Home » MCM Fun » Author » Vintage Christmas Decorations At Our House

December 10, 2012

Vintage Christmas Decorations At Our House

By RetroRuth

Time to show you some of the decorations around our house!

First off, some gratuitous tree shots.

IMG_0001

This is my absolute favorite Christmas ornament, the glass sputnik. Love it!

IMG_0010

Our tree in all its glory. These are all vintage ornaments except for the green one in the center of the tree and the gold star behind it.  The rest are a combination of ornaments from my family and Tom’s family. The only thing that really “new” this year (besides the retro Shiny Brites, which aren’t up on the tree yet in this picture) is the big red bird on the top, which I picked up from my local Salvation Army for $1. Score!

Of course, Tom hates it.

IMG_0011

A close-up of some of the ornaments.

IMG_0003

A beehive lamp we picked up this summer that goes well with our vintage figurines!

IMG_0004

Our lovely little angel chorus, which was a gift!

IMG_0005

The whole happy group.

IMG_0008

Some random reindeer and a Santa and Mrs. Clause salt and pepper set trying to take over our radio.

IMG_0014

And it wouldn’t be Christmas without our winking Santas! They go up on our photo shelves on our room divider every year.

How about you guys, have you gotten all of your Christmas decorations up yet?

17 Responses to Vintage Christmas Decorations At Our House

December 10, 2012 at 10:03 am

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuth! Love your decorations/tree!

Yep, I have my vintage aluminum tree up and have added “new” vintage ornaments I bought on Etsy. Lots of emotions attached to these ornaments as Mom had some exactly like them to decorate the tree(s) we had while growing up.

I also have a collection of decorative Christmas trees, both vintage and new that are on the fireplace mantel. But’s that it for the decorating.

• RetroRuth Reply

December 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Thanks, Sable! Glad you like them!

What kind of ornaments did you get on Etsy?? Would love to know!

• sablemable Reply

January 4, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Ruth, some of them are large, shiny w/frosting; I bought some of the lantern style and the dimpled ones. I still have the tree up, so I’ll snap some of the ornaments and send them to you.

Even my brother noticed the vintage ornaments and stated they looked exactly like the ones Mom hung on our trees.

2. Sherree Reply

December 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Your home looks great!
    I love the white tree. It looks so retro. And your ornaments looks wonderful on it!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Merry Christmas :-)

• RetroRuth Reply

December 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Thanks, Sherree! I have to admit I am very happy with the tree this year. And Merry Christmas to you! :)

3. Sara In AZ Reply

December 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm

All of your decorations look great Ruth – and I really do love your white tree!

Gosh, we barely managed to get our tree up this year. It’s been really difficult to find the time to decorate at all…we haven’t done nearly as much decorating as we have in the past. But, we have the tree up so that’s what really counts anyways!

• RetroRuth Reply

December 10, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Thanks, Sara!

Yep, the tree is the most important part!!

4. Lorie B. Reply

December 10, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Adorable decorations. I have an odd questions, however. HOW in the world do you keep your cats away from the Christmas tree??? We had a cat, and she knocked half of the ornaments off climbing it all the time. I lost so many that year. We had to pass her to a new home when we moved, and I have refused to get another cat since because of it.

• RetroRuth Reply

December 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Thanks, Lori!

Actually, I think cat Christmas tree destructiveness really varies from cat to cat. Our cats were never interested in climbing the tree. We actually rehomed one of our cats with Sara in AZ (Luv ya, Sara!) this year, and the remaining two are so old they don’t really care about the tree. The worst they have ever done is get up on their hind legs and bat ornaments off the tree. So, the lower branches usually have plastic ornaments on them. Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

• sablemable Reply

January 4, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Lorie B! LOL, I have a Sheltie, Max, who is constantly brushing his tail against the tree and knocking off the ornaments! My late Sheltie, Sparky, did the same and once had an ornament hanging from his tail due to his swishing tail, LOL!

5. Tasha Reply

December 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Love all your decorations! We have a very similar Santa to the two you have by the candy cane angels! We have all of our decorations out now, and when we visit my mom this year for Christmas she said I can look through and see if there are any ornaments I’d like to take home. I’m tempted next year to do an all-vintage tree with glass ornaments, and a smaller one with other random family ornaments. I do know she has some of my great grandmas vintage glass ornaments but I’m truly scared to put those up with our cat. lol I’m already planning a year ahead on what kind of extra-padded tree skirt I could devise to help prevent shattered ornaments (I’m thinking extra big, perhaps a layer of quilt batting sandwiched between two layers of faux fur in white, so if a nicer skirt was on top it would extend the length without looking too weird). I have the kind of cat that crawls up and either LAYS in the tree or plays with ornaments until they fall off. :P

6. Toni Reply

December 10, 2012 at 11:01 pm

At home we do a pretty traditional Christmas with lots of homemade by the kids ornaments. At work, I have a mini silver tree with pink & turquoise ornaments and an turquoise starburst tree top
    And a turquoise tree skirt. It’s the closest to a retro Christmas I can get.

December 11, 2012 at 1:46 am

Ohhhh, I love that red bird! I have a major bird ornament addiction, our tree usually looks like a flock of festive birds came to nest, LOL. I have not got a single decoration up yet, I should probably get on that!

8. Nina Reply

December 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

I love your tree! My favorite mid-century Christmas memory is my Aunt Olga’s pink tree which spun to music! Do you ever see that kind of tree on e-bay? At our house we are following the mid-century tradition of waiting to decorate until 2 weeks max before Christmas. Or we are getting lazy :)

9. Betty Crafter Reply

December 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

It all looks so beautiful Ruth! And white trees are IN! I’m loving ours this year too. Your Holt Howard stuff is great too!
    And Nina, now I’m on a lifelong quest to acquire a pink, spinning, musical tree. MUST have one of those!

December 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Everything looks so pretty! I especially like that sputnik ornament. We’re not going to decorate this year due to an overzealous kitten but it’s fun to see yours!

11. Amber Reply

December 22, 2012 at 5:07 am

Vintage glass ornaments are very precious to myself and my family history. I do suggest hanging them at the top of the tree as I also have pets in my house. One funny thing also lucky I might add, one of my favorite vintage crystal glass ornaments did fall, I saw it happen rite before my eyes. It turns out it fell from the upper portion of the tree, I surely thought it was just going to hit the floor and shatter. Luckly enough it hit the ground and just spun on the floor, very lucky. Unfortunately my pets not only like batting at the balls but somehow it never fails every year, the tree gets knocked over one way or another. It can get hectic in the house. To be absolutely safe and this might seem silly, simply hang your vintage glass ornaments still in the packaging. If you want to pass them along to your loved ones take very good care of them, they are vintage glass don’t forget.