Home » Decorating & Home » Time Capsule Homes » Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Benton Harbor, Michigan

November 4, 2012

Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Benton Harbor, Michigan

By Sablemable

I have passed this house numerous times over my lifetime and was always attracted to it, even before I was interested in mid-century modern.

So, it’s up for sale at the price of $155,000.00 which is great considering it’s located on a vintage road in the Fair Plain area.  Many large homes on this road as well as MCM ranches, even a Frank Lloyd Wright structure.  During the Fifties and Sixties, most of these  homes were owned by doctors, lawyers, business-owners; lots and lots of money there at one time.  And, the house was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright.

Built in 1951, there are 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 2,250 square feet.  No garage, but a very modern carport.  There is a partial basement.  American Homes Real Estate has the listing and may be contacted at 269-428-1150.

Photos are courtesy of Keller Williams.

THE EXTERIOR

THE INTERIOR

Photo of home for sale at 1249 Miami Rd, Benton Harbor MI

Is this not a gorgeous example of MCM, readers?

Tell me what you noticed (and liked) about the house.

19 Responses to Won’t You Be My Neighbor? Benton Harbor, Michigan

1. denise smith Reply

November 4, 2012 at 10:29 am

I like everything about this house, it;s a treasure.

• sablemable Reply

November 4, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Hi, Denise! Glad you enjoyed the house! I could happily move in there in about 2 seconds!

November 4, 2012 at 10:44 am

Oh my god!!! That house is AMAZING! Is that a built-in stereo in the living room?

• sablemable Reply

November 4, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuth! I gasped for breath, too, when I saw that! It looks like it, so we’ll say it is!

3. Sara In AZ Reply

November 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm

This place is just gorgeous beyond words…………and such a fantastic price too!!!

• sablemable Reply

November 4, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!! When you move in and put your metal cabs in, just let me have the wood ones, okay?

4. Toni Reply

November 4, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I wish they had these houses where I live and at that price! 155k wouldn’t get you a condo in a bad neighborhood here.

• sablemable Reply

November 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Toni! No jobs here, but you are welcome to move in!

5. Pat in PA Reply

November 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I could be happy in this house–love all the built-ins! The house seems so bright that I am surprised at the bedroom being so dark, although the wood is lovely and warm. I’m wondering about those ovens…are the doors on those sort of like a french-door refrigerator rather than pulling down? And the design of the fireplace is great–wonderful home!

• sablemable Reply

November 4, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Hi, Pat! Yes, they’re the door style. I had to look twice myself as I couldn’t figure the handles, then it hit me!

Nothing like a great looking fireplace in a MCM home, eh?

November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Yoo-hoo! Nobody said anything about that wonderful pink and white bathroom! Looks like a Crane Criterion sink. And that Roman tub! Well, I’d probably miss the step down and kill myself, but what a way to go!

7. Joyce Wagner Reply

November 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Showed this the hubby – we are wanting to move and were looking towards Grand Rapids but are fixin’ to call the Realtor tomorrow to see if we can look at this house. It’s everything we want and more! (Even if can’t get it for some reason, at least I get to see it first hand)

• sablemable Reply

November 5, 2012 at 12:28 am

Hi, Joyce!

If you and your hubby love mid century modern, you’ve come to the right town! I’ve lived here all of my life (in the Fair Plain area)and the neighborhoods are great! Good police/fire protection, close to shopping and the hospital; we’re a small community, but Chicago, Grand Rapids and South Bend are near if one needs the metropolitan vibe every now and then.

Let us know where you land, Joyce!

8. Onyx Reply

November 5, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Love it, and wish there were more pictures of the tub in the bathroom. Feel like the pool should be kidney shaped to keep with the vibe of the rest of the house.

9. Joyce Wagner Reply

November 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Well we are all set to go see the house on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed and I’ll take more pictures too! I’m so excited!!

10. Joyce Wagner Reply

November 14, 2012 at 11:37 pm

We went and looked at the house – which is now unoccupied so it didn’t have all the luscious vintage furniture in it. But as much as we loved it, there was already an offer in on it contingent on their home selling. It does need a new roof and lots of minor repairs but I did love it and could picture living in it. If you want to visit my facebook page I made an album for some of the photos I took. Feel free to look – if I have to add you, no problem. :)

• Mark R Reply

February 3, 2013 at 9:14 pm

This is a very cool house. Thanks for preserving the photos. I saw it when it was put up for sale – I think it was mentioned on http://prairiemod.com. I even checked the listing a few times to admire the photos and fantasize about living there. But once the house sold, the photos disappeared, and I was bummed.

Being originally from Michigan, I had this vague idea that Benton Harbor was a dicey place to live. I’m glad to hear that I was wrong, at least for this area of the city.

Joyce, I would be very much obliged if you’d let us know how we can view your photos of this house. (There are a lot of Joyce Wagners on Facebook.) Thanks.

11. Cotty Reply

November 26, 2012 at 3:45 am

WoW!!! this is very sexy house!

12. Jay Coffin Reply

February 4, 2013 at 1:17 pm

This is a great house! I love the houses closer to the Indiana border! Michiana is great. I also am so enthused to find such a great blog based in Michigan!!