Home » Decade » 1950 » Some Recent Finds!

November 21, 2012

Some Recent Finds!

By Andrea

A lot of the pre-Christmas antique shows and sales have been occurring around these parts, and I’ve made some great scores I am eager to share with you all!

20121120-161630.jpg
I am a sucker for vintage notions – especially when I can get them for cheap! I got these big bags full for only $2 each.

20121120-161840.jpg
So many goodies! I love the packaging on the hooks and eyes and the tailor’s chalk, as well as the fabric tape measure.

20121120-162018.jpg
I also got this cute pin cushion- I am pretty sure these are late mid-century, but when I was little, I remember a friend’s mom having one and me loving it!

20121120-162210.jpg
I bought this magazine primarily because I love the artwork on the front, and I intend to frame it, but I am definitely going to peek at the projects inside first!

20121120-162339.jpg
Now on to a few things that aren’t sewing/crafting related. I was super excited to find this coffee pot …

20121120-162515.jpg
because I already had this set at home! I had no idea that a matching coffee pot even existed, so I was really super excited to find this. I am still missing two of the coasters and the handles for the cups ( thanks to Ruth’s previous post about her Greek key Libbey coffee cups, I didn’t even know that the set should have had handles!) – but I am hoping I will come across these at some point. The coffee pot actually came with another cream pot, so I’ve got spares of those now.

20121120-164218.jpg
It’s not often my hubby sees something he has to have, but this small puma he was set on – and it was only $1. When I was paying for it, the dealer got a look on his face that he couldn’t believe that was the price on it! It’s hard to tell in the pic, but I really like that this guy is brown with subtle spots. Maybe he’s actually meant to be a leopard?

Have you found any exciting finds lately, readers? Also, if anyone knows where to find some of the missing parts for my coffee set, I’d love to know where!

7 Responses to Some Recent Finds!

November 21, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Andrea!!! LOVE that little cat! At $1 you totally got lucky on that one!

I will keep a look out for you for handles for your coffee set. I have to admit, though, I am jealous of your coasters!

• Andrea Reply

November 21, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I thought of your cat collection when I was buying it, Ruth! I think this might be the beginning of a cat statue collection for Darren, hehe! I would definitely appreciate you keeping an eye out for the handles – I had figured I could find them online, but no luck!

2. Alexia Reply

November 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Love the coffeepot!

The pincushion could be newer than you think. I also loved them and have one that I bought as a kid in the 80s. And I just found them on amazon.uk. I still have mine (though I now cringe at the ethnic stereotypes it perpetuates) and now have a little kid who also loves it.

• Andrea Reply

November 21, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hmm, you might be right. I was guessing 70s, as that’s when I the one I remember was from, but I guess it could be 80s, too. It definitely doesn’t look new, though. I am amazed you found someone selling them new – I only saw vintage listings when I looked them up, and wouldn’t think anyone would be making them now precisely because of the stereotype reason that you mentioned!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

November 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm

You can find such great deals when you buy vintage sewing stuff in bundles like that, looks like you really got some cool stuff! And I just love that cat too……$1 – total steal!!! Love that pincushion too!!!!!

• Andrea Reply

November 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I practically get giddy when I see bags of vintage notions like that at the thrift store or an antique sale – you are right about the deal being awesome, plus the vintage packaging is way cooler!