Home » Decade » 1950 » My New Favorite Glasses………….Thrifted Retro Atomic Turquoise Starburst Glasses!

November 15, 2012

My New Favorite Glasses………….Thrifted Retro Atomic Turquoise Starburst Glasses!

By Sara In AZ

Oh my gosh y’all………..I was shopping in a thrift store last week and I about keeled over I got SO excited! You know how it is, you are walking the aisles – kind of cruising along and not really expecting to find anything that great when ‘Whammo’ it hits you right smack in the face.  Then you get kind of jittery expecting someone else to come up right behind you and snatch everything out of your hands. Well, that is why I pretty much ran to the checkout when I found these little pretties!

100_4158

Holy Macaroni! Turquoise Starburst Glasses!!! Eeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a whole entire set of 8 too!

100_4157

And guess what – no chips, no cracks, no dishwasher haze crud…….nothing! In fact they look as pristine as the day they were made!

They measure almost 6 inches tall and look to be a standard drinking glass size.

100_4159

Ummmmmmm yeah, I was pretty much freaking out!

So I gathered up all of the glasses and high tailed it to the register and after ringing up my purchase I paid a total of $ 5.92 for all of the glasses! The glasses were 74 cents each! I know, crazy right?!?

Here are some pictures with white napkins in them so you can see the stars a bit better.

100_4160

There are varying sizes of aqua stars all over the glasses. So cool!

100_4161

Sadly there is no stamp or mark on the bottom.

100_4162

100_4163

Does anyone out there have a clue who made these and when??? Has anyone seen these before?

I personally have never seen this style of Starburst glasses before, so I was really excited when I came across these!

Has anyone else come across some cool retro glasses lately? Let us know!

32 Responses to My New Favorite Glasses………….Thrifted Retro Atomic Turquoise Starburst Glasses!

1. nancyworegreenstockings Reply

November 15, 2012 at 7:51 am

Definitely worth every penny (and more)! What a fabulous, fabulous find!

2. Trisha Reply

November 15, 2012 at 8:37 am

I was so excited to see these glasses again. My grandmother had them and the dish set that matched. Lucky find!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Oh wow, that’s so cool Trisha! Do you have any recollection at all what the pattern was or the manufacturer???

• Trisha Reply

November 15, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I called my sister this morning, and she has the set out and in use. There are no markings on the glassware or plates. BUT my mother remembers where/how my grandmother got them; from stamps at the local grocery store. She was able to get the glassware, dinner service and hostess set. I remember once asking if we could use them, she didn’t use them because my grandfather thought that they were too modern, but that night we did.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Thank you SO much for asking Trisha, I really do appreciate that! Bummer that they have no markings, but that makes perfect sense that these would be grocery store premiums.

One more question, does your Mom happen to remember at all when your Grandmother got the set……was it more 50s or more 60s???? I was just curious.

That is so cute that your Grandfather thought they were too modern – I love that! I am so glad to hear your Grandmother’s set remained in the family, if your sister ever has the time to take some pics and send them in I would LOVE to see what the matching dinnerware looks like! If you do e-mail me at sara@nopatternrequired.com

November 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

Those are beautiful! And for them to have survived the thrift store process? Amazing.

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I know Eartha, aren’t you stunned every time you buy something breakable from a thrift and it’s NOT broken………..seriously I don’t know how they do it.

4. Desirae Reply

November 15, 2012 at 10:13 am

What an amazing find! The glasses are pretty awesome.

5. Queen of Fifty Cents Reply

November 15, 2012 at 10:18 am

Ooooh, I am jealous! I could definitely find room in my cabinets for something like that!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:52 pm

hee! That is the running joke around this house Queen……my husband always saying “That’s just what we need around here – more glasses” But yeah, we did NEED these glasses!

November 15, 2012 at 10:31 am

Lucky, lucky, lucky!!! These are really awesome.

7. Diane Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

SO jealous……These would match my kitchen too. Good find!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Thanks so much and keep your eyes peeled Diane, you never know…..you could come across a set at the thrift too!

8. Sherree Reply

November 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Oh my! Starburst and aqua!!! I love them.
    I am always picking up odd glasses at thrift stores and garage sales. I just wrote about some in my blog this morning.
    Great find!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 15, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I know, how could you not love Starburst and Aqua right Sherree!?! :)

Off to check out your new/old glasses!

November 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Fantastic find, Sara! What a deal, too!

10. Michelle Reply

November 15, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Oh my gosh, those are just gorgeous! I have a thing for turquoise since my mom gave me her old melmac kitchen canisters. What a great score!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 16, 2012 at 1:45 am

Thanks Michelle! I checked out your blog and your canisters and house are really the bomb……I would have left a comment but you don’t have the name/url option so I could not.

11. Charlotte Reply

November 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Beautiful! I love me some turquoise!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 17, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Turquoise is the best Charlotte!!! :)

12. Maureen Reply

November 17, 2012 at 9:53 pm

What beautiful glasses, I adore the pattern! Just a few weeks ago I attended an estate sale, I came across 5 of the Libbey Frosted Candy Stripe pattern tumblers. I had seen them in an antique store only the week before, but couldn’t justify the expense. Well, I got these 5 for only $2!! I couldn’t believe it, they weren’t marked, and when I asked the lady running the sale, and she told me the price-I had to keep myself from doing the dance of joy. I love my tumblers!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 18, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks Maureen!

It sounds like you got an even better deal on your glasses than I did, way to go! And yeah, I agree – sometimes it is hard to keep from doing the happy dance isn’t it! :)

November 18, 2012 at 4:45 pm

No way 74 cents a glass!!!!!!!!! I love and adore them, Saraaaaaaa!!!!

Let’s all go over to Sara’s house and have lemonade in her new glasses (okay, vodka tonics would do, too).

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I know, CRAZY isn’t it Sable!!!!!!

Everyone……..vodka and tonics at my house later! :)

14. Jen Reply

November 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm

WOW, those are MARVELLOUS! Congrats on the find, I’m so excited for you! We found some starburst knives this weekend at Goodwill…no forks or spoons, but no doubt we’ll eventually find them. Have fun with those cute new glasses!

• Sara In AZ Reply

November 19, 2012 at 2:07 am

Thanks so much Jen, I really do love the glasses!

How cool….you found starburst knives at Goodwill – that is awesome! And yes, surely forks and spoons will find a way to you very, very soon!

15. FlyingTexan Reply

November 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Ok, I am way late to the party but I had to say that I love these glasses! If I had been behind you at the thrift shop, I might have snatched them from you! haha jk I love turquoise (have a large collection of Pyrex turqoise Butterprint mixing bowls/oven ware). I use vintage drinking glasses every day. They are my favorites. You got a great deal. Enjoy. PS sorry I missed the Vodka Tonics. Next time? ;-)

16. Pingback: Kool Kitsch For Sale on eBay | No Pattern Required