’re a fan of retro sewing, and haven’t checked out Gertie’s new Blog For Better Sewing, you definitely should.  One look at this tute, and I knew I found something that would fit the bill.

length

The only change I made to her instructions was that I made my crinoline a bit longer – I measured the skirt portion of my dress, and then added an inch, as I wanted to have a bit of crinoline peeking out.

finished

Here’s my finished crinoline – as you can see, not too super pouffy.

dressafter

And here’s the dress with my crinoline underneath – adds just a bit of that extra something!

So if you were thinking about making a crinoline, definitely give Gertie’s tutorial a go!

14 Responses to My Crinoline Conundrum!

November 14, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh my god!!! You are adorable! I LOVE that crinoline!

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Thanks, Ruth! I know you we’re looking at crinolines awhile back – this one is really super easy to do, it’s just sewing rectangles!

2. Sara In AZ Reply

November 14, 2012 at 10:40 am

I think that crinoline is the perfect look for the dress….you look great Andrea! Awesome dress too!!!

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Thanks, Sara! :-)

November 14, 2012 at 11:00 am

Andreaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! Love it! But I think you would look fantastic in a pouffy crinoline, too!

BTW, and this is a complement, you look like my mother. She had black hair, black eyes and the same black eyeglasses and if I can find the photo, I’ll send it to you. And, Mom loved to sew!

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Thanks, Sable! You totally need to find a picture of your mother! I am super curious to see now! :-)

November 14, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Look at the design on that dress! Cute! And the crinoline turned out perfect. I’ll always vote “crinoline” so I think you made the right choice here. A swish is sweet.

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thanks, Eartha! :-)

5. deb Reply

November 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Looks great!

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Thanks, Deb :-)

6. Diane Reply

November 14, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Hey Andrea!
    Good job picking out the red for the crinoline. I would have not thought of it and reached for the standard black. Now how about some red shoes and nails? You look swell! You’ll be the Belle of the ball.

• Andrea Reply

November 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Thanks, Diane! I’ve already got my glittery deep red nailpolish picked out – good idea on the shoes, though!

7. Tasha Reply

November 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

It looks great under your dress (and cute dress, too)! I recently have toyed with the idea of using her tutorial to make a crinoline. I’m not a big fan of wearing anything like that, and I like that it’s fairly low key, with just a touch of poof.

• Andrea Reply

November 15, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Thanks, Tasha! Gertie’s tute is definitely the way to go if you’re looking for just a touch of poof, for sure.