Home » MCM Fun » Author » Some Recent Retro Christmas Acquisitions – Perfect Retro Santa Wrapping Paper and Brand New Shiny Brites!

December 3, 2012

By RetroRuth

I picked up some really retro Christmas stuff on my recent trip to my local Marshall’s.

First off, I couldn’t believe my eyes when they had boxes and boxes of Shiny Brite retro ornaments!

IMG_9994

Tom wasn’t as excited as I was about them, (“We DO NOT need more ornaments. I don’t care how cute they are.”) so we only ended up getting two boxes.

Before Tom caught me, I had the whole cart full.

IMG_9995

We got a box of nine smaller ornaments, which had some excellent shapes and colors. They were $9.99 a box.

IMG_9996

And a box of six larger ornaments, which I absolutely loved. If they would have had more in this color, I totally would have snapped those up too.

IMG_9998

They even have the little detailed reflector cut-outs, just like the vintage ones! The larger ornaments were $12.99 a box.

Also, Smidge the cat loved them.

The second fun thing was this absolutely perfect retro Santa wrapping paper.

IMG_9992

Look at this! I was immediately in love. This is made by Domain (in the US!) and was $2.99.  Once again, if they would have had more, I would have bought it.

IMG_9990

Also, completely cat-approved.

How about you guys? Anybody pick up any of the new Shiny Brites? I didn’t think that I would like them vs. the vintage ones, but I have to admit that I ended up really liking them in person!

15 Responses to Some Recent Retro Christmas Acquisitions – Perfect Retro Santa Wrapping Paper and Brand New Shiny Brites!

1. Sherree Reply

December 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I am a wrapping paper junkie! That is so adorable.
    I hope my Marshalls store has some too :-)

2. Tasha Reply

December 3, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I love those ornaments! I don’t mind the new ones at all! Plus, they can be good to feel less “precious” about them in case of cat-accidents…not that I know ANYthing about this, oh no.

And how adorable is that wrapping paper?! We wrap presents when we get to my mom’s, so I’m at the mercy of her paper. lol

• RetroRuth Reply

December 5, 2012 at 9:59 am

I agree, I hung the new ornaments on the lower branches and moved the actual vintage ones up to the top. I feel much “safer” now, especially with my cats love of batting the ornaments off the tree!

Oh my goodness, I totally know how that wrapping paper situation is! :)

3. Silvercat Reply

December 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Oooo, I should make a trip to Marshalls…

4. Michelle Reply

December 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I picked up a Shiny-Brite retro Snowman Candolier (from 2002 I think) at a local thrift the other day for $3.50. So it’s not vintage, but it’s really really cool and I couldn’t pass it up at that price! I need to check Marshall’s for those ornaments! :)

• RetroRuth Reply

December 5, 2012 at 10:00 am

Nice! I have been looking for one of those Candoliers FOREVER! You lucky thing!

5. Sara In AZ Reply

December 3, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Great finds on the ornaments AND that wrapping paper….I need to check my Marshall’s ASAP!!!

6. Joyce Wagner Reply

December 3, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Oh I love that paper! I have way toooo many ornaments but paper, well I might be able to sneek more of that into the house. Gonna hit the nearest Marshall’s ASAP! Thanks for another great heads up!

7. Marty Reply

December 3, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Adorable! I was actually just recently contemplating getting that gift-wrap…but I saw it at The Container Store website for about $8…so good deal!! I wish I had a Marshall’s where I live! ;(

8. Lassie Reply

December 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I’m way old and I remember those ornaments! Trying to downsize, our sentimental ornaments fit in a big shoebox, don’t need more, but thanks for posting the pictures, a real nostalgia trip! (We were ‘gifted’ many years ago with some BIG UGLY round ornaments from my m-i-l. Just grapefruit sized colored balls, no doubt to brighten up our drab home! And where were we supposed to put them, they were huge, too big and dumb looking on the tree. That was during our shiny gold and brass ornaments, and green and dark red plaid bows era. They were mysteriously disappeared eventually, and that was that).

9. Lisa Plettinck Reply

December 4, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Love your site! I’m a mid-century gal from Fullerton, CA and I recently raided all the Marshall’s and TJMAXX’s in my city to buy out all the Radko Shiny Brites they had! I put them on my vintage-looking white artificial tree that I bought at Walmart (I know, I’m sorry) for $40!!!!

• RetroRuth Reply

December 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

Sorry for what? I have that SAME white Christmas tree from Walmart and it has served us well for about 4 years now. I love it! When we upgrade to a larger white tree I am going to keep it and use it in a different room!

10. Natalie Reply

December 6, 2012 at 2:44 am

I bought those same Shiny Brite ornaments last year on sale. I was so excited to find them. I’ve used them plus vintage ornaments on the silver tree this year and they look great! Love the Santa paper.

11. Paula Reply

December 8, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I bought the small orbs at my Marshall’s – the colors are great, and so is the price. I’m old enough to remember these ornaments from their first time around, and found the paint job on the reflector cut-outs to be sloppy. Disappointed to leave them on the shelf.

12. Pingback: Vintage Christmas Decorations At Our House | No Pattern Required