Home » Decade » 1960 » Countdown to Kitschmas – Make your own Christmas cards!

December 4, 2012

Countdown to Kitschmas – Make your own Christmas cards!

No self-respecting mid century-loving crafter would EVER consider buying their Christmas cards at the grocery store – there are too many great vintage ideas for homemade ones out there!

In my opinion, the alchemy of burlap and felt will result in a Christmas card that will be the envy of all your loved ones. There will never be a design era where these are considered anything but stinkin’ cute.

How about the clever use of fabric yo-yos in these adorable cards? You know you’re already mentally raiding your fabric stash. These would be so fun to make!

Also making good use of fabric odds and ends is this adorable Christmas ornament design. These would be a lot of fun to do with kids I think. They could have a blast decorating the ornaments with sequins and trims.

These foil silhouette cards are minimalist and quite pretty. They are also a great use for left over bits of wrapping paper!

I’m not a huge fan of things with teddy bears on them but I do really love the use of calico and felt in these cards. I’d do gingerbread men instead of the teddy bears – now that would be cute as a button!

Here’s another cute one to do with kids. You just make a triangle shaped stamp (they recommend linoleum but that sounds weird so I’d try a potato) and decorate the stamped cards with felt to make snowmen, elves, christmas trees, angels, and Santa!

What are your Christmas card plans, vintage lovers? Have you ever made your own cards?

7 Responses to Countdown to Kitschmas – Make your own Christmas cards!

1. Silvercat Reply

December 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Those foil silhouette cards are cool. And I like the stamped tree and angel. But can you imagine making 30 of any of these?

2. Betty Crafter Reply

December 4, 2012 at 3:39 pm

No, Silvercat, that’s the thing. It would be fun to make a few (maybe just for the people you like the very best!) But there is NO WAY I could churn out enough for everyone!

December 5, 2012 at 9:53 am

Agreed! They are awesome, but I would probably be in for 5 cards, tops! :)

4. Betty Crafter Reply

December 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

Yeah, Ruth, it would take some serious dedication to churn out enough for everyone, but nothing wrong with just choosing a lucky few!

• RetroRuth Reply

December 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

Very true! Plus, it would be fun to make them!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

December 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I bow down to ANYONE that makes their own Christmas cards…..even just 5!!! :)

• Betty Crafter Reply

December 5, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I know – I’ve never attempted it but I’m tempted to try at least a few! Although I did find some pretty great vintage ones I was planning to use this year…