Home » Decade » 1960 » More Wild and Wacky Real Estate Listings From Sara’s Never Ending House Search!

December 27, 2012

More Wild and Wacky Real Estate Listings From Sara’s Never Ending House Search!

By Sara In AZ

Ok, so y’all said you wanted to see more homes from the crazy side of our retro house hunt! Well, I found a few more houses that I thought you all might like to see. Check it out!

The first house, listed from Statewide Realty, looks SO cool from the outside. I LOVE that angled roof peak over the front porch and window.

And, I really liked this wood beamed and paneled room too!

Even the original fireplace was still intact, awesome!

If you look to the back left you can see that the light fixtures have been replaced with the dreaded “big box” fixtures…..nothing original left there.

Here’s where it starts getting sad……….looks like the kitchen cabinets are still original ( I think???) but were painted over a dark brown color and the original countertops were removed to install granite tile.

Isn’t this awful….. the house flippers would not spring for one vanity so they just slammed 2 single vanities together and hung one oval mirror in the middle. I can just imagine perpetually knocking heads with whoever I was sharing the sink with . They even painted the toilet paper holder the same color brown as the walls. ugh.

And the saddest of all……one little teeny tiny vanity in this bathroom with an unfinished particle board side. I know, nothing says “quality” like unfinished particle board right! I am sure that upon seeing this bathroom a great many people would think that SUCH care and quality work went into rehabbing this house they would, more than likely, buy it on the spot. HA!

And then there was this sweet little ranch listed by Mimosa Realty.

Which now looks like this.

After flippers.

It’s almost crazy isn’t it – you’d never even guess it was the same house in a million years! Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that older houses don’t usually need work……but to go to this extent!!! Wow.

It seems to me like this house will  have to appeal to a very specific buyer, as this home comes across as reaching for that really ultra modern look.

This is the kitchen. To me it just looks like such a huge mish-mash of everything the house flipper probably thought was high-end crammed in there that it just doesn’t jive – you have glass, you have steel, you have black cabinets, you have white cabinets, you have wood (?) cabinets around the wall ovens, you have marble around the island, you have a different tile on the backsplash……it’s toooooooooo much.

Here is another view of the kitchen and great room in general. I am pretty sure they took down most of the walls and it looks like they also added that little wall fireplace to the back. Seems like those hand-scraped floors are all the rage these days doesn’t it.

This is the master bathroom. I don’t know about you but it would drive me NUTS  to not have a mirror above the sink. Is there a mirror shortage going on or something I didn’t know about….is this a new trend not having hardly any mirrors in the bathroom???

And yes, this tub looks quite swell……I’m sure one could have a lovely bubble bath in it…….but what on earth is up with it sitting in a bed of rocks?!? Seriously!!!!!! I don’t even want to think about cleaning THAT up. eek.

Oh boy.

Just give this girl a good old-fashioned pink bathroom any day and I’ll be one happy camper!

17 Responses to More Wild and Wacky Real Estate Listings From Sara’s Never Ending House Search!

1. apsutter Reply

December 27, 2012 at 8:19 am

Don’t you just love when morons try to sell their unique and well maintained homes and decide to gut them and make it more “modern” with builder grade crap?! That particle board vanity is unforgivable and something tells me that house will be languishing on the market for a while. I’d love to see what the second house looked like before! I loved the outside with the cute little carport and brick..so cute! I think the outside remodel is actually kind of interesting but the inside of the house is just too trendy! Too much of everything and it just looks cold. Who could live in that home except maybe a bachelor? It’s the least “homey” house I’ve ever seen. But I will concede that the bathtub is crazy cool!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 28, 2012 at 12:56 am

Sadly, apsutter, it seems like almost ALL of the homes I see come across the listings I look at are these sad old homes where flippers have gotten to them first and they gut the entire house out to then install all this horrible cheap stuff in an effort to appeal to the masses and make a quick buck. It’s SO depressing. :(

I think they’d be far better off doing nothing at all, but that’s just me. And it’s REALLY sad to lose all that old character to have freakin’ particle board cabinets installed!!!!!

• Apsutter Reply

December 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

What a bummer Sara!! You should move to my neck of of the woods, there are tons of mid century homes that you can find that haven’t been changed too much. And most of them are dirt cheap. I live in Erie Pa which is right on the border of Ohio and New York and there are just so many good homes around. Especially when you’re talking anywhere near Chautauqua or Buffalo NY. I feel like you almost need to live somewhere where homes aren’t exorbitantly expensive to find a decent time capsule house.

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I wish we could move Apsutter, but alas my husband’s job is here so we are stuck….for now anyways. It always kills me when I see all of these wonderful time capsule homes for sale all across the country though, I can only imagine the wonderful homes that surround you!

2. Desirae Reply

December 27, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I don’t get it. If I were looking for a high tech modern looking home, why would I want the outside to still look old?? Who would this appeal to?? I can’t imagine cleaning all that glass and chrome in the kitchen. I wish people would just leave well enough alone.

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 28, 2012 at 12:58 am

Desirae I don’t get it either…if you ever figure it out PLEASE let me know!!!! :)

3. Laura Reply

December 28, 2012 at 1:43 am

I’ll put aside the glass/chrome/stone look of the kitchen and bathroom, which are WAY too taste specific to make a good sale (as well as probably being priced out of the neighborhood and being a bad fit for the house itself), and just talk about the exterior remodel, which is AWFUL. What in hades were they THINKING? It looks like a city parks and recreation picnic shelter instead of the modest little ranch home they started with. I’m sorry I don’t usually react this strongly but wow. Yuck. Sara, you get a gold star for even agreeing to set foot in that one.

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 28, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Laura, You totally hit the nail one the head…..the asking price of the second house is about $200,000 more than what is average for the neighborhood! It’s SO insane isn’t it?!? And hee!!! it DOES look like a picnic shelter! But, you’ll be happy to hear we never set foot in either of these houses – I just had to view them from the pics thank heavens!

• Apsutter Reply

December 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm

You are so right about the outside!! With the concrete bricks and high ceiling it looks like how amusement park bathrooms are set up. Whomever thought it would be a good idea to flip this house is going to lose their shirts! This abomination will never sell.

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I think it is going to be a very hard sell, as it is just SO overpriced for the area and SO taste specific….I am sure they will lose a lot of $$$ on it.

December 30, 2012 at 2:39 am

Wow, that first house is bad, but that second house is utterly awful. The outside is so ugly!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I know, isn’t it insane Andrea!?! Eek!!!!!!

December 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

I got depressed after seeing the word “granite.”

These so-called gourmet/chef’s kitchens are a joke. I read recently that most people who remodeled their kitchens in this manner don’t even use them after remodeling! How stupid is that?

I agree, Saraaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! I’ll take a pink or blue or green or yellow bathroom any day!

• Sara In AZ Reply

December 30, 2012 at 3:31 pm

If I had a dollar for every listing I came across that said “granite” Sable I completely be a millionaire by now! :)

And yeah, I can totally see people remodeling to the Nth degree and then never ever using the kitchen again….people are so silly like that now a days. :(

YAY!!! for colored bathrooms!!! I’m telling you, someday people will be sorry they gutted all those awesome bathrooms just because they thought they were ‘outdated’.

6. SusanD Reply

December 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Everything in that second house is too ‘square’, if you know what I mean. Not a soft edge in the place. Isn’t this bad feng shui or something? :)

As a homeowner I’d wonder how in the world I’d clean under that tub! Weird.

As I said before, some people have more money than taste and this is a good example of that.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Sooooo true about most people having more money than taste SusanD!

And yeah, I think you are right about that house having bad feng shui! :) Something is just really off there.

7. Diane Reply

January 2, 2013 at 2:58 pm

So glad we saved our mid-century ranch. Many homes in the Dallas area are either getting gutted or torn down all together with McMansions replacing them.
    The current holiday season shows we made the right decision. We left everything original and switched back what the owners kids replaced.
    Lastly that second home front is very common here also.

Love your site and so glad I finally have time to catch up.
    Diane