Home » Decade » 1950 » Mike Finds The Honey-Hole of Vintage Elf Christmas Goods!

January 10, 2013

Mike Finds The Honey-Hole of Vintage Elf Christmas Goods!

By Sara In AZ

I don’t know about y’all, but my absolute favorite place to hunt for vintage stuff is in those antique stores bordering on a thrift store. You know the type of place where they just have tons of junk piled on top of other junk and you REALLY have to dig to find the good stuff…..but when you do find the “good stuff’” it’s always super awesome and super cheap.

Well, Mike and I pulled up to a store just like that recently and the store also had this HUGE sign outside advertising “75% off ALL Christmas Items”. So I was thinking to myself that there was probably no chance in hell we were ever going to find something in the Christmas section that we actually liked and that was ALSO on sale – even though the sign said “EVERYTHING” was on sale. Because you know how it always goes…the stuff you like is NEVER on sale!

So we cruise on over to the Christmas section and I go one way and Mike goes another and yeah….you guessed it – I’m not really seeing anything at all. Big surprise right?!? Then I round the corner and I see Mike crouching down and pulling a stocking off of a really low bookshelf with something attached to the front of the stocking, but I couldn’t really tell what. As I get closer he pulls out more and more and more things from the bookshelf. It was like the black hole of Christmas stuff…..it just kept on coming! Then when I finally get to where he is I see that he has found the honey-hole (to steal a line from the American Pickers show!) of vintage Christmas elf stuff! I was floored! It was all so perfect and mint…it looked like it had never been used at all.

And here is what we found! 3 stockings, 2 tote bags, and a little stuffed elf figure!

100_4419

Now Ruth, I know that Tom has to be beside himself with jealous fits right about now because we ALL know his intense love for ALL things kitschy and elf-y….but you’ll just have to break it to Tom that he’ll have to find his own elf stocking bonanza someday………..and hopefully that happens very soon. Sorry Tom.

Winking smile

So, everything had a price of $10 each and I was leery. I thought they’d give me some line about how that particular shelf, in that one bookcase, was the only shelf that was NOT included in the sale and I’d be devastated and have to put everything back . I brought all of the stuff up to the counter and asked if it was included in the 75% off sale and they said “No”…………………………………hee!……………………….. just kidding y’all…….it WAS all included in the sale! YAY!  So we wound up getting everything for $2.50 each! I know, crazy isn’t it!

Let’s check out the haul!

Here is one of the elf tote bags. I never knew they made elf tote bags until now. I think this is my favorite piece of all the stuff Mike found because I just love that little deer to bits.

100_4422

Although, the Santa on the other tote bag is pretty darn cute too!

100_4423

A lot of the items still retained the original “Made in Japan” paper tags.

100_4424

And now onto the stockings. I think it’s pretty cute how all of the larger elves are ‘flying’ across the stockings.

100_4425

All of the elves heads are hard plastic, so they have kind of a 3-D look.

100_4426

It’s so kitsch-tastic!

100_4427

Lastly, I could not pass up this little elf doll. Isn’t he adorable with all of his little freckles!

100_4428

This was our big after Christmas sale purchase and I couldn’t be more thrilled.

How about y’all, did anyone else find anything great at the after Christmas sales?

18 Responses to Mike Finds The Honey-Hole of Vintage Elf Christmas Goods!

1. Sherree Reply

January 10, 2013 at 9:28 am

Oh. My. Gosh. Those are the coolest Kitschmas itmes ever! This is the first year I have ever seen these 3-D elf items. Over on a Kitschmas Facebook page I am on, someone posted a photo of their tree skirt with those same elf embellishments. Maybe you can be on the lookout for one to match what you have :-) What a great deal you got, too. Thanks for sharing!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Thanks so much Sherree!!! And guess what, we already have the elf tree skirt! :) I found one last summer pretty cheap and I knew I had to get it because we have all of those vintage ornament elves that we hang on our tree every year….let me tell you it is an elf extravaganza around here at Christmas!

January 10, 2013 at 11:40 am

Holy crap! Tom might not approve, but I am TOTALLY JEALOUS of your elf haul! Those stockings…is that elf FLYING??? Love it!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I know, isn’t that flying elf hee-larious Ruth!?! Maybe one day we can get Tom to like kitsch……………… :)

January 10, 2013 at 1:37 pm

KILLNG ME!! Though, it couldn’t have happened to nicer people. You don’t often see the dark blue items so keep those under the mattress.

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Awwwwww, thanks SO much Eartha! And you know what, I hadn’t even thought about that blue being an off color for Christmas – but you are SO right…….I will keep those under the mattress!!! :)

4. Marty Reply

January 10, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Ah! Soooo cool! And best yet, it’s one of “those moments” we all love, as you spoke about–unearthing things that are just AWESOME and then so cheap! Congrats!

Incidentally, I think that last elf is a doppeldanger (spelling?!) of my 3 year old son. Lol!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 10, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Isn’t that the best Marty – when you find cool stuff SO cheap! Love it! And oh my gosh, I went over to your blog and your son looks TOTALLY like that elf……….it is almost eerie isn’t it!

5. georgiapeachez Reply

January 10, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Elf-envy!!

6. Diane Reply

January 11, 2013 at 9:54 am

I feel your joy. We went to round 2 of a huge estate sale last weekend, not expecting to find much. We scored Shiny Brite and other misc Christmas along with bunches of vintage clothes and a load of MIB stuff.

I got goosebumps all over again typing this….hehehehe

Diane
    Honey Stop The Car

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 11, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Wow Diane, it sounds like you had a major haul last weekend! That is SO awesome!!! I’ll have to check your blog for pics soon!

January 11, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Wow, Sara – that was a fantastic score! You’re set for Kitschmas for sure next year now!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 11, 2013 at 8:28 pm

HA! That is SO true Andrea – we are ALL set for an all out kitschy Kitschmas next year! :)

8. Uncle Atom Reply

January 12, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Way to go Mike! Sara, I agree, I love those antique/flea junkpile booths, you never know what might turn up. Very cool stuff at a crazy good price!

9. Joyce Wagner Reply

January 13, 2013 at 10:27 am

Oh my gosh – I have to find one of those elf bags!! I already have the tree skirt and a stocking that match!! Awesome!!!

• Sara In AZ Reply

January 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Seems like you should be able to find one Joyce, I don’t think they are SUPER rare or anything. Good luck and let us know if you can get your hands on one!